imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default More World War II Movies

I'm wondering since I am screencaping this recent German war movie called Black Book, or I think it's german since they are speaking German in the movie. I am wondering is it really nessessary or just a waste of time to screen cap another WWII film.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I'm wondering since I am screencaping this recent German war movie called Black Book, or I think it's german since they are speaking German in the movie. I am wondering is it really nessessary or just a waste of time to screen cap another WWII film.
I was kinda wondering that myself, since I previously complained about the surge of obscure WW2 movies (foreign ones that few have ever seen in this country).

I'm kinda tired of multiple pages where the only entry is ....

German Soldiers used MP40s.....

Whoopeee doo! Like that's NEWS or something. But I suppose the fans of WW2 or war movies in general will howl in protest. I figure really cool screen grabs (or really high quality ones) will make the page cool to look at.

Personally the only thing I get excited about now, when viewing a period War movie is when they use a Historically accurate firearm that is rarely showcased in films. Like the SVT-40 Tokarev or weird handguns. It's funny when the most gun ignorant viewer knows or recognizes the German MP40 (erroneously calling it a "Schmeisser", even though everyone does....) so much has this design seeped into the public consciousness....
Old 02-13-2009, 12:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

The incorrect name "Schmeisser" is because that's what was stamped on the magazine so American GIs who picked up the guns thought that that's who made them. Fun fact for everyone.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I must admit I would almost never visit a page for a WWII movie that had just the guns and no screencaps. Especially if it's a movie that features only the Americans, British, Germans, or Russians. At this point, everyone knows what guns those sides used in the war, so it just seems...pointless. If I know a movie is going to have a perspective from the American forces, then I know to expect M1 Garands and Carbines, Thompsons, 1911s, etc. I simply don't expect to see such a movie where I would ever find a gun I couldn't identify.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'm just asking cause I felt a bit obgliated to screen cap a movie that shoulds guns and actually has a gun fight, but Black Book wasn't a hardcore WWII movie, it's a movie about the resistance and half the time, you'd be too into the story to care about the guns they were using. That was my problem. If there isn't enough guns firing, I'd just unconciously ignore what guns they are holding cause I can tell at a glace, oh this guy's holding a Tommy, this guy's using an MP40, there's a Bren gun on the table that was never used. I am contemplating in deleting the few picks I was able to grab from this movie and put it to rest. Enough with the WWII movies. It's been done and over to death, another WWII movie isn't going to enlighten us more on what happened.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-14-2009, 03:20 AM
IMFDB Admin

I must remind you that Phoenixent made a good point that imfdb is ultimately attempting to create an unabridged documentation of guns in films (much like imdb is with films), but by ignoring a movie because it is just another WWII film with only a few guns, that becomes a movie we can't claim we have listed on imfdb. Please, by all means, upload your pics.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I must remind you that Phoenixent made a good point that imfdb is ultimately attempting to create an unabridged documentation of guns in films (much like imdb is with films), but by ignoring a movie because it is just another WWII film with only a few guns, that becomes a movie we can't claim we have listed on imfdb. Please, by all means, upload your pics.
But I was also in the other camp, not necessarily withholding movies, but making the site 100% complete BEFORE we start adding endless other movies. Also since our scope is so targeted I really don't want viewers to have to wade through pages and pages of movies with just '''one incidental usage of a gun''' in the entire movie. I don't want to, nor think that we ever will, be IMDB with 35 thousand movie entries. THEY have seventeen paid mods plus other staffs as well (they make $$ of banners and IMDB Pro memberships). I prefer to keep the scope within reason, and be 100% complete on each and every page before expansion. That's why I an indifferent to more WW2 movies, but ultimately, I suppose we could list each and every one (since 1940 there have been HUNDREDS including obscure or just really crappy ones).

It's funny. I kinda cringe at the propaganda movies done during the war, the ones that are kinda racist where they portray the Japanese as crazy baboons or stuff like that. Or cowards who threw their guns away and ran away with their hands waving wildly over their heads (any historian of WW2 knows how accurate THAT portrayal is....)
Old 02-14-2009, 05:01 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
The incorrect name "Schmeisser" is because that's what was stamped on the magazine so American GIs who picked up the guns thought that that's who made them. Fun fact for everyone.
hehehe. I thought it was because Hugo Schmeisser had designed or helped manufacture the previous German SMGs (MP18, MP28 etc) so the Yanks thought that all Guns were Hugo's guns, like thinking all cars are Ford. Poor Erma, never got the recognition from such a famous firearm.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Well, that too. Those propagand videos are hilariously dumb. Claiming the MG42's "Bark is worse than its bite" was a good way to get GIs killed. I like how one guy put it "It's bite is 10x WORSE than its bark." XD. And the video with the Boy's Rifle shows Hitler being an effeminant homosexual and fleeing in a panzer when the troops destroy them with said rifles. I love those videos. Imagine if today Disney Channel showed propaganda of the war in Iraq. Shows how much US society has changed.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:42 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I don't disagree that IMFDB's eventual goal should be to document each and every movie/TV show/video game with guns. I just think that it's so easy to predict what types of guns appear in a WWII movie that without screencaps, the page's value is somewhat diminished to our users. It's just a quality I think is pretty much inherent to WWII movies, due to the sheer number of them that have been made.