imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 09-02-2020, 03:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default For all Mankind

I just randomly saw a trailer of the Apple TV series and it's about an alternate history where if the Soviets landed on the moon first and it escalated the US to catch up. Season 2 shows what might be a military incursion on the moon with somewhat period correct ARs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U48vnfP0Rjo

From the looks of it, it looks the rifles have an A1 upper because of the rear sight and an adjustable stock with Colt scopes on top. But the barrel profile looks like an A2 so this might be a modified C7

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-03-2020, 01:26 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I just randomly saw a trailer of the Apple TV series and it's about an alternate history where if the Soviets landed on the moon first and it escalated the US to catch up. Season 2 shows what might be a military incursion on the moon with somewhat period correct ARs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U48vnfP0Rjo

From the looks of it, it looks the rifles have an A1 upper because of the rear sight and an adjustable stock with Colt scopes on top. But the barrel profile looks like an A2 so this might be a modified C7
A C7 (Colt 715) would have a brass deflector, which those guns don't have. Colt made URGs which had A1 uppers and heavier profile barrels (e.g. the 611). It's possible that that's what was used here; either that, or the armorer just stuck A2 barrels on A1 uppers for whatever reason.

Those guns do feature some accessories that are anachronistic - e.g. the A2 hand guards and the M4 "LE" stocks, which didn't become available until 2001-ish. Also, those Colt scopes may be anachronistic depending on the year in which the specific episodes are set. (The show apparently takes place in a range of years from 1969 to the mid-1970s.)

Last edited by MT2008; 09-03-2020 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:08 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
A C7 (Colt 715) would have a brass deflector, which those guns don't have. Colt made URGs which had A1 uppers and heavier profile barrels (e.g. the 611). It's possible that that's what was used here; either that, or the armorer just stuck A2 barrels on A1 uppers for whatever reason.

Those guns do feature some accessories that are anachronistic - e.g. the A2 hand guards and the M4 "LE" stocks, which didn't become available until 2001-ish. Also, those Colt scopes may be anachronistic depending on the year in which the specific episodes are set. (The show apparently takes place in a range of years from 1969 to the mid-1970s.)
If you watched the trailer, the weapons were should after a speech from Reagan, so I think it's at least 1983 because the last episode mentions that exact year. So the A2 handguard would make sense ish for the time period

I can't tell if those are M4 LE stocks or early adjustable stocks

Since this is an alternate 1980s, we can assume some slight advancement in tech is forgivable as long as we don't see rails and modern red dots far ahead of the time period

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 09-03-2020 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:23 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
If you watched the trailer, the weapons were should after a speech from Reagan, so I think it's at least 1983 because the last episode mentions that exact year. So the A2 handguard would make sense ish for the time period

I can't tell if those are M4 LE stocks or early adjustable stocks

Since this is an alternate 1980s, we can assume some slight advancement in tech is forgivable as long as we don't see rails and modern red dots far ahead of the time period
They're definitely equipped with LE stocks, not N1 CAR stocks or the early aluminum stocks (either of which would have been more accurate for the time period).

So it turns out that ISS' Instagram account has posted pics of the weapons - see here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQmRtmprQY3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Apparently, these guns are referred to as the NASA M16N2 L.A.R. (Lunar Automatic Rifle). They were also apparently built upon DSA lower receivers.