imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 08-17-2009, 04:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Sci fi and fantasy guns

Ok, since when do we allow pages or the BFG? I mean, it's ok for guns that were dressed up to look futuristic, but the BFG getting it's own page and when I tried to delete the alien weapon on District 9, some guy tells me that it's allowed as long as it's part of the plot. What kind of crap is that? I know we got grenades, mines and RPGs, but those are real life weapons, not alien sci fi guns.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-17-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Ok, since when do we allow pages or the BFG? I mean, it's ok for guns that were dressed up to look futuristic, but the BFG getting it's own page and when I tried to delete the alien weapon on District 9, some guy tells me that it's allowed as long as it's part of the plot. What kind of crap is that? I know we got grenades, mines and RPGs, but those are real life weapons, not alien sci fi guns.
The BFG is an exception because it's been in a movie where it at least resembled a real gun, is mentioned in two other movies, because I can off-hand name at least one real weapon that namechecks it [Magnum Research's BFR, I don't think anyone honestly believes the 'F' stands for 'finest,' least of all them], and name eighteen videogames that either feature it as-is, namecheck it or copy the mechanics to some extent. It's one of the most well-known and noteworthy fictional guns in existence, far more so than, say, Eraser's railgun which has also only ever been a prop.

Besides, since when is 'since at least December last year.'

I think the reasoning behind including the 'mysterious alien weapon' in District 9 is that like the non-guns in Alien Resurrection, it looks like it might be built on top of something real [according to eBay, it's called an Arc Gun and isn't real: "the prop is made from cc60 urethane and high density foam HDR 400, with a mild steel internal armature"]. I don't think 'plays a role in the plot' is really enough, IIRC the version I heard was 'if it could potentially be confused with a real gun, it should be included.' Grounds for getting its own page are a little tighter, but if any fictional weapon qualifies the BFG should.

Last edited by Vangelis; 08-17-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

It actually makes sense to add fictional guns that look real, just so you can confirm they are real looking fictional weapons.

As for adding alien weaponry, it isn't 100% necessary, but we've added more irrelevant things in the past.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Alright, fine I'll give props to the BFG. But this means that any movie with a fictional gun that isn't built around a real gun is ok to put on the site with stats and everything, like some idiot can come to the site and say, "The BFG is real?"

Can you should me a picture of a gun that looks like the BFG in real life?

Just because the BFG has been made legendary status by gamers, doesn't mean it deserves a place on a website that IDs firearms in movies.

Otherwise, I'd start putting the Staff and alien weapons on the Stargate page. Why? Cause they use them all the time.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Can you should me a picture of a gun that looks like the BFG in real life?

That could certainly be mistaken for a real gun with a big silly front end added to it, probably some kind of bullpup; it's a similar justification to the Eraser Railgun, which has its own page despite being all-prop. I don't think there's any prospect of anyone thinking the Stargate staffs are built on top of a real laser-shooting staff, and they haven't been in anything but the Stargate series; both the Eraser EM-1 and BFG have been copied dozens of times.

Last edited by Vangelis; 08-17-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:01 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

My attitude has been that if the page has mostly real guns (or sci-fi weapons based on real guns), and someone wants to include a few of the sort of real-looking weapons and then state that they aren't actually real, for the sake of educating our readers, then I'm fine with that. The only thing I don't like is when someone creates a page full of sci-fi weapons that obviously aren't based on any real guns (the best example of this is the "Alien Resurrection" page). This would include the alien/staff weapons from "Stargate: SG1", too, though I guess I wouldn't care too much if you wanted to include those under a separate entry since the page already has plenty of real guns documented.

As for the BFG, it may not be a real gun, but since it appeared in the 2005 "Doom" movie, we should probably mention that it was a prop and not built on a real (or "practical") gun. I don't terribly favor it getting its own page, but I'm not sure I see much harm in it, either.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 PM
IMFDB Admin

I asked my classmates who don't know guns and are pretty liberal if the BFG in the movie Doom look like a real gun...no, none of them thinks it does. Why? Cause it looks like a toy.

The BFG gets a mention, but not it's own fucking page.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I asked my classmates who don't know guns and are pretty liberal if the BFG in the movie Doom look like a real gun...no, none of them thinks it does. Why? Cause it looks like a toy.
So does the XM8. Ask them about that.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

I had. They say that the XM8 looks like it'll melt if I leave it in the sun for too long. But yeah, compared to the BFG, the XM8 at least IS a real gun, not just something we see in video games

Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM

Yeah, but the Pluto Nash pistol looks like a toy too [as does the Fifth Element Zorg ZF-1, which apparently has an AKS-74U inside it somewhere], so it's hard to judge just on that basis. It might be I'm a little defensive of that page since I rewrote it [it used to look like this], but I think if we're going to include all-prop guns like the Eraser EM-1 on the basis of potential for confusion, it's justifiable. Plus most people have no idea how the BFG actually works in the games, so it's even educational!

Last edited by Vangelis; 08-17-2009 at 11:45 PM.