imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca1_9904 View Post
I wasn't aware the Chinese had pixelized camo now, I thought they used a camo pattern that resembled a bleached-out version of our old Woodland camo pattern, as seen in Battlefield 2 (which is circa 2005).
The digital camouflage pattern was adopted by the Chinese military late in 2007, and is known as the Type 07. It comes in several variations including the urban pattern, which is the version featured in the film and the one most commonly seen during PLA counter-terrorism exercises. There is a digitalized version of the old woodland pattern that is also known as the Type 07, but that uniform is used by the People's Armed Police.

Last edited by Markit; 11-21-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:34 AM

Just found this clip on Youtube that's pretty action-packed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Ql5p0eO5U

Explosions start at about 2:50. It's also interesting that the soldier who is actually firing his rifle is using an AKMS with no apparent modifications, while the other soldier in the Humvee is likely carrying a fake AK-103.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 AM

Awesome.

But is he allowed to do that? They guy filming that, I mean. Is he allowed to just stand there with a camera, film that scene, and release it on YouTube like that without any kind of legal trouble?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-25-2009, 04:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Sure he is, as long as there is no profit out of it.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-26-2009, 12:44 AM

Or unless someone makes a "copyright" claim on the footage and YouTube takes it down. They're getting bad about it.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-29-2009, 07:52 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Don't mean to re-open an old debate, but one last thing...

http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20091127/157008667.html

In case anyone seriously expects the Russians to even attempt an invasion in this day and age.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Making the events of Modern Warfare 2 almost impossible since the Russians would need ships to carry troops over and support, unless the main fighters and helicopters were supposed to procure fuel when then land on the states.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 12-02-2009, 12:31 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The one thing I can maybe say in defense of "Red Dawn" is that it's based on a scenario that was actually considered by military and civilian NSC advisers where the commies might invade through Mexico. But that was back in the day when half of Latin America was commie and Mexico itself was actually teetering on failed state status (and despite what some people say now, the chaos created by drug cartels won't de-stabilize Mexico quite that much). Nowadays, an invasion from Latin America would be MUCH harder, even with the new generation of far-left tyrants like Chavez and Morales in power.

As I've said, it'll be interesting to see how the screenwriters for "Red Dawn" 2010 devise their own Sino-Russo invasion. But whatever explanation they come up with, I guarantee you it's something that would be impossible in real life.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 AM
IMFDB Admin

And we can't just say "it's hollywood." That's just an excuse not to think. Audiences are mostly intelligent people that like entertaining materials

Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
And we can't just say "it's hollywood." That's just an excuse not to think. Audiences are mostly intelligent people that like entertaining materials
If I thought too hard, I wouldn't be able to enjoy any movies or TV shows or video games, ever.

But the only reason I dwell on "Red Dawn"'s lack of realism is because I'm kinda disturbed how many people (particularly conservatives) actually take it seriously. It's embarrassing.