imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 PM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,614
Default I am crossing over to the dark side

There's a gun buy-back program going on in my city, and I have decided to turn in all of my firearms and ammo for some basketball tickets. Guns are horrible, evil, and dangerous, and I want to get rid of mine so that I can become a tree-hugging, wine-sipping bisexual.

Just kidding. But I have finally decided that I want to buy an Xbox 360, mostly so that I can play the "Gears of War" games. Since I haven't been big into gaming (especially consoles) for the last 5 years, can anybody recommend whether I should buy the Arcade or the Elite version? Is there a difference in how they run those games? Or is it really just the memory for storing files? Bear in mind that being in graduate school means I probably won't have much time to play games (just on the weekends), do I really want to pay $100 more for the Elite?

Last edited by MT2008; 06-01-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Kinzer Kinzer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 43
Default

I'd say go for the Elite. I'm not 100% of what improvements were made to it that are not included with the Arcade. However, I do know that the Arcade version doesn't come with a hard drive, and this is essentially a must. You don;t want to have to keep buying memory cards. Though depending on how much the hold and cost, this may or may not be cheaper in the long run considering how much you'll play. You may have to figure that one out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 PM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,936
Default

If you get an Elite, make sure it is NIB and not refurbished. I got an Elite for Xmas (because my normal 360 kept fucking up) and I got royally screwed. The son of a bitch won't play Fable GTA 4 and a few other games. The 120 gig hardrive is pretty sweet though. Just make sure you don't get ripped off.

The thing with the Acade is that you will probably have to pay the extra $100 to get a Harddrive because the arcade doesn't come with one
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Swordfish941's Avatar
Swordfish941 Swordfish941 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fishers, Indiana
Posts: 3,228
Default

Thank God you were kidding. If you were serious, I would have kidnap you and brianwash you via Ludovico Technique so you would be back to you're old self. Anyway, keep your SIG. It's a great gun (and one of my personal favorites).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 AM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
Thank God you were kidding. If you were serious, I would have kidnap you and brianwash you via Ludovico Technique so you would be back to you're old self. Anyway, keep your SIG. It's a great gun (and one of my personal favorites).
Don't worry; I won't cross over to that dark side. And yes, the SIG's gonna stay mine until it falls apart, or the day I depart (whichever comes first...probably the latter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzer View Post
I'd say go for the Elite. I'm not 100% of what improvements were made to it that are not included with the Arcade. However, I do know that the Arcade version doesn't come with a hard drive, and this is essentially a must. You don;t want to have to keep buying memory cards. Though depending on how much the hold and cost, this may or may not be cheaper in the long run considering how much you'll play. You may have to figure that one out.
Like I said, I don't want to become too addicted to Xbox gaming. I have a degree to finish and a job to keep, so my sense is that the long run is relatively minimal use.

Part of the reason I want it is because I have several friends who are gamers, so I figure that I can at least get some social use out of it. My friends are pushing me towards the Elite, but then again, they're not exactly role models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
If you get an Elite, make sure it is NIB and not refurbished. I got an Elite for Xmas (because my normal 360 kept fucking up) and I got royally screwed. The son of a bitch won't play Fable GTA 4 and a few other games. The 120 gig hardrive is pretty sweet though. Just make sure you don't get ripped off.
Don't worry, I rarely buy anything used (besides guns). I'll most definitely buy it new.

Last edited by MT2008; 06-02-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 AM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Don't worry; I won't cross over. And yes, the SIG's gonna stay mine until it falls apart, or the day I depart (whichever comes first...probably the latter).
Maybe you can convince your offspring to bury you with it. That's what I think I might do (with a S&W of course)
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Kinzer Kinzer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post

Like I said, I don't want to become too addicted to Xbox gaming. I have a degree to finish and a job to keep, so my sense is that the long run is relatively minimal use.

Part of the reason I want it is because I have several friends who are gamers, so I figure that I can at least get some social use out of it. My friends are pushing me towards the Elite, but then again, they're not exactly role models.
Even so, you'll still want a hard drive. I don't know if they sell separate 20 gig ones anymore, but if they do you could just get the Arcade and buy a HD. Then again, I think they may have phased the 20 gig ones out like they did the Pro console.

Having a hard drive won't make you play Xbox anymore than you would with memory cards. It'll just be less of a hassle than having to keep track of which ones have what saved games and also having to buy new ones.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.