imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 08-15-2009, 10:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I just thought of a good one.

Sometimes in action movies, someone will shoot their opponents gun out of their hand, but the gun will remain undamaged, and the person won't take any injury, though they may pretend to take some form of injury or just go Macaulay Culkin and look in awe at their gun which has disappeared. How in the HELL is this possible? It's not, that's how!
I never get that. If you have that good aim and you somehow shot a gun from a man's hand, he would be seriously injured from the force of the gun flying off his hand, and material from the impact of bullet to just splattering all over him.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I just thought of a good one.

Sometimes in action movies, someone will shoot their opponents gun out of their hand, but the gun will remain undamaged, and the person won't take any injury, though they may pretend to take some form of injury or just go Macaulay Culkin and look in awe at their gun which has disappeared. How in the HELL is this possible? It's not, that's how!
I saw a SWAT marksman do something similar on one of those real life police shows (Cops, Real Stories of the Highway Patrol, something like that) a long time ago.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 09-28-2009, 05:52 AM

You mean This video.
Or did you mean any other video?
Old 09-29-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
You mean This video.
Or did you mean any other video?
Impressive shot, but that's not it. The one I'm talking about had the perp laying flat on his back on his porch with the pistol laying on his chest, and the cop shot it off with his own pistol from about four feet away.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Orca1_9904 Send a message via MSN to Orca1_9904 Send a message via Yahoo to Orca1_9904

Let's not forget another classic Hollywood firearm myth; the fact that any gun from a .38 snub-nosed revolver to an M60 machine gun can cause a car to explode if shot in the fuel tank. This was actually addressed rather comically in "Last Action Hero" when Schwartzenegger was plugging away at an oncoming car expecting it to turn into a fireball but was shocked when it kept on going. Two other movie weapon faux pas involve hand grenades; namely the mistaken belief that it's possible to pull the pin wih your teeth and not suffer serious dental injury, and that a that a High-Explosive Fragmentation grenade is supposed to generate an almost Hiroshima-like fireball upon detonating, instead of a roughly medium-size dust cloud and a few scattered puffs of dust from fragments impacting the surrounding area.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 PM

I don't know if this one qualifies, but as I'm sitting here watching Tomorrow Never Dies, I can't help but be reminded how when the hero takes an assault rifle or SMG from a dead bad guy he/she just killed, they never seem to bother taking any extra ammo!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I don't know if this one qualifies, but as I'm sitting here watching Tomorrow Never Dies, I can't help but be reminded how when the hero takes an assault rifle or SMG from a dead bad guy he/she just killed, they never seem to bother taking any extra ammo!
Yeah.
The only exceptions I can think of are Blood Diamond and the first Die Hard.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:10 PM

Well apparently they don't need to cause they have unlimited ammo ( I mean Bond seems to have fired off at least 100+ rounds from a 30 round magazine )
Old 10-12-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Yeah.
The only exceptions I can think of are Blood Diamond and the first Die Hard.
Assault on Precinct 13, too. Ethan Hawke took the tac vest, ammo and all, off one of the dirty SWAT cops he killed (but for some odd reason didn't seem to have a use for the perfectly good night vision gear the baddy had, though... ) and wore it all through the movie.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Sometimes night vision can be bothersome and there seemed to have been enough natural on screen light to make night vision pointless

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”