imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-18-2009, 01:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

After watching Taken, the Taurus Millenium Pro looks pretty interesting. A subcompact in .45 isn't bad, and with an extended barrel it could be suppressed.

Personally, If I was a bare basics assassin that wan't a good gun to get the job done, obviously some type of 1911 would be my choice. Just extend the barrel and thread it for a suppressor. Even a compact or subcompact version from someone like Para-Ordnance would work.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:22 AM

Well, the problem is 45 doesn't seem to work well in subcompacts. One assasins pistol that seems interesting is the Russian (PSS?) that's ammunition contains a piston so it is silent, without a silencer! No extra size or bulk.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 AM
IMFDB Admin

Yeah it's the PSS. It was in MGS4. The gun looks like a piece of crap though, regardless of the neat piston suppression system.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointy Sextant View Post
The character with the concealed weapon is a less than sentimental man. He is pretty much just a killer with larger intentions who sees his guns as a means to an end, so efficacy is my ideal here. Exotic fire arms however would play in well as being part of the thread of him making it difficult to track his weapon purchases until after he has made his kills.

Threading the silencer on after pulling it works perfectly for mt character, as preparation, and advanced timing are absolute components of this character, and his method. So the question becomes, what silencer pistol combo is best for efficacy and concealability? The goal here is for a man who naturally blends in not to raise any flags until after the fact, so a minimal disruption of his profile would be best, but I can write in some tricky little extra pocket or some such thing if necessary to ad some flair.

As for the Shansi type 17, could the barrel be retrofitted with an inbuilt suppressor? This question extends to all of these guns. In truth, my preference is to guns with a more modern feel and cleaner lines, at least for this character, but for the ceramic man, any gun model will do.

Another question. I swear that I was watching the history channel while eating Thai food at like 4 in the morning a while ago, and that the guy leading the show people through the fire arms demonstrations showed off a .22 pistol with a 30 or so round capacity that fired in automatic. Now I could easily have the numbers wrong, but I swear he was demonstrating an automatic .22 pistol. Now this may have been under the influence of Panang curry from a place famous for it's hot curry, but I am so certain I saw this pistol. He pointed the pistol at a target paper, pulled the trigger, and the damn thing just flew apart. Now someone on this board must know what I am talking about.
Almost all semi auto pistol can be converted to fully automatic. It's simple and wore out guns can something go automatic. There are safety concern tho.

The barrel must be thread in order to put a suppressor. The fastest way is to buy a drop in threaded barrel.

You don't want exotic weapons because they can be easily traced back to the maker and then to the buyer. If you want to make it realistic I suggest common firearms. Otherwise it fine.

If you don't want want him to be tracked, have him make his own weapons. Anyone that has the time and a working brain can clone any modern weapons. It isn't hard to do.

One more thing, the Rohrbaugh R9S are pocket/back up guns (BUG). They aren't design for heavy uses and whatever the manufactures said they won't last more then few thousands rounds.

Last edited by jdun; 05-18-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun View Post
Almost all semi auto pistol can be converted to fully automatic. It's simple and wore out guns can something go automatic. There are safety concern tho.

The barrel must be thread in order to put a suppressor. The fastest way is to buy a drop in threaded barrel.

You don't want exotic weapons because they can be easily traced back to the maker and then to the buyer. If you want to make it realistic I suggest common firearms. Otherwise it fine.

If you don't want want him to be tracked, have him make his own weapons. Anyone that has the time and a working brain can clone any modern weapons. It isn't hard to do.

One more thing, the Rohrbaugh R9S are pocket/back up guns (BUG). They aren't design for heavy uses and whatever the manufactures said they won't last more then few thousands rounds.
Excellent points.

My mentioning of the shansi was largely because I met a man somewhat recently who has somehow come into possession of one and showed it to me at a firing range. I was quite impressed by its suppression, and though my real world experience with guns is limited, but my understanding was that guns, by and large wee generally much louder when silenced than movies and TV would have the ignorant masses like myself believe.

My inexperience with firearms in mind, I am just about finished with my research. I have familiarized myself with a number of different things, learned a number of different things, including how to use a garrote properly from my neighbor who is significantly more intimidating now, but two things remain.

1. I think I need to look into a firearms modeling and/or design program to get a clear outsiders perspective for firearms. I would prefer a program with a range from small to at least medium arms for the full range of what I have in mind.

2. I think I need to buy at least one gun and get a realistic sense for how firearms handle on a personal level, how they sound, and how aiming and such work. As such, a little advice on my first gun would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking something small and harmless like a .22 unless that wouldn't give me a real feel for gun play. If so, what exactly should I be thinking about buying? And do I need to buy a gun? Do they have rentals or loaners at firing ranges that I could use on a consistent basis so that I could get a feel for a single gun and would that be a good plan?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:55 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
IF the autosear gets worn it can also fire full auto. The guy at my hunter's saefty course told me how his shotgun fired all five shots when the sear got worn down. It was replaced but he never trusted it again.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
IF the autosear gets worn it can also fire full auto. The guy at my hunter's saefty course told me how his shotgun fired all five shots when the sear got worn down. It was replaced but he never trusted it again.
That sounds like it would be more than a little frightening.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

Maybe I'm wierd but it sounds fun. If you weren't expecting it it could suck but if you knew your shotgun fired full auto, I'd put time in my schedule for that bit of fun.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointy Sextant View Post
Excellent points.

My mentioning of the shansi was largely because I met a man somewhat recently who has somehow come into possession of one and showed it to me at a firing range. I was quite impressed by its suppression, and though my real world experience with guns is limited, but my understanding was that guns, by and large wee generally much louder when silenced than movies and TV would have the ignorant masses like myself believe.

My inexperience with firearms in mind, I am just about finished with my research. I have familiarized myself with a number of different things, learned a number of different things, including how to use a garrote properly from my neighbor who is significantly more intimidating now, but two things remain.

1. I think I need to look into a firearms modeling and/or design program to get a clear outsiders perspective for firearms. I would prefer a program with a range from small to at least medium arms for the full range of what I have in mind.

2. I think I need to buy at least one gun and get a realistic sense for how firearms handle on a personal level, how they sound, and how aiming and such work. As such, a little advice on my first gun would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking something small and harmless like a .22 unless that wouldn't give me a real feel for gun play. If so, what exactly should I be thinking about buying? And do I need to buy a gun? Do they have rentals or loaners at firing ranges that I could use on a consistent basis so that I could get a feel for a single gun and would that be a good plan?
I can assure you that .22lr isn't harmless. The Israeli use them successfully against terrorists. Lots of SF commandos has .22lr rifles and pistols in their armory.

My favorite caliber is .22lr. I shoot between 50,000 to 100,000 a year when I was very active in shooting and young. Now a days around 25,000 to 30,000.

Yes most gun range has pistols (and some might have rifles) for loan. However you have to buy their overpriced ammo to use them.

Firearms are good investments. For personal safety as well as financial. Firearms do not lose much of their value if any over time even if used. So you should buy at least one pistol, rifle, and shotgun.

For first time shooter I suggest you load one round into the magazine so you know how the recoil feels. After that load as much as you like. Everybody gets nervous the first time but after that, like everything else a non-event.

You probably going to shoot a pistol first so I suggest you read this. Do not let the firearm control you. You control the firearm. Force your will into it. Don't be scare of gun. Firm grip!

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=290

Remember the four safety rules. These rules can't be broken.
Rule #1 - All guns are always loaded.

Rule #2 - Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not ready to destroy.

Rule #3 - Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

Rule #4 - Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Here is my list of top pistols and rifle. Not in any order.

Pistols:
Glock 17 or 19
92FS
Browning HP
CZ 75

Rifles:
AR15
FAL
Rem 700
Ruger 10/22
AK

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun View Post
I can assure you that .22lr isn't harmless. The Israeli use them successfully against terrorists. Lots of SF commandos has .22lr rifles and pistols in their armory.

My favorite caliber is .22lr. I shoot between 50,000 to 100,000 a year when I was very active in shooting and young. Now a days around 25,000 to 30,000.

Yes most gun range has pistols (and some might have rifles) for loan. However you have to buy their overpriced ammo to use them.

Firearms are good investments. For personal safety as well as financial. Firearms do not lose much of their value if any over time even if used. So you should buy at least one pistol, rifle, and shotgun.

For first time shooter I suggest you load one round into the magazine so you know how the recoil feels. After that load as much as you like. Everybody gets nervous the first time but after that, like everything else a non-event.

You probably going to shoot a pistol first so I suggest you read this. Do not let the firearm control you. You control the firearm. Force your will into it. Don't be scare of gun. Firm grip!

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=290

Remember the four safety rules. These rules can't be broken.
Rule #1 - All guns are always loaded.

Rule #2 - Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not ready to destroy.

Rule #3 - Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

Rule #4 - Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Here is my list of top pistols and rifle. Not in any order.

Pistols:
Glock 17 or 19
92FS
Browning HP
CZ 75

Rifles:
AR15
FAL
Rem 700
Ruger 10/22
AK

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Strictly speaking, training with firearms should go pistol rifle shotgun not rifle shotgun pistol?

And when training with a shotgun, what style of shell should I use? buck shot, bird shot, or slug?

What are good programs to get a sense for ballistics in an academic sense? Design of bullets, payloads, and weapons? Included in a down to earth understanding of the process I would also like to develop a bit of a clinical understanding of the process involved.

Also, purely as an artist, I regret not seeing the vector on that list. It has such clean lines.