imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 09-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default S&W M49 bodyguard. Longtime backup

So in 2000 I was a brand new officer. I was carrying the Sig Sauer 220 in 45 ACP, but I needed a backup piece. I had (still have it actually) a Colt Detective Special, but it was a little bulky to carry under my shirt attached to my vest. I heard about a S&W Model 49 Bodyguard that was for sale. I purchased it from a retired cop who bought it brand new in 1973. I thought about replacing it, but after fifteen years it's just become part of my uniform. Took it in a couple years ago and had a complete checkup done on it. Gunsmith said that it's in great shape and I should be able to pass it onto my kids. Nope it's mine. when I retire it retires with me. It might not be tacticool, but I like it and trust it. Just thought I would share. Hard to believe it's been on duty for forty-two years. Doesn't look a day over thirty-five. Oh and for those who are curious I now carry the Glock 19.

Last edited by Jcordell; 12-18-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:52 AM

Nice old vet! Bluing's in surprisingly good shape for being carried that much.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Nice old vet! Bluing's in surprisingly good shape for being carried that much.
carried alot, but always as a backup. I've always carried it in soft i.e. non leather holster.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:41 PM

Nice, looking into getting one of those. Maybe the Model 38 for the reduced weight.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:26 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Nice, looking into getting one of those. Maybe the Model 38 for the reduced weight.
The 49 weighs a little over 20 ounces, but it isn't that bad. You really do adjust to the extra heft and it does make it nicer to shoot, but there is also something to be said for the lighter weight of the Model 38. I remember when I went from my Sig 220 to the Glock 19. It felt like I wasn't carrying anything in my holster at first. And the Sig has an alloy lower frame. Imagine how a standard 1911A1 would feel with the all steel frame after a 12 hour shift.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:59 PM

I remember you talking to me about this one before, JCordell - Nice to actually see it! It indeed looks very sharp, clean and fit given it's age and continued dedicated use. Very nice.

I myself lean to the traditional metal guns.. I've fooled around a fair bit with the alloy pieces, many of them just feel a bit TOO light to me.. To each their own, of course.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Both have their advantages. However I tend to go with all steel framed revolvers. Actually I don't own any alloy framed revolvers.