imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 05-26-2009, 01:20 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
Can't blame them with the bullpup. Bullpup rifles are cool and sexy.
Were cool and sexy, before everyone realized what a pain in the ass they are to shoot.

Plus, directors, propmasters, etc. in the 1990s figured that all rifle designs in the future would be bullpups. Nobody would have thought that modularity and Picatinny rails would be the defining characteristics of guns in the early-21st century.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Some don't care. Depends on who you work with. But a good portion of them that I have worked with have asked for stupid guns, or at least didn't take the obviously cool choice. As far as bullpups, it was an easy fix for movies which had NO BUDGET to custom create guns. It takes quite a bit of preproduction $$ to hire someone to make a M590 Assault rifle or Morita Mark I. It is easier to trick out a MZ14 Muzzlelite stocked Ruger Mini14 (like in Space Rangers (1993)).

I remember in the 1990s, everyone wanted one of three guns, a Beretta 92FS, a Glock or an M1911A1. No other guns existed. Every subgun was an Uzi, Every assault rifle was an AK47 or M16. And yes, no other guns existed. And a lot of these people were adamant about wanting what they were familiar with, not with what was either correct or 'cool'.

Sorry, I've tried to push XDs on people with no success!
You forgot about MP5s. The weapon which EVERY action movie made in the 1990s just had to have. And Desert Eagles, of course...

Anyway, what is the level of input that directors usually give? Let's say you're doing a movie with cops and drug dealers, for example. Would the director actually tell you, "OK, I want the cops to have Glocks, except for the lead detective, who will have a USP. The gangstas will all have Berettas and 1911s and .357 revolvers"?

Or, would the director tell you, "We're doing a film with cops and drug dealers, what do you recommend?" And then you give him your recommendations, and he makes revisions as he sees fit?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Were cool and sexy, before everyone realized what a pain in the ass they are to shoot.
Yeah, Bullpups feel weird for me, and I read so many bad reviews.

Bullpups have a rep of triggers sucking pretty much universally. Balance is usually poor too. I heard FN has their act together though and the F2000 is known to balance well, it sure looks bulky though. Why do the triggers suck that bad? The fact most arent even close to ambidextrous doesn't help. (Kudos to FN for solving that

Last edited by k9870; 05-26-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've held the FN P90 and an FS2000, the P90 is small and really fits tight on your body. I wouldn't mind having something compact like that. The FS2000 which is the civi F2000 does feel real bulky. The butt end is a bit long for me. When I held an M4 again with it's stock position all the way back, it feels less on my shoulder. The F2000, if you compare trigger to trigger with an M4 or M16 has a stock that is a few inches more. If you got long arms, you wouldn't mind the length of the F2000, but if you got shorter arms like me, then it bothers you and tires the hell out of your arms.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-26-2009, 05:05 PM

The F2000 truly looks like it shoots death rays, but the Calico family will always be the most futuristic weapons.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 PM

I want a video game to present the Desert Eagle .50 very well.

You would pick it up off a table, and be told to go to the firing line to practice(first person).

You aim, and pull the trigger.
The gun would fire and the recoil would bring it straight into your face, knocking your character back on the ground. You would climb to your feet, and look at the gigantic piece of shiny paper weight in your hand, and exchange it for a Glock. Bonus points if it jammed after that one shot.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:54 PM

Or a 1911....sorry hate deegles and blocks.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
I want a video game to present the Desert Eagle .50 very well.

You would pick it up off a table, and be told to go to the firing line to practice(first person).

You aim, and pull the trigger.
The gun would fire and the recoil would bring it straight into your face, knocking your character back on the ground. You would climb to your feet, and look at the gigantic piece of shiny paper weight in your hand, and exchange it for a Glock. Bonus points if it jammed after that one shot.
Well give it SOME credit, it would only knock you on your feet if you held it like a dumbass and it would jam eventually, but it wouldn't jam on the first shot. The Desert Eagle has been over-rated yes, but don't hate it for that. It isn't perfect, but it isn't quite useless.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:49 AM

Ha ha, true.
I just want to get smacked in the face in first person. It would be particularly fun.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:54 AM

How about a 500 esk (snubnosed 500 mag) or a portrayal of dual wielding where you cnat hit anything.