imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 05-29-2009, 04:44 PM

Default Stupidest Guns used in Movies

Well, wondering what you think are the stupidest guns to use in a movie. Weve all seen cops with Desert Eagles and 1911s in ankle holsters. Yesterday I saw Terminator and they all carry 5.56mm carbines, when a .308AP round would be way more effective. In predator Jesse The Gubanatorial Body Ventura used a minigun as a personal weapon. Wondering what you think may be the dumbest un ever to be used in a movie, or worst mistakes.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:22 PM

well in Terminator's defense, its the future and they are staying at a military base, who uses 5.56.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:01 PM

The handheld miniguns to me (at least in Jesse Ventura's case) aren't necessarily dumb, just over-exaggerated for entertainment purposes. But a killer cyborg from 2029 more than likely wouldn't have much difficulty carrying and firing one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
well in Terminator's defense, its the future and they are staying at a military base, who uses 5.56.
Not to mention they don't really have the luxury to be picky about what they use, considering machines dominate the world and humanity is in hiding. I seriously doubt they've got factories pumping out weapons and ammo for them. That, and 5.56 seemed to be working pretty well for them.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 PM

I debated for some time as to how to answer this question...only to realize that this is an exceptionally stupid question.

There really are NO stupid guns that have ever been used in movies. Not even the Desert Eagle, as painfully overused as that is. Now, HOW it's used...that's the big question. The M1911A1's an awesome gun, but you give it to Steven Seagal in any one of his movies after 2001, and he can make even that gun look dumb. On the flip side, a silenced Ruger Mk. II might not seem like much, but the right movie with the right circumstances (1995's Assassins) can make me want to own that gun.

It don't take much to make any gun, even one you are madly in love with, look undesirable and jackass-worthy. Just give it to...well, a jackass, and film it.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
I debated for some time as to how to answer this question...only to realize that this is an exceptionally stupid question.

There really are NO stupid guns that have ever been used in movies. Not even the Desert Eagle, as painfully overused as that is. Now, HOW it's used...that's the big question. The M1911A1's an awesome gun, but you give it to Steven Seagal in any one of his movies after 2001, and he can make even that gun look dumb. On the flip side, a silenced Ruger Mk. II might not seem like much, but the right movie with the right circumstances (1995's Assassins) can make me want to own that gun.

It don't take much to make any gun, even one you are madly in love with, look undesirable and jackass-worthy. Just give it to...well, a jackass, and film it.
Well said.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 PM

In the first terminator they had lazers and G3s. The new one 556, which is shown just bouncing off. A full sized gun as a BUG or held in ankle holsters seems stupid. A DEAG used by cops or military? Stupid. Dirty Harry firing a harpoon offhand? Theres a reason there mounted. A tactical 500 mag? Okay punisher...
Old 05-31-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Well, wondering what you think are the stupidest guns to use in a movie. Weve all seen cops with Desert Eagles and 1911s in ankle holsters. Yesterday I saw Terminator and they all carry 5.56mm carbines, when a .308AP round would be way more effective. In predator Jesse The Gubanatorial Body Ventura used a minigun as a personal weapon. Wondering what you think may be the dumbest un ever to be used in a movie, or worst mistakes.
I think they weren't using 7.62 NATO rifles because they aren't enough of them or something seeing as there aren't that many of them serving as the main service rifle of most countries.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:11 AM

The Desert Eagle's an ok gun, but it's overused in movies! If you've seen "Natural Born Killers", Tom Sizemore is carry a big, flashy, stainless Desert Eagle IN A HIP HOLSTER! If you're senseable, you'd carry it in a shoulder holster. And another thing, they've made a gold plated version. Only dumbass pimps, wannabe gangsters ( I'm not degrading myself to an idiot rapper by saying "gangsta"), and the rich would arry them in that configuration. The stianless ones are pretty, though. Anyway (enough ranting here), It's nice. In my story, the character of Ares carries a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle Mk XlX with stainless frame and a blued slide and barrel. I've choosen this style of finish because it is beautiful and threating at the same time.

Last edited by Swordfish941; 12-31-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
The Desert Eagle's an ok gun, but it's overused in movies! If you've seen "Natural Born Killers", Tom Sizemore is carry a big, flashy, stainless Desert Eagle IN A HIP HOLSTER! If you're senseable, you'd carry it in a shoulder holster. And another thing, they've made a gold plated version. Only dumbass pimps, wannabe gangsters ( I'm not degrading myself to an idiot rapper by saying "gangsta"), and the rich. The stianless ones are pretty, though. Anyway (enough ranting there), It's nice. In my story, the character of Ares carries a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle Mk XlX with stainless frame and a blued slide and barrel. I've choosen this style of finish because it is beautiful and threating at the same time.
A shoulder holster holding a piece that heavy starts to hurt your back because the harness pulls on your neck, so a hip holster isn't an awful idea. I think he had a cross draw, which is the best idea for when you're sitting and need to still draw it now and then.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I got one. In the XXX: State of the Union, at the very end during the train scene, the main character Ice Cube plays, enters the train by firing his M203 and creating a hole. It was attached to his XM8, but somehow he separated it and had it as a stand alone. So instead of using his XM8, which we can assume still had ammo, he walked around the train with just the M203. In a close quarters environment like that, I dont think it's a good idea. It was even stupid when half way through the train sequence, we discovered, he needed to reload his M203. So he was basically pointing an empty gun around.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”