imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wingo View Post
Definitely. She'll have a few "off-the-grid" hidey-holes in various parts of the city.
Good

Quote:
I'm just gonna level with you, I don't LIKE the AR-15/M16 variants. They just don't click with my sense of aesthetics. If it's my only option, I'll take it, but if I can find something that does the job just as well or better, I'll go for that first.
That's your choice. But you can't do much customization with a Mini-14, and I personally think it's too 1980s.

Quote:
Speaking of, I'm thinking about revisiting my first choice, the LWRC M6A2 PSD in 6.8 Remington SPC. I know the 6.8 hasn't seen much in the way of military use (excepting the Jordanian Army), but I've spoken to a lot of hunters and they all agree that they prefer it over the .223 Remington. Plenty of manufacturers make assault rifles chambered for the 6.8, so it won't be that hard to acquire. And the PSD fulfills all of Hanna's needs.
I personally think think 5.56 is better, but it's your story. Have fun trying to find any though. And get the SD3 rather than the SD6. Three-round burst is unnecessary.

Also, I might try the Kel-Tec RFB for her sniper rifle. A bullpup forward-ejecting 7.62 NATO rifle that takes FN FAL mags could be good. And you could switch between 18, 24, and 30 inch barrels as needed.

What sort of accessories are you giving her? What kind of dot/holographic sight, weaponslights, etc.

Quote:
The Mossberg JIC's 6+1 capacity seemed a better choice than the Remington WP's 4+1, coupled with the fact that you can attach a stock to it.
Sounds good.

Quote:
I figured that I'd have them smooth things over at Immigration by falsifying Erik's background to say that he was a naturalized citizen at the time of Hanna's birth, making Hanna a citizen by jus sanguinis. A forged birth certificate later, and her cover is complete.

I plan to have Hanna try to live a peaceful life in New York, but seeing crime happen without punishment, coupled with the stress of life in a big city, causes her killing instincts to come out and drive her to vigilantism.
You don't need an assault rifle to stop muggings, find some serious criminals to fight. Drug/human smugglers? Mafia? Would-be terrorists?

Oh, and my comment about unconventional carry of weapons? Bra Holster.
http://flashbangholsters.publishpath.com/
Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post

That's your choice. But you can't do much customization with a Mini-14, and I personally think it's too 1980s.
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking with that.

Quote:
I personally think think 5.56 is better, but it's your story. Have fun trying to find any though. And get the SD3 rather than the SD6. Three-round burst is unnecessary.
Yeah, good point.

Quote:
Also, I might try the Kel-Tec RFB for her sniper rifle. A bullpup forward-ejecting 7.62 NATO rifle that takes FN FAL mags could be good. And you could switch between 18, 24, and 30 inch barrels as needed.

What sort of accessories are you giving her? What kind of dot/holographic sight, weaponslights, etc.
I just looked that one up, and dear God, does Kel-Tec make anything that DOESN'T look like a gorilla had rough sex with a Ruger Mini-14 bullpup? Anyhow, I'm just gonna stick with her compound bow for long-range shots.

I'm gonna need a little help with accessories, because aside from the 100mm spotting scope with an attached coaxial 30mm finderscope she'll use to plan out her longer-range shots, I don't really know much about them.

Quote:
You don't need an assault rifle to stop muggings, find some serious criminals to fight. Drug/human smugglers? Mafia? Would-be terrorists?

Oh, and my comment about unconventional carry of weapons? Bra Holster.
http://flashbangholsters.publishpath.com/
She'll start off with muggers, car thieves, and the like, but she'll attract the attention of bigger underworld players after she torches a truckload of heroin with a Molotov cocktail.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 PM

Default MAN, did I have it @ss-backwards

It just hit me how stupid it was to try to come up with all those high-end, modern firearms for Hanna. Now only would that not make for very good character exploration (a girl trained to survival with the barest minimum of resources suddenly having access to the best of everything? Boring!), but being able to get all of those from street-level illegal arms dealers pushes the suspension of disbelief a little TOO far. So how's THIS for a list:

Primary Handgun: FEG P9R in 9mm Parabellum (kept in crossdraw shoulder holster).

Assault Rifle: AK-102 carbine in 5.56mm NATO.

Sub-Machine Gun: Smith & Wesson Model 76 in 9mm Parabellum.

Shotgun: 12-gauge Ithaca 37 (5-shot capacity with sawn-off barrel and stock).

Back-up Guns: Walther PPS in 9mm Parabellum (8-round magazine; kept in "small-of-the-back" belt holster) and Smith & Wesson Model 442 Airweight in .38 Special (+P loads; kept in ankle holster).

She'll use a compound bow with fixed-blade, steel broadhead arrows for long-range, silent kills. She'll also carry a Soviet NR-40 combat knife on her belt and an Emerson folding karambit in her pocket.

Last edited by 2wingo; 06-18-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:55 PM

Nice to see this isn't dead. But your weapons selection is IMO bad again.
The Hi-Power clone should be OK, but I would go with Glock or SiG. Modern, compact, readily available parts, just better. You should be able to get one anywhere in the US

AK-102: Absolutely not. Never. Ever. You want to have a gun that no one else in the USA has, with spare parts unavailable, and very limited options for accessories. I think I said this earlier, but if you're in the US and using 5.56, it's basically AR-15 or nothing. About 6 minor nations use the AK-102, and the nearest is Venezuela. That's where spare parts are coming from.
Get an AR-15. I'd have 10.5, 14.5, and maybe 16" barreled uppers for it. That would allow you to go CQB or snipe just by changing the upper. Like I said before, when in Rome, do as the Romans.

S&W M76: Another bad choice. There were never a whole lot of them, and production ended 40 years ago. Spare parts are an issue, ergonomics are probably bad, and you can't put dot sight and other goodies on it. I would recommend...almost anything else. Uzi/Mini Uzi, MP5A3, MP5K-PDW, B&T MP9.
A TEC-9 might be nice if you need a disposable SMG. Essentially, anything in 9x19, with readily available spare parts.

Shotgun: Good choice, but very limiting. I'd go with the Mossberg JIC you picked earlier.

Back-ups: good choices. But get a good-quality hip holster for your primary pistol, and don't carry all 3 pistols at once. Completely unnecessary and heavy.

Also, you know the AKMSU? I think that if you got one of those it would make a nice concealable assault rifle. Use 20-round mags, put a mini red dot on a railed handgrip, and practice opening the stock while drawing. Serious short-range firepower, if very noisy.

BTW, I came across a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fanfic were Dr. Walsh (evil doctor lady from Season 4) and Marissa worked together, so Hanna ends up joining up with Buffy (who's joined the Army) and Jason Bourne to take her out. Want a link?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

If you want guns that would be readily available to criminals, if memory serves S&W 9mm automatics are one of the more commonly used higher end pistols used by criminals, so you could go with something like a 5906 or 915 for the primary, or a 3913 for the secondary. Also, Mossberg 500s are the most common pump action used by criminals so I would go with a variant of that.

Like Mandolin said an AR-15 carbine is pretty much a no brainer for the AR, and it has the advantage that it is easy to convert to full auto. Similarly for the SMG you could go for a Colt one, maybe a Model 991, or if you want something shorter maybe the Model 633 (this is pretty rare, but it is pretty much just a chopped down 635 so wouldn't be hard to mod one to this spec).
Old 06-19-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Shotgun: Good choice, but very limiting. I'd go with the Mossberg JIC you picked earlier.
What exactly is "limiting" about it?

Quote:
Back-ups: good choices. But get a good-quality hip holster for your primary pistol, and don't carry all 3 pistols at once. Completely unnecessary and heavy.
She'll carry only her primary and the Walther when she's on patrol. The S&W is her "off-duty" gun.

Quote:
BTW, I came across a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fanfic were Dr. Walsh (evil doctor lady from Season 4) and Marissa worked together, so Hanna ends up joining up with Buffy (who's joined the Army) and Jason Bourne to take her out. Want a link?
No thanks, I'm not really into either Buffy or Jason Bourne. Although I do have a few ideas for a Hanna/Dirty Harry crossover.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
What exactly is "limiting" about it?
No stock is bad, much harder to aim. A top or side-folding stock would be nice. The short barrel is OK.

Quote:
She'll carry only her primary and the Walther when she's on patrol. The S&W is her "off-duty" gun.
Sounds good.

Quote:
No thanks, I'm not really into either Buffy or Jason Bourne. Although I do have a few ideas for a Hanna/Dirty Harry crossover.
Ok, I just found that the author managed several very impressive things: A. He wrote a good fanfic, and used good grammar. B. He wrote Buffy first-person very well. C. The military was portrayed correctly and competent. Pretty sure the author is current/former military, it's that good IMO. D. The crossovers work. It crosses over with Predator, Bourne, Hanna, Splinter Cell, The A-team, Bionic Man and Bionic Woman, The Exorsist (No, seriously) and a couple others and IMO does it well.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
No stock is bad, much harder to aim. A top or side-folding stock would be nice. The short barrel is OK.

Sounds good.

Ok, I just found that the author managed several very impressive things: A. He wrote a good fanfic, and used good grammar. B. He wrote Buffy first-person very well. C. The military was portrayed correctly and competent. Pretty sure the author is current/former military, it's that good IMO. D. The crossovers work. It crosses over with Predator, Bourne, Hanna, Splinter Cell, The A-team, Bionic Man and Bionic Woman, The Exorsist (No, seriously) and a couple others and IMO does it well.
Okay, we'll go back to the Mossberg 500 JIC II, swap the Hi-Power clone with a SIG-Sauer P228, and replace the AK with the Colt Model 933. How's that?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:44 AM

Default Okay, I think I've finally got a good list

Primary Handguns: Duel SIG-Sauer P228s in 9mm Parabellum (one kept in hip holster, one in shoulder holster).

Assault Rifle: Colt Model 933 carbine in 5.56mm NATO.

Shotgun: 12-gauge Mossberg 500 JIC II (00 buckshot, pistol-grip modified to attached 6-position M4 stock).

Sub-Machine Gun: IMI Mini-Uzi in 9mm Parabellum.

Back-Up Guns: Walther PPS in 9mm Parabellum (8-round magazine, kept in "small-of-the-back" belt holster), Smith & Wesson Model 442 Airweight in .38 Special (+P loads, kept in ankle holster).

Other Weapons: Soviet NR-40 combat knife, Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife, Emerson folding combat karambit, Kubotan.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Primary Handguns: Duel SIG-Sauer P228s in 9mm Parabellum (one kept in hip holster, one in shoulder holster).

Assault Rifle: Colt Model 933 carbine in 5.56mm NATO.

Shotgun: 12-gauge Mossberg 500 JIC II (00 buckshot, pistol-grip modified to attached 6-position M4 stock).

Sub-Machine Gun: IMI Mini-Uzi in 9mm Parabellum.

Back-Up Guns: Walther PPS in 9mm Parabellum (8-round magazine, kept in "small-of-the-back" belt holster), Smith & Wesson Model 442 Airweight in .38 Special (+P loads, kept in ankle holster).

Other Weapons: Soviet NR-40 combat knife, Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife, Emerson folding combat karambit, Kubotan.
Pretty good. But IMO only carry 1 P228 at a time.

Tags
armory, fanfiction, hanna