imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Cara's finally getting made!

My Colt/Para, my baby, my big project, is finally ready to complete.

A Colt Silver Stallion stainless steel slide, mounted on a Para-Ordnance P-14 frame. The slide was modified to use an Ed Brown Officer's 2-piece guide rod. This piece was discontinued, but Wilson's Combat builds the same design, which we ordered. Now it just needs to be fitted properly, and it'll be done.

Not sure what sights I'm going to put on it yet, thinking maybe Novaks or some low-profile 3-dot. Will put up pics when it's completed.

Maybe when I can bring in more cash I'll buy some Crimson Trace grips for it. Do they make those for the P-14?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 PM

how did you get a p14 frame? Im hoping we get lots of good pics and a range report, btw, ive actually researched the grips (was looking into what a custom para might cost, then heard SIG is making a double stack and i trust their engineering more.) They do not make a laser yet but who knows? What inish do you plan on?

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
how did you get a p14 frame?
Para used to market just the frames before they started building complete pistols. You'll see the frames kits show up from time to time. Or find one that was complete and parted out.

Since the slide is stainless, do you plan on something similar with the frame? Looking forward to seeing it when it's all completed. Befores and during are good too.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:42 PM

Apparently crimson trace said the para is just too wide. Seems kinda dumb though seeing how many other double stacks they make grips for. A nice pair of wood grips looks the best though. Kimbers fake wood lasergrips look ind of cool.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 04-20-2011, 03:00 AM

MidwayUSA sells Colt sights if you think Novaks are not 1911-y enough. With and without dots too:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*&brandId=2084

Old 04-20-2011, 03:56 AM

Heck yeah. Pics when it's ready. Can't wait to see 'em.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
how did you get a p14 frame? Im hoping we get lots of good pics and a range report, btw, ive actually researched the grips (was looking into what a custom para might cost, then heard SIG is making a double stack and i trust their engineering more.) They do not make a laser yet but who knows? What inish do you plan on?
A customer of my dad's happened to have a P-14 frame he was looking to sell, so we bought it from him. Otherwise I doubt we would have been able to find one very easily.

As for the grips, for now I'll keep the standard Para grips on it, but maybe I'll look into some of the slim-profile 1911 grips for it.

For finish, since the frame is fully assembled and matte blued already, we're going to keep it as is. It looks really nice as a tutone IMO.

I'll be sure to give a full report on the project as it progresses.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
MidwayUSA sells Colt sights if you think Novaks are not 1911-y enough. With and without dots too:

I believe the slide is already cut to take Novaks specifically, but if not I'll definitely look into those.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:40 PM

I love novaks, ive been real interested in black rear/dotted front lately as i notice i actually can shoot that both eyes open. i really like reverse 2 tone (black slide stainless frame) with wood grips but the other way around is not very appealing, to me. But i you like the looks do it.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
. i really like reverse 2 tone (black slide stainless frame) with wood grips but the other way around is not very appealing, to me. But i you like the looks do it.
Actually that's standard 2-tone, black slide, silver frame. In the 70s and 80s custom 1911s would have that since the hard chrome frame would be more rust resistant and a black slide to reduce glare when aiming.

When that faded out, SIG introduced the silver slide, black frame. Which is more common nowadays so people consider it standard 2-tone.

My SIG was refinished with black slide, silver frame I consider it standard 2-tone. But reverse 2-tone by SIG standards.