imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 08-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default My father has passed.

My father passed away on August 16th, 2016. At 8:00 A.M. He was getting dressed, collapsed and he was gone. He was seventy-two. No warning. He was scared of a long drawn out illness so this is what he wanted. He was a Vietnam veteran and served as a police officer for approximately twenty-four years (1970-1994). I got the call an hour after his death. I left work, we packed a few suitcases and took off. I live in western Idaho which is approximately a five hour drive from where my parents live in Eastern Idaho.

Right now very busy. Mom told me to take care of dad's gun collection and all of the various accoutrements. I spent five hours last night sorting things out and I'm still not done. I have picked out those pieces that I want; M1 carbine, M1 Garand, Winchester Model 1300 riot-gun, Mauser 98K rifle, U.S. M14 rifle - not a Springfield but a genuine M14 semi-auto only, Colt Combat Commander from 1973 with the all steel frame, S&W Model 65 - one of his service revolvers, S&W Model 4516, Beretta 92FS, S&W 686 - 4"barrel, and a S&W Model 4586 which he carried the last four years he worked as a state trooper and was presented to him when he retired. My son is going to get Dad's Colt Officers Model which he had Cylinder & Slide work on about twenty years ago and my daughter wants the Ruger 10-22. That's it. Just a plain old Ruger 22 carbine, but she associates that little plinker with grandpa I guess. So much stuff. Reloading equipment, ammo, stocks, leather gear, carrying cases, parts and pieces. Then there are all the photographs and hats and coffee cups. He even held onto the program from my high school graduation back in 1986 as well as every single school issued ID card I had from 7th grade to 12th grade. Every one. Memories are everywhere.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:33 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm really sorry to hear that. Stay strong.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:46 PM

Sorry to hear that Brother. You will be in Jackie's and I prayers. Glad he went quickly.

Sounds like you will have quite the gun collection to remember him by and so glad your daughter will have her plinking rifle.

I treasure my Granddaddy's dove gun.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

My condolences, buddy.

We're all here for you.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-19-2016, 02:47 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Thanks guys.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:10 PM

That sucks. You have my condolences, dude.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 08-23-2016, 08:43 PM

Sorry to hear it. At least you have lots to remember him by.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:58 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Sorry to hear it. At least you have lots to remember him by.
Thank you Nyles. I'm home now and the guns are in my safe. It took some maneuvering, but they're now secure. All of them have been recorded and entered into my ledger. My father wasn't a big one for recordkeeping when it came to his firearms, but he paid for me to go to college. Not gifted in the math or science I choose history. One of the great liberal art fields and stresses reading and writing. Though not destined to have employment in a lucrative field I at least learned the importance of documentation. So all of dad's guns are now recorded. Though I wish the circumstances were different I am awash in firearms.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:27 PM

Sorry to hear of your father's passing. take care.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Thank you Nyles. I'm home now and the guns are in my safe. It took some maneuvering, but they're now secure. All of them have been recorded and entered into my ledger. My father wasn't a big one for recordkeeping when it came to his firearms, but he paid for me to go to college. Not gifted in the math or science I choose history. One of the great liberal art fields and stresses reading and writing. Though not destined to have employment in a lucrative field I at least learned the importance of documentation. So all of dad's guns are now recorded. Though I wish the circumstances were different I am awash in firearms.
I'm sure you do. Love to see them when things are more settled for you.