imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-14-2015, 02:01 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Auction find. Colt Model 1917

So I went to an estate auction today. The gentleman who passed was a serious gun collector. All of the pieces were in fantastic condition. There were three revolvers that I was interested in. A New York State police S&W Model 520. A Colt Army Model 1917 and a S&W Model 65 with a 3" barrel. First up was the Model 520. My pain threshold was $600.00. It sold for $875.00. Next up was the Model 1917. I expected it to also go soaring pass my cut-off. But ,as I listened to the bidding, I was surprised at how sluggish it was. The auctioneer eventually dropped it down to $200.00 before anyone started to bid. Well I jumped in and won with a bid of $550.00. Now figure in the Buyer's Premium (10%) and the Idaho Sales Tax (6%) and the final figure was $641.30, but I'm satisfied with that price. Very clean and mechanically it's in excellent condition. Serial number is 304*** . If you're into old revolvers enjoy. This revolver is massive. Weighs 40 ounces unloaded. A serious chunk of steel, but even though it was made under wartime conditions the craftsmanship is excellent.

Last edited by Jcordell; 11-14-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:24 AM

Nice gun! Did it come with any clips?

Too bad about the 520. I'd personally take the 1917 anyways but the 520s are interesting (if odd looking) guns.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:29 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Yeah the 520 soared past $600.00 with a jet rocket. I was figuring it would hit $1,000 but it stalled at $875. The 3" Model 65 went for $750.

No clips came with it, but I have several in my collection of miscellaneous "gun stuff". The funny thing is I almost skipped the auction. I figured I would be outbid on all the pieces that interested me. Guess the old adage about nothing ventured is nothing gained is true at times. This was just sheer dumb luck. In the past whenever I find a Colt New Service for sale it's either chewed up and very expensive or in great shape and ruinously expensive. I guess this was just kismet.

Last edited by Jcordell; 11-14-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:31 AM

Sometimes you get lucky. I've noticed up here at auctions handguns tend to go cheap and rifles way too expensive but I think that's our laws at work.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Sometimes you get lucky. I've noticed up here at auctions handguns tend to go cheap and rifles way too expensive but I think that's our laws at work.
There was a Winchester 1885 Hi-Wall takedown in the collection. It dated from the twenties and was in 303 Savage. There were two barrels with it. One was a heavy "varmit' barrel and the other one was a light weight job. Beautiful condition. No doubt it had been 'customized' sometime in the past, but it was very good work. It went for $2,500.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:37 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Took it to the range yesterday. Put eighteen rounds of Blazer 230 grain hardball through it. Shot the center out of the target from 12 yards. The 41 ounces made for a very soft shooting revolver. Akin to a 38 Special. The double action trigger is heavy, but smooth. Not grit and even the infamous Colt stacking wasn't bad. I know some will not agree with me actually firing some rounds through it, but it's a revolver. It should be fired if only now and again. I do have a couple safe queens, but this warhorse needs to get out now and again I think. Sorry. No photos.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:27 AM

You'll get no argument from me, sir. Certainly should be given some trigger time, though indeed maybe only here and there.

Beautiful wheelgun and nice score!
Old 11-21-2015, 04:18 PM

I'm surprised about your comment about the recoil... I actually find my M1917 is the heaviest recoilling handgun I own. Now granted I don't have any magnums or sunnies but I find those smooth grips allow it to slide a little in my hand. My 1911s or New Service in .455 (granted a less powerful round) kick noticeably less.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I'm surprised about your comment about the recoil... I actually find my M1917 is the heaviest recoilling handgun I own. Now granted I don't have any magnums or sunnies but I find those smooth grips allow it to slide a little in my hand. My 1911s or New Service in .455 (granted a less powerful round) kick noticeably less.
The hardest kicking revolver I've ever owned/fired was (believe it or not) a S&W Model 586 with the 6" barrel. I actually cut one of my fingers while firing magnums through it one time. Don't get me wrong there was recoil, but it didn't seem all that bad - perhaps because I was shooting Blazer through it?

Now what was funny was after I finished playing with the Colt I went ahead and qualified with my Glock 19. I shot forty rounds of Federal 9mm 124 grain +P HST hollow-points through it and after the Colt it felt like I was shooting a 22 LR pistol and those +P HST loads have some zing to them (approximately 1200 fps out of a 4" barrel). I shot a Possible score (in other words I maxed it) which I haven't done in a few years. I think I discovered a secret. Warm up with a large caliber revolver and then go ahead and shoot the small caliber pistol. Makes things much easier.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:27 PM

Awesome piece Cordell.

Grandpa Eli lugged an M-1917A1 water cooled across New Guinea with the Americal Division.

He wore an M1917 Victory very similar to that on his belt. He was discharged to run the farm in late '43.

Great gun.