imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-30-2008, 11:11 PM

Default Lost

*Cough since everyone's making threads cough*

Anyone watch Lost? For a deserted island they sure get a lot of guns. I've noticed a lot of them, and a lot of mistakes on the show, and think, since it's so popular now, that a page on it would be reasonable. I'd need help though, for screencaps and stuff.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

yes, I've seen Lost and I WAS thinking about doing a page about it, but...it seems like too much work since it the shots of guns are inbetween many of the episodes at a time and I lack the energy to actually watch them all again. I have season 1 on DVD, but it was season 2 when I saw some sort of AK type weapon with a small magazine.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
yes, I've seen Lost and I WAS thinking about doing a page about it, but...it seems like too much work since it the shots of guns are inbetween many of the episodes at a time and I lack the energy to actually watch them all again. I have season 1 on DVD, but it was season 2 when I saw some sort of AK type weapon with a small magazine.
Well, obviously you all haven't watched it enough to understand where the guns are coming from

The SIGs were the property of the Marshalls who were taking Kate Austen back to the States for extradition.

The bolt action rifle carried by the 'crazy woman in the forest' Danielle Rousseau was one that her French team brought with them 16 years earlier.

later the survivors found a bunker with an armory. Initially the AKs had 5 round magazines (because Hawaii has that STUPID HIGH cap magazine ban) and they DON'T exempt movies. Now that the armorers have welded 30 round magazines (limited to ten) that look correct, they replaced the short magazines for the most part. Also the armory had LOTS of weapons.

Also the OTHERS (the other mysterious and evil people) on the island have their own weapons.

Hope this helps. I've seen them film this show on Oahu. I always laugh when I see 'flashbacks' to places like "Los Angeles" or "Houston" or "Philadelphia" or "New York" and I recognize the "monkey pod trees" of hawaii or see "diamondhead" crater in the background .hahahahahaha.

Hawaii is the new Canada! As far as this show is concerned. Everywhere in the world looks like Oahu!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 AM

Yeah when I saw the short AK magazine, I remembered the hi cap mag rule is active in Hawaii, where they film the show, as they say on CheaperThanDirt that they can't sell high capacity mags to Hawaii and Jersey etc. I am smart too.

That aside, the show has an awful lot of mistakes such as:
Labeling a PPK as a 9mm
Switching said PPK out in one episode for a high polish Kahr Arms pistol
Constantly switching from the Beretta to the SIG

And, my favorite, giving Sawyer a BB gun SIG on the raft. If you pay attention to when Michael throws it at him with his shirt, you can see the bottom has one of those tightening rods seen on CO2 BB guns, and not a magazine as it should have. Though most people don't notice that since they aren't gun nuts, they see a gun, I saw a BB gun and laughed quite a bit. Ruined the drasticness of the scene
Old 12-02-2008, 02:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
And, my favorite, giving Sawyer a BB gun SIG on the raft. If you pay attention to when Michael throws it at him with his shirt, you can see the bottom has one of those tightening rods seen on CO2 BB guns, and not a magazine as it should have. Though most people don't notice that since they aren't gun nuts, they see a gun, I saw a BB gun and laughed quite a bit. Ruined the drasticness of the scene
Dude, If I were the armorer, and someone was TOSSING a handgun on the ocean to someone else, I'd sure a hell make sure it was a toy/fake rather than a real one. hahahahaha.

On a film I worked on, I STOPPED an actor from "improvising" and throwing my mint S&W Model 29 into a deep river. I yelled at him and told him that we had crappy fake guns for stuff like that. He said "Gee I didn't know that water would hurt the guns". I said "Water won't hurt the gun right away, now, explain to me how you're gonna retrieve my gun from the deep depths of a raving river? You gonna send divers down to get it?" Actors are so stupid sometimes.

Yes ... California has a High cap mag ban as well, but WE have an exemption for the motion picture armorers like me. Hawaii doesn't have an exemption for anyone. I know. I've argued with reps from the Honolulu PD prior to filming projects there several times. They just shrug their shoulder and say "oh well, that's the law". I always tell them "have you noticed how less and less WW2 and Vietnam movies are filming here (in Hawaii)?" I always wondered how John Woo got the high cap mag exemption for 'Windtalkers".....
Old 12-02-2008, 03:00 AM

Haha, good point with the oceanwater! Yup, water+steel=bad. That's not even gun knowledge, that's simple chemistry, not to mention the rushing river deal. Pretty dumb guy.

You think if I took a picture of my 5906 Novak on a white background, you could fix it up and post it on IMFDB? You see the Novak version as much as the adjustable, and I think the distinction should be taken into account.

On another note, is anyone sure that 5906 picture is a 5906? It looks like a 5903 with a poorly cared for anodized frame to me.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:18 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Haha, good point with the oceanwater! Yup, water+steel=bad. That's not even gun knowledge, that's simple chemistry, not to mention the rushing river deal. Pretty dumb guy.

You think if I took a picture of my 5906 Novak on a white background, you could fix it up and post it on IMFDB? You see the Novak version as much as the adjustable, and I think the distinction should be taken into account.

On another note, is anyone sure that 5906 picture is a 5906? It looks like a 5903 with a poorly cared for anodized frame to me.
I don't think it's a 5906 but I don't have one around for comparison. I will be trying to photograph one eventually. I never had a 5906 and I regretted not getting one. My business partners in the past all had TONS Of smith & Wesson autos so I never sweated it. I spent my $$ on a really big FAL, HK, m16 and AK collection (along with other various odd ball guns). Now the ONE GUN I can't photograph and we can't get a good of one. All my associates don't have theirs any more and those that do are hard to catch and schedule a shoot with.

Here is what you can do. Put your gun on a large piece of white cardboard (or white sheet if you don't have plain white matteboard or cardboard). If you can use diffused light it really helps. If you don't, reflect the light from bright work lights or clamp lights with strong bulbs (from Home Depot or something like that) against white cardboard near your pistol. If you have a transparent tub (like rubbermaid or Sterilite) from Walmart put the gun on the tub. The distance between the gun and the floor now should eliminate shadows or close to it. Stand over the gun and try to center it as much as possible. Don't use a wide angle lens up close to the gun. It distorts the lines of the gun. Keep it focused as clearly as possible, can't do much with a blurry photo. Also make sure it is a LARGE file with high resolution. I can fix that image. I can't fix low resolution small images. Hope that helps. Curious to know what your pistol looks likek Thanks for the offer.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:26 AM

I'll get on it next time I'm doing absolutely nothing!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
I'll get on it next time I'm doing absolutely nothing!
hahaha. Heck I manage to do it when I'm busier than heck!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:54 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

So does this mean one of us us going to do a page about Lost? Cause I only got the first DVD and the good guns won't be seen until at least season 2

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”