imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 08-28-2010, 11:16 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
What are you, some kind of communist? This isn't PBS.
Hey, just because I'm Chinese, and born and raised in Chicago, doesn't make me a Communist.

And thanks for reminding me MPM. I need to delete the old talk sections on my talk page.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-29-2010, 01:29 AM

Let's have Ten Nugent donate a shitload of money to us.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 08-29-2010, 05:14 AM

Well, for one thing, the Modern Warfare 2 discussion page could be trimmed down. It's quite large with a lot of old pre-release discussion on it.

I was also thinking a good way to trim down the video game section might be to appoint some trustworthy editors as temporary admins and give each one a letter category to do (e.g., admin 1 cleans out A section, admin 2 cleans out B section, etc..).

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 08-29-2010, 05:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Recently I've deleted all the talk sections on my talk pages because all of the discussions are over.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 08-29-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Recently I've deleted all the talk sections on my talk pages because all of the discussions are over.
Can I go around and delete evertything I said so people will finally shut the hell up about it?

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 08-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Site Manager

It's not the extra files sitting on the servers that are an issue, storage is cheap. It's the shear number of pageviews we're pushing out and the number of images that are on each page. I'd rather pony up for better hardware than limit page size though - I never want to make the content worse.

Also deleting talk pages etc doesn't actually make the database smaller, as mediawiki still saves all that so we can revert back to it if ever necessary. It would help readability of the talk pages though. The text database is actually relatively small - it's all the images that soak up the storage space.

Large PNGs do kill the pages however. They're slow to load and suck up a ton of bandwidth. The ironic thing about PNG is that at the same file size PNG is clearer than JPG with fewer compression artifacts... but the configuration to get that doesn't seem to be intuitive for people.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:48 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunni View Post
It's not the extra files sitting on the servers that are an issue, storage is cheap. It's the shear number of pageviews we're pushing out and the number of images that are on each page. I'd rather pony up for better hardware than limit page size though - I never want to make the content worse.

Also deleting talk pages etc doesn't actually make the database smaller, as mediawiki still saves all that so we can revert back to it if ever necessary. It would help readability of the talk pages though. The text database is actually relatively small - it's all the images that soak up the storage space.

Large PNGs do kill the pages however. They're slow to load and suck up a ton of bandwidth. The ironic thing about PNG is that at the same file size PNG is clearer than JPG with fewer compression artifacts... but the configuration to get that doesn't seem to be intuitive for people.
Ah thanks! Bunni. But when we do a mass backup, which we do a lot, doesn't the smaller talk pages for each backup have the cumulative effect of less data to store?

I just hope we don't start replacing my high res gun pics with low res google pics! DOH!

And good thing Bunni missed my comment about everyone donating 10% of their household income to him......
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Regarding Talk pages: Even if it doesn't save much space on the server (and even if server space isn't of much relevance), it's still nice to clean them up. I couldn't even check my Talk page on my phone because it was so huge. I deleted all content from earlier than January 1, 2010 and now I can actually check the updates when I'm away from my laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Also consider THIS scenario. It's late. You've just uploaded a BUNCH of screencaps, but you decide to go to sleep and wait until the next free moment you have to formally build your movie page.

An AUTO DELETE scheduled time comes and WHOOOSH. Everything you just spent hours doing is automatically deleted, because you didn't immediately put it on your movie page right after you uploaded it.

I've done this. I've accidentally deleted what I thought was a dead file and got a private message "Hey! Why did you delete that file, I was going to put it on the page, but you beat me to the punch". Doh! I had to apologize and restore the file, also feeling a bit like a jerk.

Now imagine a program doing that automatically en masse.
Ah, I understand. I can't exactly relate, because I always put images that I upload onto pages immediately after I upload them. What you are saying makes sense. That being said, I wish there were a way to make deleting unused files in bulk easier (even if it's not just a simple purge). But I also admit that I have no idea how we would do that.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:08 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post

And good thing Bunni missed my comment about everyone donating 10% of their household income to him......
My job doesn't even pay that well

Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
My job doesn't even pay that well

I don't even have a damn job. I guess I can send it 10% of nothing

http://www.introvertisland.com