imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 AM

Default New guns (one espescially for Checkman)

Haven't posted any new guns recently, so here's a few:

I bought this Canadian Ross Mk.II rifle in .303 from a fellow collector here in Canada. The Ross Mk.II was the first Ross adopted by the Canadian military in 1905, the Mk.I only having been used by the NWMP, and was replaced by the Mk.III in 1910. It was never actually used in combat in WW1, but was widely used for training until the Mk.III was replaced with the SMLE overseas. After the US entered the war in 1917 many were sold to the US for use as training rifles due to their rifle shortage, and this is one of them. It has a US mark on the bottom of the pistol grip and is wearing a US-issue Kerr sling. I'm not really sure how it ended up back in Canada, but I'm glad it did since it sure looks good next to my Mk.III!

The rifle itself is quite odd - it's a straight pull bolt with an interesting crossbolt safety mounted on the bolt handle. There's a magazine cut off which is activated with the lever in the front of the trigger guard. The oddest feature is the Harris controlled magazine - the thumb catch forward of the action is connected to the magazine follower. You can push it down and drop loose .303 rounds into the magazine, and then release it to put them under tension. I find it works alot better if you do it one round at a time like an early Lee-Enfield or a Krag, it's quite slow going and it's easy to improperly stagger the rims and jam it, a notorious problem with these.

I also recieved this Belgian-made Frontier Bulldog revolver in .44-40, I believe made by the relatively well-known Freres Neumann firm - FN in this case definately does NOT stand for Fabrique Nationale. It's a copy of the British Webley RIC made for the American market in the 1880s, but with a full-length 5 1/2" barrel and spurred trigger and lanyard loop. It's not a high-quality gun, in fact the action definately needs some work, but it locks up tight so I'd shoot it with light loads. In fact these basically existed because they sold for $4 when a Colt SAA was $12, and even had a double-action trigger. I`m calling it part of my Mexican revolution collection, because that`s exactly the kind of pistol you`d likely have seen in the hands of Mexican irregulars at the time, but mostly I bought it because it was cheap and interesting.

Last edited by Nyles; 02-25-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:11 AM

Two more I don`t have yet, but I`m pretty excited about:

First and most importantly is a Webley & Scott Mk.1N autoloader in .455 Webley Auto, as issued to the British Royal Navy & Marines in WW1, and later the RAF. I`ve been looking for one of these for about 5 years, and I`m thrilled to have finally tracked one down. Like the Model 1910 in .38ACP I already have, it`s an odd design, having a v-shaped mainspring in the grip instead of a coil spring, but this one has an external hammer and is of course a fair bit larger. Plus it`s coming with 3 magazines - I can`t even imagine where the last owner found them, as they were only issued with one!

And, finally, here`s the one I promised for Checkman: a 4th Model Smith & Wesson .38 Safety Hammerless in .38 S&W with a 5`` barrel. This 4th Model is the most common of the Safety Hammerless guns, being made between 1898 and 1907. From what I understand the blued guns are less common than the nickle-plated ones, and the 5`` barrels are quite rare. I honestly can`t understand why anyone would WANT a 5`` barrel on a DAO pocket revolver, but it makes it Canada-legal and it`s just unusual enough to pique my interest, so I had to get it. Interesting fact I picked up doing research on it - these were designed from the factory so that you could pin in the grip safety, permanently deactivating it. I`m just waiting to get some .38 S&W in at work so I can do some shooting!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Are you secretly like a millionire? Your house rivals many museums.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-25-2011, 02:02 PM

Nah man, I'm a Corporal in the Army Reserve and I sell guns at Cabela's. Guns are just my only vice.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM

Yeah, I dont really have many vices (cant drink till july, we dont have a cool drinking age like you canadians/the rest of the world) only smoke cigars on occassion no cigarettes, Play scratch tickets but never the state lottery. So guns are like my only vice. I just cant afford them until I get a full time job, and even then y collection will never be as cool as yours.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-25-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Nah man, I'm a Corporal in the Army Reserve and I sell guns at Cabela's. Guns are just my only vice.
Quit lying to yourself. You know you have a crippling Tim Hortons addiction, just like everyone else in Canada

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-25-2011, 05:12 PM

I'd argue the point, but I'm quite seriously drinking a Tim's right now. It's as much a part of the Canadian military culture as the junior rank's mess. I probably still have the arid CADPAT Tim's cup from their location on KAF somewhere.

At least I don't drink double-double's though. I can't abide cream in coffee.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I'd argue the point, but I'm quite seriously drinking a Tim's right now. It's as much a part of the Canadian military culture as the junior rank's mess. I probably still have the arid CADPAT Tim's cup from their location on KAF somewhere.

At least I don't drink double-double's though. I can't abide cream in coffee.
I think it'd be hard to live anywhere near a Tim Hortons and not be an addict

Old 02-25-2011, 05:19 PM

How much did you have to pay for the Webley? From what I understand, they are incredibly difficult to find

Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 AM

They are! I've narrowly missed two others in the last 10 years, one of which was $3000, so I was glad to get this one for $1400.