imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-10-2015, 09:39 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
The more I read about Smith & Wesson and Colt the more I realize that Smith was just a better run company. The people running Colt never seemed to make the best decisions. That might of been the reason that Smith got the corner on revolvers during WWII. I'm firm believer that tens of thousands of men in the American military got their first exposure to revolvers during the war and that revolver was the S&W Victory model. There were other reasons behind Smith overtaking Colt in sales in the years following WWII of course, but I think a big one was the Victory model. Similar to how Americans took a liking to the bolt action rifle after WWI. Colt made a good revolver and the company's steel was supposedly a higher grade, but the management wasn't.
You can also argue however that Colt gave those same GIs their first taste of automatics.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:01 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
You can also argue however that Colt gave those same GIs their first taste of automatics.
Very true. Good point.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:03 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I read an article, I think by Paul Scarlata, awhile back saying basically the same thing - guys bought what they knew. The other part of it was supposed to be the shift to double-action focused training for police, since Smiths have a consistent pull and Colts stack. That said, I just love the feel of an old Colt - I have a lot of handguns but the only one that never gets left behind on a range trip is my Police Positive Special.
I like the old Colt DA revolver as well. I've also read the same thing about DA vs. SA. With Double Action Smith beats the old Colt action.