imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-06-2010, 04:36 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well the fact that most people don't actually say 9x19mm. They say 9mm, or a 10mm cause it's easy and it's automatically a handgun round because of the context. It's the same with rifle caliber where we say 5.56mm. I mean if you are going with numbers just comparing the first number of course the number 5 is smaller than 10. A lot of time, people forget about the second number that comes after the X.

In Aliens, they don't call it just a machine gun or even a smg. They called it a "rifle" so we could assume it's rifle caliber and 10mm is big, but since it's caseless, it shouldn't be a problem. Not to mention the 20mm pump action grenade launcher with grenades that can deliver a hell of a bang

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-06-2010, 04:55 AM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

I was actually referring to rifles that fired pistol cartridges. Lever actions and carbines. It's not like it's never happened before.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:59 AM
Banned

Cartridges really shouldn't even be referred to as "n.nn mm x nn mm". Most have some sort of designation. The 7.62x39mm should actually be referred to as the "7.62mm M43".
Old 11-06-2010, 02:49 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've never heard anyone refer to the Russia round by that designation outside a tech book. Everyone I've come across always say the full number.

And I just realize that the title of this thread. It's not M41A, it's M41A1.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Last edited by Excalibur; 11-06-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:05 PM

[quote=Excalibur;21780]I've never heard anyone refer to the Russia round by that designation outside a tech book. Everyone I've come across always say the full number.

Im going to have to agree with the above quote. I have always seen it written in full number. For example there are alot of 9mm out their...so is it 9x18 or 9x19 or could it be a 9x23. So you kind of need all the information.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Banned

[quote=Spades of Columbia;21788]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I've never heard anyone refer to the Russia round by that designation outside a tech book. Everyone I've come across always say the full number.

Im going to have to agree with the above quote. I have always seen it written in full number. For example there are alot of 9mm out their...so is it 9x18 or 9x19 or could it be a 9x23. So you kind of need all the information.
Aren't there multiple cartridges that are 9x23? Bergmann-Bayard, Largo, IMI?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:37 AM
IMFDB Admin

Sure, but the most common 9mm round is the 9x19.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Sure, but the most common 9mm round is the 9x19.
Welly yeah but my point was even when you say "9 x n mm" instead of just "9mm" it's still not specific enough.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:39 PM
IMFDB Admin

You don't need to be specific unless you have to be. If I go to a gun store and ask for a 9mm handgun, the clerk would point to almost every single gun under the counter. There just aren't a lot of guns in common use that fires other 9mm type rounds

Tags
aliens, m41, pulse rifle