imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 09-13-2014, 12:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default New Guns in movies Book

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-guns/comments

Though she did original 'artwork' on a lot of the guns, she makes some seriously strange errors on how the guns should look. Though I think I recognize some of the guns as the exact model, lighting and look of pics I shot for IMFDB. No issue there, just something I noticed.

And I can't help but think that she got most of the info from IMFDB rather than do the research herself. I wonder if she did use us as reference and give us credit?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:37 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-guns/comments

Though she did original 'artwork' on a lot of the guns, she makes some seriously strange errors on how the guns should look. Though I think I recognize some of the guns as the exact model, lighting and look of pics I shot for IMFDB. No issue there, just something I noticed.

And I can't help but think that she got most of the info from IMFDB rather than do the research herself. I wonder if she did use us as reference and give us credit?
There is a tie-in with the IMFDB Facebook page.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

I doubt she just ripped the research straight from IMFDB, mainly because there are quite a few mistakes that we have not made on our pages, either having the picture be of slightly the wrong model of gun, or calling the gun the wrong thing. Strangely though there are some IDs which are correct that I wouldn't necessarily expect, like the Cobra Big Bore Derringer from Django Unchained which I would normally expect people to just list as a Remington 1866. It also looks like the artist doesn't really understand what the different parts of guns are, with the receivers on the AR-15 looking particularly odd like she doesn't understand which parts go in or out. There are definitely some images on their that are copied from yours though MPM2008, such as the screen used HK45 from the Book of Eli being a particularly obvious example.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:45 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

She clearly has not read the IMFDB page for "Firefly" very closely, or else she'd know that Vera was originally built for the movie "Showtime".

Sorry to be the party pooper, but I have long been of the opinion that Wikis like IMFDB will obviate the market for books like this. I'm impressed she has raised so much money, though. The last time I worked on a Kickstarter-funded project, we fell $1,000 short of our goal and wound up paying out-of-pocket.

Last edited by MT2008; 09-13-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:20 AM
IMFDB Admin

She misidentifies the Bushmaster Carbine with a Cobray 37mm launcher with a pic of an M4 with an M203 launcher. But the colostomy bag at the butt end of the Carbine is a nice touch........
Old 09-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
She misidentifies the Bushmaster Carbine with a Cobray 37mm launcher with a pic of an M4 with an M203 launcher. But the colostomy bag at the butt end of the Carbine is a nice touch........
So that's what that is. Okay.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 AM
IMFDB Admin

Here is a document that lists all of the included weapons as well as an image of what the final print will look like. It seems that there are quite a few errors, but the most distracting thing to me is the wild disparity in the quality of the "drawings" between different guns. For example, the guns from Scarface and Platoon are both M16A1s, yet the accuracy of the drawings is like night and day. There are also quite a few guns on here that are missing the customisations or attachments that are present in the movie they are quoted as being from, and I would have though this would be one of the advantages of drawing them in that you could change them to match the movie gun.

I wont bother listing all of the errors (because what is the point?) but the one that seems most bizarre to me is the harpoon gun from Jaws. She correctly lists it as a Greener Light Harpoon, but the picture is of a H&R type one. She must have done research to get the correct name, but I don't understand how she then ends of with the wrong picture, particularly when it looks totally different to the movie gun. I would post a comment on their pointing out some of the more easily correctable or egregious mistakes, but as the comments are locked unless you are a backer then to hell with it, I cant be bothered.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM

...The FN FNC is a submachine gun?

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wierd It View Post
...The FN FNC is a submachine gun?
Yeah, in the same way that a MAC-10 is a "Machine Gun" in the same class as the M2HB and M60, and the M1928A1 Thompson (pictured gun is actually an M1A1 same as in the movie) is for some reason both a "Machine Gun" and a "Sub Machine". Also, all riflse are either sniper rifles or assault rifles, so the Mosin Nagant and Kentucky Flintlock are sniper rifles, while the M14 and Kar98K are assault rifles. Oh, and apparently the AMT Hardballer is fictional.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:11 AM

She considers the Proton Packs from Ghostbusters to be guns?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman