imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Default Range Day 2-4-11

So I had a pretty awesome shooting trip this last Friday, and I did a write-up with pictures of the event for another forum. Would you guys like to see and read about what all we did?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 PM

good pics of guns? If yes, then of course post.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 PM

Kay, I guess k9870 wants to see, and I wanted Excalibur to see my friends P-01, so posting time.

This last Friday, my friends Weasel and Mik from Washington, my friend James and myself found ourselves with a lot of guns to fire, ammunition to load, gear to test, shooting drills to try and several hours of daylight to burn, so the new Washingtonians came back down to Oregon and we got it all done.

After warming up on bullseye targets with our 9s, the U22 NEOS (Mik's), the Walther P22 and the Taurus Tracker in .17 HMR (Weasel's), we set up some of the IDPA patterned targets on the prototype target stands we used (both items made by Weasel). Targets worked, stands didn't, so they need to be redesigned, but we managed with them for the day. Here they are clearly in this shot, along with me randomly strutting in a very haters gonna hate like fashion.

We began the tactical type shooting with some Mozambique Drills. For those of you who are not familiar with the drill, it's basically firing a double tap to center mass, analyzing your target, and then firing a well aimed shot to the head, and for our purposes, we did so until our mags were empty. We all shot a couple mags individually, and then we tried it competitively, myself and Weasel going head to head first.

Gear in check, and then... GO!

Absolutely excellent shot, very clear, and not one, but two casings mid-flight. After scoring, I soundly beat Weasel, but he was shooting a brand new gun (CZ 75 P-01) he had no previous training on, and it was shooting really low for whatever reason, not only for him, but for me too. He then practiced on some cans to figure out his POA (Point of Aim for newbies) to get a good POI (Point of Impact).

Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 PM

While he did that, James and Mik went head to head, though James had a 6 shot S&W Model 65 loaded with .38s next to Mik's 16 round Jericho...

...but he sucked it up and performed a reload with a speedloader I bought him for Christmas.

Scoring was complicated, but Mik was a clear winner, though it wasn't truly a fair fight with James's wheelgun in the mix, same with Weasel's breaking in of his gun and shooting, so James and Weasel went head to head, James borrowing the Jericho this time.

I believe James came out on top, but I honestly don't remember, since I was so psyched after beating Mik in a winner's face off! His groupings on paper were, and generally are, much better than mine, but with the scoring system, and him missing one of his headshots, I edged victory. More to come...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Is that an extended mag on the p01?

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 PM

Why yes it is, good eye. On top of the 2 factory mags that came with the P-01, he also bought 2 Mec-Gar 14 round mags, and 2 Mec-Gar 19 round mags. The latter stick out a bit, but they look a lot better than some guns with extended mags sticking out the bottom.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 PM

cz custom shop has 26 rounders

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 AM

I've seen 25 rounders on sale before, never 26, but factory mags are all very expensive. The Mec-Gar 19 rounders are a good capacity at a good value.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:11 AM

I think mec gar makes the factory mag. Factory mags, mec gars, and custom shop mags are all i'd trust, promags and other junk suck.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 AM

Mec-Gar does make their factory mags, as do they for SIG, Browning and a lot of other companies. Pro-Mags are hit and miss, I've heard some good and some bad, but when it comes to your magazine, that isn't really good enough, not to me. Anyhow, more range stuff:

The fog and wind came in hard, and it was a pain in the ass even trying to keep the target stands up, so we concluded Mozambique and after I called a can out at 20-25 yards and nailed it with one shot (the rest of the guys got sick of me bragging about that, but damnit, it was a good shot, and I'd give them credit if it were they in my shoes), we moved into what I call the "Boss" drill. Each person stands at the same distance and has 5 cans/bottles (we concluded bottles would work better) in a line to shoot. First person to hit all their cans/bottles is the Boss. I don't think James or Weasel ran this one, but Mik and I ran a couple, the first at 15 yards, and the second at 7 yards.

We both got our guns out at about the same time, and our first shots were about right on top of eachother...

But I clearly finished first, with shots to spare in my mag. Mik finished his mag off, and hit 3 or 4 out of 5.