imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

That was probably my main peeves about most shooters is on how the brass flies and in which direction.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-04-2009, 06:07 PM

I want a game where common everyday guns are used, not just the standard videogame guns like berettas, deegles, mp5s and m4s. I would like Seeing a smith autos and revolvers,, sigs and xds, a coach gun, a savage or other hunting rifles, as not everyone owns an m40a1. Just a mix of things I see on a daily basis in a videogame.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Well, these guns aren't used by military or law enforcement, so to game makers, who cares? No one will recognize these guns and no fun scenario can be built in which normal everyday guns are used (as they see it).

I've thought up two awesome game ideas I plan to show off to gamed designers later on. Both are FPS games, but the first is very devoted to accurate law enforcement all over the US, from the typical patrolman to the SWAT teams. Screw Rainbow Six, what can three guys with H&K guns do that a well trained group of SWAT can't? Police cover urban settings so I'd try to squeeze in the unseen guns.

The second was the idea of a dinosaur outbreak on a small town (hopefully sponsored by Jurassic Park, I love their dinosaur sounds), in which one view was from a student among a group of survivors while the other was from the point of a National Guardsmen. One would consist of flight over fight and mainly try to avoid dinosaurs (or kill them with make shift weapons or luckily found guns) while the NG would have his M4A1 and Beretta and have to deal with a lot of killing and saving. Eventually the two characters will clash so the student character can learn how to use a gun better and be better supplied with weaponry.

I originally thought of a beginning like this:

Quote:
A kid gets on a bus after school so he can finally go home. He sits down on the back of the bus and has a conversation with another kid (so the player can do SOMETHING during the ride) until they spot something big in the woods (a T-Rex, later revealed). It rams their bus off the road eventually and the player is knocked out cold. He wakes up and the bus is flipped on its side, his foot is pinned under a broken seat. He hears a hissing sound and looks over to see a Deinonychus enjoying the bus driver as a snack. He starts to yank his leg out but the thing now knows he's there. It jumps and lands a few inches from his face. It leans down for a throat grab but he grabs its eyes and graphically blinds it. Then he pulls his leg out and limps out of the rear exit (which is sideways as well). He then finds six more raptors outside, members of his pack. He spots a house and quickly limps toward the door, being knocked down by the force of the door slamming behind him. He then pushes the door closed with his foot before the raptor smashes through. He climbs the stairs to an uninhabited bedroom and finds a Remington 870. The raptors smash through the windows and door and he is surrounded on all ends as they close in.
I think that would make a good demo. I know what happens next but why spoil the suspense? Image all this in super-real FPS where you cans see your hands and feet and don't feel like a floating camera with hands. Movements will be non game like and defense such as eye gouging will be essential. Assume it has dramatic music as well. And no HUD, you see this like a real person.

If any of you steal this idea from me, I'll hunt you down and kill you
Old 04-04-2009, 10:27 PM

Scenario:
United states, alternate reality:

A dictator has risen, and he is popular amongst some people based on image of changing a ailing economy, he subsequently abolishes the military and has a department (department of change) (okay, I know some of this seems far fetched) with a group of his now private military force (Civilian National Defgense Force). He begins to imprison all opposition and everyone who opposed his rise to power.

Some people fight back. Former military move west and hoild out while planning to take the country back. The Dictator brings in a "multinational peacekeeping group" formed of chinese, venezuelan, Iranian troops, amongst others. There are people from all walks of life, Military, police, paramedic, civilain, hunters and farmers and insurance salesmen. They all are marked by the government and lead a resistance movement, ambushes, sniping, all the rebel stuff, using standard hunting/self defense weapons, the everyday guns we own and love. Playing as (build a character) you have different skills, example, paramedic has more health and heals teammates, hunter has good stealth, etc.

The other way, you are a U.S. Soldier in the west, and fight in massive military operations to take the country back, using military wepaons and tactics.

Sound like a good game?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I've thought up two awesome game ideas I plan to show off to gamed designers later on. Both are FPS games, but the first is very devoted to accurate law enforcement all over the US, from the typical patrolman to the SWAT teams. Screw Rainbow Six, what can three guys with H&K guns do that a well trained group of SWAT can't? Police cover urban settings so I'd try to squeeze in the unseen guns.
Put a Rainbow team in as the bosses on the final level and you got a winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Scenario:
United states, alternate reality:

A dictator has risen, and he is popular amongst some people based on image of changing a ailing economy, he subsequently abolishes the military and has a department (department of change) (okay, I know some of this seems far fetched) with a group of his now private military force (Civilian National Defgense Force). He begins to imprison all opposition and everyone who opposed his rise to power.

Some people fight back. Former military move west and hoild out while planning to take the country back. The Dictator brings in a "multinational peacekeeping group" formed of chinese, venezuelan, Iranian troops, amongst others. There are people from all walks of life, Military, police, paramedic, civilain, hunters and farmers and insurance salesmen. They all are marked by the government and lead a resistance movement, ambushes, sniping, all the rebel stuff, using standard hunting/self defense weapons, the everyday guns we own and love. Playing as (build a character) you have different skills, example, paramedic has more health and heals teammates, hunter has good stealth, etc.

The other way, you are a U.S. Soldier in the west, and fight in massive military operations to take the country back, using military wepaons and tactics.

Sound like a good game?
Sounds interesting. I'd give it a try.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman

Last edited by Spartan198; 04-05-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 AM

I was thinking that the soldiers would have a fictional rifle in a intermediate caliber, like, .260 government, and sidearms would definitely be 1911-style. Then civilians would have whatever. I'd have a combo like cz 550 american 6.5x55, and a smith 686p or 627 PC. Or an m1a and xd-40. Or a savage weather warrior and cz-97. Anything from a stoger coach gun to aa-12, marlin 336 up to SCAR H. And you would need to take care of guns or they'd jam. And you would need to use sights correctly, like your targetmay be a bit blurred as you focus on the front sight.

Last edited by k9870; 04-05-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I tried the demo for "Crysis" yesterday afternoon, finally. Playing it reminded why I stopped playing FPS games 5 years ago - they're all just way too alike. Like I said before, I'm just struck by the fact that almost none of the games coming out today are really that different from games I played when I was in high school (years ago now). Even the differences in graphics, sound, physics, etc. seem hard to appreciate, when the basic gameplay mechanics don't change. Plus, almost none of them really have longevity - aside from the "Half-Life" games, which I continue to appreciate to this day.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
The second was the idea of a dinosaur outbreak on a small town (hopefully sponsored by Jurassic Park, I love their dinosaur sounds), in which one view was from a student among a group of survivors while the other was from the point of a National Guardsmen. One would consist of flight over fight and mainly try to avoid dinosaurs (or kill them with make shift weapons or luckily found guns) while the NG would have his M4A1 and Beretta and have to deal with a lot of killing and saving. Eventually the two characters will clash so the student character can learn how to use a gun better and be better supplied with weaponry.
Could be a good idea for a short user-mod, but it would need to be fleshed-out a lot more to be a complete game. Although I dunno if you could find a way to integrate your character's personality (as you proposed) in an FPS - those kinds of games just inherently lack the means for character development. Even in the "Half-Life" games (which are just about the only first-person shooters with good storytelling), the protagonist is totally silent and never says a word.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 PM
IMFDB Admin

The newest brothers in arms game's main character talks all the time. Also, he isn't a floating camera, you can see his feet when you look down and his hands and legs when he climbs over things.

I had a LOT more ideas on how to flesh out the story, I was just giving you guys a taste of how epic the game could be if done properly.

I don't know if anyone here has read the book The Lost World: Jurassic Park, but in it, the Carnotaurus has superior camouflauge capabilities, like a Gecko, but better! I think that could play well into the game at night, like using flashlights to scare them off or something. And night would be scary in the game, since it is feeding time for predators.

Last edited by Gunmaster45; 04-06-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 AM

I've stopped playing COD, altogether. So many people are too into it, and online everyone thinks there just that good. I've been booted for stupid things, like "Oh you hid and ambushed me and thats not cool you have to run around in the open" or "p90s are noob guns booted." Just the people, some of the mantalities, and we all know every noob thinks there a special forces sniper and use sniper rifles in clsoe quarters and complain that you're unfair for killing them 10 times in a row.