imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 AM
AdAstra2009's Avatar
AdAstra2009 AdAstra2009 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,067
Default

When I was in Egypt with the MFO we had people having Negligent discharges into the clearing barrel because they didn't realize they had to drop the magazine before charging their weapon and pulling the trigger.
We also had this one moron who somehow managed to drop an M249 from a guard tower. Only thing that was salvageable was the receiver and the barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-17-2012, 05:06 AM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The scorched state of California
Posts: 2,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
We also had this one moron who somehow managed to drop an M249 from a guard tower. Only thing that was salvageable was the receiver and the barrel.
I thought weapons were tested to survive such drops?
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 AM
AdAstra2009's Avatar
AdAstra2009 AdAstra2009 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I thought weapons were tested to survive such drops?
Heh plastic furniture isn't going to survive a drop from that high onto a concrete foundation.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 AM
The Wierd It's Avatar
The Wierd It The Wierd It is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in England.
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Heh plastic furniture isn't going to survive a drop from that high onto a concrete foundation.
Read: broke the stock, pistol grip, handguard and part of the heat shield.
__________________
You seem nervous... Is it the accent? Do you want to know how I got it?

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 PM
ColonelTomb ColonelTomb is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
When I was in Egypt with the MFO we had people having Negligent discharges into the clearing barrel because they didn't realize they had to drop the magazine before charging their weapon and pulling the trigger.
We also had this one moron who somehow managed to drop an M249 from a guard tower. Only thing that was salvageable was the receiver and the barrel.
LOL! That is pretty bad. Those things aren't cheap . I have one that my dad told me: he once went to an indoor range and there was some guy there with his (I guess) young teenage son. Dad hands the son a .357 revolver and the kid proceeds to shoot the ceiling with it multiple times....not good for the ceiling to say the least.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2012, 02:58 PM
AdAstra2009's Avatar
AdAstra2009 AdAstra2009 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelTomb View Post
LOL! That is pretty bad. Those things aren't cheap . I have one that my dad told me: he once went to an indoor range and there was some guy there with his (I guess) young teenage son. Dad hands the son a .357 revolver and the kid proceeds to shoot the ceiling with it multiple times....not good for the ceiling to say the least.
Multiple times! I could see someone doing that with an uzi or something but with a revolver?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2012, 03:03 PM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,912
Default

A few years back my buddy was showing me the shotgun his grandfather had just gave him and ended up pointing it right at my chest, so I took it from him, checked it, and gave him a lengthy lecture on proper gun handling before letting him have his shotgun back.
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-18-2012, 03:53 PM
commando552 commando552 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England
Posts: 527
Default

I have two that spring to mind. The first was told to me by a soldier friend, apparently one day out on the ranges a fellow recruit was shooting his L85 with iron sights, and was adjusting the position of the gun in his shoulder between shots when he ND'd. Not normally a massive problem, gun was pointing down range so there was no immediate danger. However the butt of the gun wasn't against his shoulder and the iron sight was just in front of his face meaning that the gun kicked back and the iron sights hit him in the face and fractured his cheek bone. To add to it, this would normally be left to heal by itself, but he then fell over whilst drunk (apparently he was a fuck-up in several ways) and messed it up more, meaning he had to have an operation where they cut between his gum and inside lip to stick a plate up there.

Second was during a counter piracy patrol in the Gulf of Aden when a Merlin flying from a Royal Navy ship was sent towards a merchant vessel which was asking for help. There was a small boat tailing it, and the Marine snipers on board could see that the people on board had AKs along with an RPG. When they saw the Merlin they tuned away from the boat and started throwing their weapons into the sea, but then the guy with the RPG accidentally fied it straight down into the deck of their boat. The warhead didn't detonate, but the boat very quickly sunk and the would be pirates ended up being rescued by Royal Marine ORCs.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-18-2012, 03:57 PM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Heh plastic furniture isn't going to survive a drop from that high onto a concrete foundation.
There's a YouTube video here of a guy torture-testing his Glock by dropping it from a plane. Also, I remember reading that the Austrian Army's torture test for the AUG involved dropping it 50 feet onto concrete (and the rifle was undamaged by the fall). With these examples in mind, I'm actually a little surprised that a U.S. mil-spec weapon couldn't survive falling from a guard tower - which I assume was no higher than 50 feet? Then again, a SAW is a larger, heavier weapon with more moving parts.
__________________
Cry "Havoc," and let slip the hogs of war.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-18-2012, 04:03 PM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
When they saw the Merlin they tuned away from the boat and started throwing their weapons into the sea, but then the guy with the RPG accidentally fied it straight down into the deck of their boat. The warhead didn't detonate, but the boat very quickly sunk and the would be pirates ended up being rescued by Royal Marine ORCs.
That's awesome
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.