imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 AM

I just need to say one thing on this subject...This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps!...Do you see what HAPPENS, LARRY!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin1 View Post
That was a joke. As in, humor. How is humor garbage? Why do you have a problem with that?
It implys that all women are bad drivers.

IRL I know quite a few women who have tempers and are known to hit people when they are insulted.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
...from a site search, the word "fuck" appears in 17 articles out of, at last count, 7,480. Of those, 3,168 are media pages (categories movie, videogame, TV and anime), meaning 0.5% of media pages contain those words (perhaps the most surprising part of this is that none of those 17 are videogames). Of those, very few obviously have shots chosen just because they contain swearing; in some cases, the quotes are placed on the only shots actually containing the weapon (eg Magnum Force). In all the ones I looked at, the quotes match up to good shots of the weapon itself. In a lot of cases the language has been there for years without causing comment.
That number does go up a titch if you search for all the different permutations of the word. Admittedly two of those results are my pages, but the Appleseed and Angel Cop dubs were too good(bad) to pass up.

Quote:
I...and don't want to either add black boxes to screenshots (which would look ridiculous) or throw out perfectly good images just because they have "bad" subtitles on them. The same would apply to ...anime.
That shouldn't be much of an issue. Most subtitles on R1 releases are just straight translations of the Japanese dialogue, and profanity doesn't work in quite the same way in Japanese as it does in English. Plus it's easier to turn subtitles on a DVD on and off than it is a video game.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
In all the ones I looked at, the quotes match up to good shots of the weapon itself. In a lot of cases the language has been there for years without causing comment.
Uh, NO. Why not just describe the weapon and who is wielding it. Do you really need to just have a great screencap, but only with "F**k you AND your mother!" as the text? Do you think that's gonna get a hearty belly laugh out of the general public??? You're confusing eliminating the SCREENCAP all together with just changing the text to something talking about the weapon in the context of the movie. I actually don't LIKE quotes because too many guys get off on the quote's coolness factor, rather than being an educational resource to inform the public about the weapons, weapons trivia, film trivia (to a very small extent), film history, etc. Sure there are classic and hilarious F bomb quotes. They also don't belong here. There is NO POINT to just posting a screencap with a profane quote. It's not funny, it's childish.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:03 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

As I've said, I'm not against the idea of removing quotes where they're not useful, but I'm more concerned with blanket rules that allow no exceptions. For example, George Clooney's quote in Three Kings is actually the best way to describe what's shown in the trivia image.

Like I said, what most concerns me is how this relates to subtitles, and I guess I'm taking your comments a little personally because:

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/b/bc/Homefront-M4-4.jpg

I didn't choose that image (or the three others on the Homefront page which contain that word) because it had swearing in it or because it was cool or edgy, I chose it because it's a close-up of the in-world M4 model. Banning all swearing would either mean I have to play these games through ~4 times (I leave the subtitles on when I'm recording for Youtube, and screencapping a 6-hour game already takes about as long as doing a TV miniseries and eats about 10 gigs of space on my hard drive*), use shots that aren't necessarily the best ones I could use, or stick ridiculous black boxes on screencaps.

*To further explain, my capture device's software crashes if I try to take screenshots, so I have to record the entire game as video and then go back and take caps from that. This involves 1-2 practice runs of the game, followed by a recorded run. Modern games average 5-10 hours for an FPS, going up to >48 hours for a big RPG-type game. It's an enormous commitment of time if you want something better than staring at a wall with the All Weapons cheat on as per that godawful Soldier of Fortune 2 page.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 08-18-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
It implys that all women are bad drivers.

IRL I know quite a few women who have tempers and are known to hit people when they are insulted.
Well, I can't be punched over the internet and I'm not dumb enough to insult someone who can't take a joke. Besides, I thought it was a funny thing to put, since they look like they're all getting whiplash from her driving.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

Tim you sure love to drive yourself into a frenzy about something no one else is talking about .....Look, if the ONLY screencap in which the gun is visible has subtitles or captions that you have NO CONTROL over has some profanity in it, no one will blame you. QUIT arguing about something that I or others are not talking about. If the subtitles are (a) unavoidable, aka they cannot be turned off and (b) it is truly the ONLY shot of the gun, then of course, it will be an exception to the rule.

You're also wrong about the Three Kings quote. What is with people thinking INSIDE a tiny little box? What was cool was the information Clooney is imparting, NOT how he says it. That entire block of screencaps can be described neutrally by saying that he 'describes realistically how a bullet mains and kills you in graphic medical language'. If for one moment you think the ONLY way this can be described is to say "You're F..ked", then you (meaning a person who would argue this) are being intentionally contumacious and contrary.

Quote:
and I guess I'm taking your comments a little personally
....which is turning this into a circular argument around something which was never being talked about in the first place. If you WANT, we can have an exception for completely unavoidable occurrences, like that which you described. But for the record, I am not talking about the circumstance you seem to be obsessing over.