imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 03-12-2009, 08:34 PM

I figured the Poly Techs were quality, I just don't want the sight hood, and the fact that I own a Chinese gun. Some gunners think China is the biggest threat on the face of the planet and will hate you for buying "Chinese junk". I'm also not gonna pay near or over 1000 dollars for an AK, they are supposed to be cheap. If I put down cash like that I'll probably buy an M16 variant.

How much would it cost to do it myself within the confines of the law, or how much would it cost to have someone take care of it for me, within the confines of the law, and which would be better overall?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I figured the Poly Techs were quality, I just don't want the sight hood, and the fact that I own a Chinese gun. Some gunners think China is the biggest threat on the face of the planet and will hate you for buying "Chinese junk". I'm also not gonna pay near or over 1000 dollars for an AK, they are supposed to be cheap. If I put down cash like that I'll probably buy an M16 variant.
Well, the advantage of the sight hood is that it tends to be a bit more durable than the partially-open front sight of other AKs (I've seen a lot that got bent after being banged around enough). Though it's easy to replace, and you aren't planning on fighting in a bush war with an AK anyway, so maybe that's irrelevant.

Any good military-style autoloader is going to cost you a lot nowadays, especially since Obama got into office. Even WASRs and other crap are now getting much more expensive. I dunno how much pre-ban prices are changing, but it's actually not the worst idea in the world. You get what you pay for, after all. I remember when I was trying to find an AK back in 2003, I just kept finding that all of the American AK clones I inspected were junk, so I figured I'd save more money and get something worth keeping forever.

Quote:
How much would it cost to do it myself within the confines of the law, or how much would it cost to have someone take care of it for me, within the confines of the law, and which would be better overall?
Depends on what kind of tooling is available to you. My Dad maintains a full machine shop in his basement, including a milling machine (not CNC, but still quite good), a lathe, and a bandsaw. All he would need to do is order the diagrams and fire control parts after he bought the sear, and he could do the conversion with everything he already has. My machining skills are pretty rudimentary compared to his (my entire experience is half a summer school semester course in Duke University's machine shop), so I would probably have a lot more trouble.

If you don't have access to a machine shop with that kind of stuff, then...well, buying the tools would set you back a lot of money, too.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:12 AM
IMFDB Admin

I have little money and can't legally buy guns (my dad can though), but I've wanted a Colt Law Enforcement Carbine since I saw them in SOG a few years back. It is the civilian version of the M4A1, with a 16" barrel to comply with the barrel length laws. You may have it in I Am Legend. Called an M4gery in the full auto film configuration. Matt (trying it out) also says he wants one, but he'll likely get one while I likely won't.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

My Marine buddy recommend just get a full length AR-15 as he argues over accuracy.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-14-2009, 12:38 AM

The accuracy is an argument, but not why I might prefer an AR. The only reason anyone thinks of buying an AR is for SHTF, and I know that my mags take the same magazines as the military and police rifles, so ammo is heavily available. With an AK you have to have your own stuff, or take some time to find them and load them if there's ammo. The gun is fairly light too, and the interface is quick and easy to operate, and the sights are a little better. If it comes down to it, and I'm not saying it will, but it might, it's a good home defense tool.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:24 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
The only reason anyone thinks of buying an AR is for SHTF, and I know that my mags take the same magazines as the military and police rifles, so ammo is heavily available. With an AK you have to have your own stuff, or take some time to find them and load them if there's ammo. The gun is fairly light too, and the interface is quick and easy to operate, and the sights are a little better. If it comes down to it, and I'm not saying it will, but it might, it's a good home defense tool.
With all due respect, it's kind of a ridiculous idea to think you can plan for an SHTF scenario. If you're really serious about it, guns are the last thing you need to worry about. Start by training yourself to live in the wilderness with no access to the Internet, grocery stores, or medical care. And try starving yourself for a few days at a time and see if you can handle it. I'm also of the opinion that the whole "lone survivalist" scenario is a pipedream. Humans survive best in gangs and tribes, and if SHTF, I would much rather be in a large organized militia than on my own. It isn't because I'm not a "rugged individualist" or whatever; it's because human beings really are better off in groups.

And if that's really your plan, then you'd be better off getting ahold of a weapon that fires 7.62x39mm ammunition. Even though 5.56x45mm is what the military uses, it's very difficult to raid government armories, and taking captured weapons from the battlefield won't ensure a constant supply of ammo. There's almost no insurgency in the world that can fight a campaign using captured weapons alone. Chances are, you'd need to start importing weapons and ammo (and I imagine plenty of international arms dealers would be happy to sell to American militias if it meant profit), and that means you're going to find AKs and 7.62x39mm are going to be what you have to use by necessity, simply because that's what most readily available on the black market no matter where you are in the world.

Maybe if you tried an AR-15 that fires 7.62x39mm ammo (plenty of manufacturers have built such weapons), that would be the best bet.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-14-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:39 AM

I agree that knowledge of wilderness would come in handy, but I'm not just gonna crawl into the forest instantly, I live in an urban environment. Also I never planned on just me alone, I just want a full auto for myself, the rest of my crew can have whatever they can get.

I do concede to the 7.62x39 point as well, but I'm not gonna get an AR-15 in the caliber. I'll just get an AK.

Also, SHTF is very far from my mind, I just want an automatic rifle for a yearly ammo dumping. Heheh.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:13 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I agree that knowledge of wilderness would come in handy, but I'm not just gonna crawl into the forest instantly, I live in an urban environment. Also I never planned on just me alone, I just want a full auto for myself, the rest of my crew can have whatever they can get.

I do concede to the 7.62x39 point as well, but I'm not gonna get an AR-15 in the caliber. I'll just get an AK.

Also, SHTF is very far from my mind, I just want an automatic rifle for a yearly ammo dumping. Heheh.
Haha, trust me, I understand you weren't totally serious. My mind is just so wrapped up in reading about armed insurgencies (Hezbollah, the LTTE, Sendero Luminoso, etc.) that it's messing with my mind. I'm starting to think like a guerrilla myself. My thoughts had to come out somewhere.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:36 PM
4570guy

Quote:
Does anyone know how to convert a firearm to full auto legally? I've heard bits and pieces here and there but never fully understood it. Could someone shed some light on this subject? Thanks.
If you are are not a licensed manufacturer your least expensive way for a legal AR-15 conversion would be to purchase a pre 86 transferable "lightning link." SWD made them and they go for $7500--$8500. They are a 2 piece sheet metal assembly that drops in with no modifications and allows the gun to fire in full auto only. No semi auto like the more expensive/robust (30% more $$) drop in auto sear (DIAS) which also requires reciever machining/modifications.
Good Luck,
4570guy