imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 03-18-2018, 04:21 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Just saw the new Tomb Raider. The story was based on the 2013 game with Yamatai and Himiko, but with some changes to make it less predictable to people that have played it. The shocking twist with Himiko in the end ... it wasn't a bad, but will be quite familiar to fans of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
She pulls out a shotgun and requires Lara to move towards her in a very specific way or die instantly?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:32 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

So you recommend seeing this movie?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
She pulls out a shotgun and requires Lara to move towards her in a very specific way or die instantly?
I want to answer that question, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone interested in seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
So you recommend seeing this movie?
Yeah, definitely. It's miles better than the Angelina movies. Honestly never thought she was right for the role to begin with.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 03-20-2018, 03:37 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I actually like the first Jolie movie. It's one of my guilty pleasure movies because when you look at the source material, what did you expect from a live action movie of it? It's got fan service and dumb cheesy action and corny lines. It's awesome

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 03-26-2018, 07:53 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The setup for the game always kind of bothered me from a logical perspective: I mean I've seen enough about shipwrecks to know all of the exposed ships would have been pounded to nothing by waves centuries ago, but how has this island been here with things disappearing all this time, yet the coastguard doesn't know about it? It's like the world affects the history of the island but not the other way around.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
The setup for the game always kind of bothered me from a logical perspective: I mean I've seen enough about shipwrecks to know all of the exposed ships would have been pounded to nothing by waves centuries ago, but how has this island been here with things disappearing all this time, yet the coastguard doesn't know about it? It's like the world affects the history of the island but not the other way around.
The same logic applies to the fact that this is some kind of no go zone where local navies avoid like the plague. We can call it magic or some other bullshit.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
The setup for the game always kind of bothered me from a logical perspective: I mean I've seen enough about shipwrecks to know all of the exposed ships would have been pounded to nothing by waves centuries ago,
Most of the shipwrecks, at least. It would depend on what conditions they become stranded in. By the time the game takes place, the wooden sailing ships would almost certainly be rotted to practically nothing, while the bow section of the Endurance would probably last about a decade or so before the waves tore it apart (a la, the SS America/American Star) and the Japanese battleship, like the Murmansk and the World Discoverer, would likely remain intact for decades due to being in a small inlet protected from the waves.

Quote:
but how has this island been here with things disappearing all this time, yet the coastguard doesn't know about it? It's like the world affects the history of the island but not the other way around.
Well, it is or at some point was known, as a sizable, well-equipped Japanese expedition and an unknown number of US Marines landed on it at some point during WWII. Trinity also knew about the island and sent at least one agent there to sabotage the Japs' operations. At some point, it would appear the location was lost, with the game's writers using the storms conjured up by Himiko as an explanation, though it doesn't really hold up as the storms only appear when a ship or plane approaches the island, thus leaving it open for satellite photography. If the storms were perpetual, the island could conceivably be hidden from satellites, but then someone would surely have noticed this storm off the coast of Japan that's been going on for practically forever and scientific eyes from all over the world fall on the area which would no doubt somehow still reveal the presence of the island.

In short, "lost" or uncharted islands simply don't work as a plot device in the age of Google Earth.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 03-28-2018, 03:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

I already don't like the fact that they removed the mini map for Far Cry 5. Now every time I need to know where I am going, I need to pull up the full size map since markers on the compass only tell you general direction and not an actual route.

I don't like the fact that they took out crafting of holsters and bigger ammo pouches into a perk system. All other Perks I am ok with, but this means less item and weapons selection early in the game unlike the last 2 games.

Even though they made the MAC-10 type gun a sidearm equipable weapon, that doesn't apply for the MP5K that you get if you buy the game new.

I also don't like how they made money harder to get now because enemies don't have random crap you can loot and sell anymore and when you clear Outposts and primary missions, enemy bodies disappear, meaning less things to loot.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:13 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I also don't like how they made money harder to get now because enemies don't have random crap you can loot and sell anymore and when you clear Outposts and primary missions, enemy bodies disappear, meaning less things to loot.
Talk to every civilian you meet, half the time they'll give you the location of a prepper stash. Those are absolutely stuffed with cash and also always have three perk points in them.

Other than that, go kill some bears and sell the skins, or try finding a "hard" fishing spot, some of the fish are worth pretty good money.

The one thing I really don't like is the health system: can't craft health kits, so they have to make the entire health bar regenerate? Really?
Old 03-28-2018, 07:48 PM
IMFDB Admin

I do like how weapons have select fire instead of default though I think the DMR and the regular AR are a bit weird. They seemed to have the exact damage except the DMR has a much slower rate of fire as in the character pulls the trigger slower. I've been running around with the basic AR (AR-C) in semi and getting better hits than I ever did with DMR variant despite technically being longer range.