imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Post "Hanna" story discussion continuation

At the request of the admins, my armory discussion on the Talk Page of "Hanna" will be conducted here, henceforth.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 PM

Post Update 2.51

Here is my current list:

Assault Rifle: Heckler & Koch G36C (with factory vertical foregrip).

Shotgun: 12-gauge Remington 870 "Witness Protection."

Handgun: 2 Gen4 Glock 26s (kept in underarm tactical holsters; uses 12-round magazines).

Submachine Gun: 9mm IMI Mini-Uzi.

Sniper Rifle: Thompson Center Arms Encore Rifle (.30-06 Springfield chambering; screws and pivot pin modified to allow the rifle to be assembled and disassembled without tools; end of barrel threaded to accept custom-made suppressor).

Backup Gun: Walther PPS (.40 S&W chambering).

I know most of you suggested that the sniper rifle use the readily-available .308 Winchester, but frankly, the amount of drop it has at long range seemed a bit much compared to the .30-06, which is also very common worldwide with a flatter trajectory and less recoil.

It has also been suggested that the .40 S&W PPS is too powerful for someone as small as Hanna, to which I reply: Dude, did you even SEE the movie? A 16-year-old girl who is strong enough to drag a 300 lb. caribou carcass roughly a mile without getting visibly winded can probably handle the slightly greater recoil. Besides, isn't a backup gun supposed to be a heavier caliber than your standard gun? You'd only draw it when your others failed, so you'd want something that could cause a little more damage.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 AM

Here's the talk page, to get everyone caught up on the discussion.

You mentioned her targets would be armoured, so maybe an FN Five-seveN and P90? High capacity, armour piercing, and manageable recoil.
7.62x25 Tokarev is supposed to be a good penetrator as well. CZ52 and... PP-19 Bizon? Not as 'modern' as the FNs.
As for the sniper rifle, yes it's light and concealable, but only a single shot? There has to be some take down bolt action that's nearly as light. I can't think of any (that aren't .22s) though...
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce_GTS View Post
Here's the talk page, to get everyone caught up on the discussion.

You mentioned her targets would be armoured, so maybe an FN Five-seveN and P90? High capacity, armour piercing, and manageable recoil.
7.62x25 Tokarev is supposed to be a good penetrator as well. CZ52 and... PP-19 Bizon? Not as 'modern' as the FNs.
As for the sniper rifle, yes it's light and concealable, but only a single shot? There has to be some take down bolt action that's nearly as light. I can't think of any (that aren't .22s) though...
The FN Five-seveN is a good idea to use in place of the Walther, but the 9mm Parabellum is still the worldwide standard, and thus easy to get, so I think I'll keep the Glocks as her primary sidearms. Also, the Tokarev can't match the 9mm's stopping power.

The Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS might be better. It's light, reliable under harsh conditions, and could easily be carried away with a collapsable bipod and carry sling.

Side note: I was orginally planning for this story to be a crossover with "Kick-Ass," but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted it to be about Hanna alone.

Last edited by 2wingo; 02-12-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:49 AM

Couple of quick questions...

Why have sub-compact 9mm guns as primary and then a bigger gun in .40 S&W for a back up?

Not to be a Glock fan boy, but maybe Glock 19s primary and the 26s as back up pieces?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
Couple of quick questions...

Why have sub-compact 9mm guns as primary and then a bigger gun in .40 S&W for a back up?

Not to be a Glock fan boy, but maybe Glock 19s primary and the 26s as back up pieces?
I just figured that you'd only draw your backup gun when your primaries failed to do the job, and you'd want something a little more powerful in that situation.

I originally thought that the Glock 19 was too big and would look awkward in her hands, but I've taken some measurements and realized that, assuming everything is in proportion, I was wrong.

Using Glock 19s instead of 26s is good, but I don't want her primary and backup piece to come from the same manufacturer. It would just bug the hell out of me, don't know why. I think I'll give her the FN Five-seveN as her backup gun.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM
IMFDB Admin

In real life, the back up gun would generally be the same caliber or smaller than your primary. It would also not be a full size pistol like the Five-seveN. The reason for this is that it is your secondary, so carrying something that is relatively large and heavy will be a wast most of the time (particularly as she is already carrying two other pistols). A backup should also be concealable so that it will not be visible if your primary pistols are taken. It is generally a good idea for the backup to share ammunition with your primary so that you can interchange between the two. If you are going for a 9x19mm primary, the obvious choice would be a Glock 26, but if you don't like this how about something like a Kel-Tec PF-9 or Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact.

If you wan't something that you can draw and absolutely kill the one guy that is in front of you, you could think of a Bond Arms derringer with one of the bigger chamberings like .357 Mag, or .410 shotshell/.45 Long Colt.

As for the sniper, how about the DRD Tactical Paratus? It is fully takedown and goes in a 16"x10" briefcase, is semi auto from a 20 round magazine and uses commonly available .308 ammunition.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 PM

Default Good suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
In real life, the back up gun would generally be the same caliber or smaller than your primary. It would also not be a full size pistol like the Five-seveN. The reason for this is that it is your secondary, so carrying something that is relatively large and heavy will be a wast most of the time (particularly as she is already carrying two other pistols). A backup should also be concealable so that it will not be visible if your primary pistols are taken. It is generally a good idea for the backup to share ammunition with your primary so that you can interchange between the two. If you are going for a 9x19mm primary, the obvious choice would be a Glock 26, but if you don't like this how about something like a Kel-Tec PF-9 or Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact.

If you wan't something that you can draw and absolutely kill the one guy that is in front of you, you could think of a Bond Arms derringer with one of the bigger chamberings like .357 Mag, or .410 shotshell/.45 Long Colt.

As for the sniper, how about the DRD Tactical Paratus? It is fully takedown and goes in a 16"x10" briefcase, is semi auto from a 20 round magazine and uses commonly available .308 ammunition.
I've heard good things about the Px4, so I think I'll go with that one. The .357 Magnum derringer sounds good, too.

Wow, a more perfect sniper rifle for Hanna's needs really could not exist (at least not until they figure out a way to make the .408 CheyTac M-200 Intervention fit into a briefcase).
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 AM

Lightbulb Update 3

Assault Rifle: Heckler & Koch G36C (with factory vertical foregrip).

Shotgun: 12-gauge Remington 870 "Witness Protection."

Handgun: 2 Gen4 Glock 19s (kept in underarm tactical holsters; uses 17-round magazines).

Submachine Gun: 9mm IMI Mini-Uzi (barrel threaded to accommodate suppressor).

Sniper Rifle: DRD Tactical Paratus-SBR-12.

Backup Guns: Walther PPS (.40 S&W chambering); FN Five-seveN Tactical (armor-piercing SS190 ammo); Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact; Bond Arms Snake Slayer derringer (.357 Magnum chambering); Glock 36.

You all gave good suggestions, and it hit me that, since Hanna would likely choose which gun she'd use depending on what she expected to encounter, she'd probably have them all for versatility's sake. Like Travis Bickle did in "Tax Driver."

Hanna acquires the illegal weapons and ammo from a black market arms dealer, paying for them with gold taken from the Nazi hoard hidden at the bottom of Lake Toplitz in Austria (her father retrieved it and hid it away shortly before he took Hanna into hiding).

Last edited by 2wingo; 02-13-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wingo View Post
[size="4"]
Submachine Gun: 9mm IMI Mini-Uzi (barrel threaded to accommodate suppressor).
If it's a dedicated Supressor you don't have to thread the Uzi Barrel. You can just replace the Barrel Nut with the sound supressor itself.

Tags
armory, fanfiction, hanna