imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
Seen a new set of preview shots for the eternally delayed Aliens: Colonial Marine. Seems they've put ghost ring sights on the pulse rifle (+10 sacrilege points right there) and the motion sensor is a silly handheld thing that you can't use a weapon with. Because everyone loved that in Doom 3 and it's not like the duct tape mod was one of the most popular PC mods of all time.

This is going to hurt.
Well, the motion sensor was a separate handheld unit in the movie, although I suppose they could've let you use a pistol with it.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Well, the motion sensor was a separate handheld unit in the movie, although I suppose they could've let you use a pistol with it.
Well yeah, but it worked fine having in the HUD in AVP2, since they were clever and made sure absolutely every moving object set it off as a blip (including every opening door, which they also made sound like they were whispering your character's name). It was another way to increase the tension. The fact that they're making you make a sacrifice to equip it makes me think it's just going to be magic aliens here shoot aliens radar.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I think a lot of future tech of that movie didn't quite age well with how the world has changed since then like optics on rifles or having the motion sensors be smaller and maybe even strapped to an arm instead of a heavy separate item you carry.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Arnold Schwarzenegger + David Ayer = "Ten". Anyone besides me wonder whether that's really such a good match?

Though to be fair, the way that Arnold changed his look for the part suggests that he's at least trying to play an actual character in this movie (instead of playing a version of himself, which is what he's done for most of his career):

Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I think a lot of future tech of that movie didn't quite age well with how the world has changed since then like optics on rifles or having the motion sensors be smaller and maybe even strapped to an arm instead of a heavy separate item you carry.
Yeah, I first saw "Aliens" when I was about 12, by which point the movie was already more than 10 years old. The weapons and military technology still seemed futuristic then, especially the pulse rifles. But now that accessory rails and optical/red-dot sights have become standard issue on infantry weapons, the M41A is finally starting to seem dated rather than futuristic.

It's still one of my favorite movie guns, though.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post

I don't know what movie this is but wow, I had to look twice to see that it's Arnold. Damn he looks so different from The Last Stand where he's just completely out of it. This one, he looks really cool.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

You have to wonder why it took this long:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/..._eastwood.html
Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
You have to wonder why it took this long:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/..._eastwood.html
Cool. This is like a reversal of how The Magnificent Seven was adapted from Seven Samurai and A Fistful of Dollars was adapted from Yojimbo.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Yeah, I first saw "Aliens" when I was about 12, by which point the movie was already more than 10 years old. The weapons and military technology still seemed futuristic then, especially the pulse rifles. But now that accessory rails and optical/red-dot sights have become standard issue on infantry weapons, the M41A is finally starting to seem dated rather than futuristic.
My main issue with it is that the sights simply do not look like they belong on the gun. I'm sure you could think of a way to put a sight on it that didn't blatantly clash with the rest of it.

Also, I've just seen this trailer and I want to watch that movie and possibly marry it.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 12-15-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
My main issue with it is that the sights simply do not look like they belong on the gun. I'm sure you could think of a way to put a sight on it that didn't blatantly clash with the rest of it.

Also, I've just seen this trailer and I want to watch that movie and possibly marry it.
The rear sight seems okay, but that front sight, wow.

And holy crap, I saw that trailer last night, and yeah, that might make my must-see-in-theater list. (Although they did mess up the location of the gun ports on the F-22...)