imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-01-2011, 04:03 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Cara: Keeping the progress updated/range report

I'll devote this thread to the progress of the Colt/Para pistol. Eventually I'll fill get it running and do a range report.

Had time to take pics of the parts. They're not all fitted properly yet so some of these pieces needed a little coaxing to go together.

First is the slide. Colt Silver Stallion Officer's slide in stainless steel, fitted with the last of the 3 Nickel compensators. These slides are pretty rare. It's been modified to use an Ed Brown guide rod and the front sight region has been dovetailed to accept Novak sights. It's pictured with a Colt stainless barrel. It needs to be shortened to the proper length since we have no Officer's barrels handy. Since the length can be pre-determined, I'm thinking have it stop just short of the first compensator cut.

And here's the right side.

Since Ed Brown no longer produces Officer's guide rods to fit this modification, a Wilson's Combat 2-piece guide rod was located, which fits the same.

Shot showing how the Wilson's Combat 2-piece guide rod fits into the slide. I'm pushing the guide rod forward a little. This part fit perfectly with no modification. Isn't it nice when things just work? Sadly the compensator needs to be modified with a dremel tool to fit this guide rod properly.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 AM
IMFDB Admin

Next up is the frame, Para-Ordnance P-14. Came with one 13-round mag (which sadly has a butt plate too thin for my liking), and one 10 rounder. It has an extended slide-stop safety that is ambidextrous. I think I'll locate an extended slide stop, as the frame is too thick to reach the standard one to do a one-handed reload. Just got Pearce Finger Groove rubber grips online to put on it. Not a fan of the Para logo.

Last edited by Gunmaster45; 05-01-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

The slide and frame are not fit properly yet, so putting them together took a little extra effort, but it was still doable. First I put them together without the comp on the slide, to see how that'd look.

Oops, forgot to put the slide release in for these shots. Oh well.

Not a terrible look, but I have a feeling the balance just won't be right without some more slide to it. Besides...

I'm in love with how it looks with the compensator.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Sights are still being sought out. My dad had these to put on it:
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/sk...06000156_1.jpg

I shot a 1911 with these sights before. Not a fan personally, I don't shoot well with them. I prefer three dots in bright green or white. Will update further when it's together.

Suggestions are welcome.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

Are you sure you want to have finger groove grips that cover the front strap checkering? Checkering is a pricey mod.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:32 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Sights are still being sought out. My dad had these to put on it:
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/sk...06000156_1.jpg

I shot a 1911 with these sights before. Not a fan personally, I don't shoot well with them. I prefer three dots in bright green or white. Will update further when it's together.

Suggestions are welcome.
The PO of my RIA had XS sights installed on it. While they aren't made for precision, they are super quick to pick up.

Most of mine have Novaks, I plan on getting Heine Slant Pro's for my Colt/Fusion Commander. If I send my Springer Mil-Spec back to Springfield, it will get them to.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Are you sure you want to have finger groove grips that cover the front strap checkering? Checkering is a pricey mod.
I like the flat checkering look of the Pearce grips.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=227720738

I want to see how the finger grooves feel. If I don't like them, they can be cut off and I'll just keep the side panels. Or if that's too extreme, I'll stick with the Para grips.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
The PO of my RIA had XS sights installed on it. While they aren't made for precision, they are super quick to pick up.

Most of mine have Novaks, I plan on getting Heine Slant Pro's for my Colt/Fusion Commander. If I send my Springer Mil-Spec back to Springfield, it will get them to.
Those are pretty nice sights, although I feel it may take away from the guns "cool" factor to be fitted with sights called "Heinies".

Seriously though, the ones I've seen have the one dot in the back and the one in the front. Idk if they make three dots as well, but those are preferable to me. I like lining things up horizontally, not vertically.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Those are pretty nice sights, although I feel it may take away from the guns "cool" factor to be fitted with sights called "Heinies".

Seriously though, the ones I've seen have the one dot in the back and the one in the front. Idk if they make three dots as well, but those are preferable to me. I like lining things up horizontally, not vertically.
What you're not a heinie man?

With the Heinies raised rib it allows for one hand clearing. Most of mine have 3-dot, just a few have 2-dot, P220, 92F and the RIA. I have no problem with them.

Last edited by predator20; 05-01-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: forgot smiley
Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM

Good work, aesthetically i disagree with rubber grips (1911 deserves wood) and all but it looks nice. i really like the metal trigger too most doubles seem to be made with plastic now. when did para switch from 13 to 14 rounds?

Grunt, Mass effect 3

Last edited by k9870; 05-01-2011 at 01:54 PM.