imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 08-28-2010, 03:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Yesh. That's a lot of money for a site like this. Think we should start a donation fund?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Site Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Yesh. That's a lot of money for a site like this. Think we should start a donation fund?
I appreciate the sentiment but totally not necessary. I'd much rather implement some advertising than harass the membership for money. God Bless America.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
What are you, some kind of communist? This isn't PBS.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
What are you, some kind of communist? This isn't PBS.
Offer to help with expenses isn't Communist! Mister Moustache! Communist would be FORCING the membership to give 10% of their household income to Bunni. Now considering how many members are kids with no jobs (well, no income is a better word) that concept would not be clear to them.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:48 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunni View Post
I have bills to pay. The site runs ~$1,000 per month in expenses and that number is always growing. Advertising has never covered the costs - I have always run this site at a personal expense to myself.
A large part of that is people CRAMMING the servers full of crap that the site doesn't need.

My suggestions to help with this:

1) Continue the policy of limiting screenshots. We don't need 36 screenshots of one gun (I've talked to Kin93 about this already).

2) We are pretty good now at policing guys who put up PNGs. Ben41 has been especially good about warning new members about this. I once deleted PNGs which were 2.57 Megabytes just for ONE PICTURE!!!!! But a lot of them are just 700K-1.4 MB, which is STILL TOO MUCH.

3) I am still against people putting up endless pages of stuff which are of questionable use' to anyone wishing to use IMFDB as a research resource.

4) Start DELETING crap on your talk pages that are old business. You can keep memorable quotes or conversations. But questions back and forth that are ultimately settled. Why keep them? I'm gonna start editing all my OWN stuff that that is just dead weight on Bunni's servers.

5) We do have a rule against members mass deleting any conversation or discussion that is not created solely by them, but us MODS should start cleaning things up. I see tons of discussions on discussion pages about questions or mysteries that are eventually "cleared up" and are no longer relevant, so we can either clear the discussion page or delete it entirely until someone has something new to say.

Again, I wrote too much again, but heck. I am procastinating from cleaning guns...
Old 08-28-2010, 06:03 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

MPM is right...is there any way we can remove .PNG from the list of acceptable upload formats, so that anyone who even tries to upload a .PNG won't be able to do so?

And point taken on the Talk Page; I'll go back and clean out mine at some point. Mine is already huge.

Last but not least, is there a way to purge the entire server of unused files? I think I asked about this before, but we haven't gotten a response.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:29 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
MPM is right...is there any way we can remove .PNG from the list of acceptable upload formats, so that anyone who even tries to upload a .PNG won't be able to do so?

And point taken on the Talk Page; I'll go back and clean out mine at some point. Mine is already huge.

Last but not least, is there a way to purge the entire server of unused files? I think I asked about this before, but we haven't gotten a response.
Actually we should manually check. Once a while ago, I know someone replaced MY pics with their own gun pics (not overwritten but used their own file names) and if we did a mass purge at that moment, I would have lost my pics. When I did a manual check I noticed that my pics were not being used, so I checked the actual gun pages and some crap 'jacked' image was taking its place. Doh! I fixed that back, but a mass delete would have create problems.

At any moment of time, there may be FILES listed as unused which should NOT be. Also any files used in threads on the forum are not listed as used on IMFDB when they are being used to illustrate points in the forums.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Actually we should manually check. Once a while ago, I know someone replaced MY pics with their own gun pics (not overwritten but used their own file names) and if we did a mass purge at that moment, I would have lost my pics. When I did a manual check I noticed that my pics were not being used, so I checked the actual gun pages and some crap 'jacked' image was taking its place. Doh! I fixed that back, but a mass delete would have create problems.

At any moment of time, there may be FILES listed as unused which should NOT be. Also any files used in threads on the forum are not listed as used on IMFDB when they are being used to illustrate points in the forums.
I'm confused, what do you mean by some of your pics not being used? Theyd don't show up on your user page?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
I'm confused, what do you mean by some of your pics not being used? Theyd don't show up on your user page?
Sometimes I slip and don't list them (by accident). Ya know! Sometimes I upload these after a long day on the set ... in the middle of the night!

And yes, these pics were not on any page. I'm just saying in that one instance (months and months ago), a mass delete would have screwed me
Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Also consider THIS scenario. It's late. You've just uploaded a BUNCH of screencaps, but you decide to go to sleep and wait until the next free moment you have to formally build your movie page.

An AUTO DELETE scheduled time comes and WHOOOSH. Everything you just spent hours doing is automatically deleted, because you didn't immediately put it on your movie page right after you uploaded it.

I've done this. I've accidentally deleted what I thought was a dead file and got a private message "Hey! Why did you delete that file, I was going to put it on the page, but you beat me to the punch". Doh! I had to apologize and restore the file, also feeling a bit like a jerk.

Now imagine a program doing that automatically en masse.