imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 06-16-2021, 04:16 PM

Lightbulb Al Pacino's Colt 1991A1 handgun from "Heat" is up for sale.

Apparently it's being sold for a "cool $100,000".
Old 06-17-2021, 12:53 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Whew. Just a little out of my budget. If I actually had $100,000 to spend on a firearm I would buy a custom made double barreled rifle from Westley Richards in caliber 470 Nitro Express with drop locks, single trigger and 25" barrels.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
If I actually had $100,000 to spend on a firearm I would buy a custom made double barreled rifle from Westley Richards in caliber 470 Nitro Express with drop locks, single trigger and 25" barrels.
Why would you prefer just a single trigger for a double-barrelled rifle? Would a bolt-action rifle in that caliber be more practical?
Old 06-17-2021, 08:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Why would you prefer just a single trigger for a double-barrelled rifle? Would a bolt-action rifle in that caliber be more practical?
If you are using it for hunting, double rifles are still a pretty big thing as they allow you an immediate follow up shot as quick as you can pull the trigger. This is especially important if you are hunting something that can also kill you.

As for the triggers a single trigger is generlly regarded as faster, and in the case of a failed first shot you just pull it again rather than having to shift to another trigger. You just need to make sure that the single trigger is mechanically switched rather than inertia switched, as with the latter if you have a dud round (or empty first chamber) the trigger will not switch to the second barrel automatically.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:46 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
If you are using it for hunting, double rifles are still a pretty big thing as they allow you an immediate follow up shot as quick as you can pull the trigger. This is especially important if you are hunting something that can also kill you.

As for the triggers a single trigger is generlly regarded as faster, and in the case of a failed first shot you just pull it again rather than having to shift to another trigger. You just need to make sure that the single trigger is mechanically switched rather than inertia switched, as with the latter if you have a dud round (or empty first chamber) the trigger will not switch to the second barrel automatically.
Bullseye. Additionally the drop locks allow you to replace the lock-work if it should break and you are several hundred miles out in the bush and far away from the nearest gunsmith. Finally, double barreled rifles are just very very cool.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post

I understand. It's just that I'm used to seeing double-barrelled shotguns with two triggers.

Anyone here still a big enough fan of the movie Heat to actually think about buying this screen-used handgun?
Old 06-21-2021, 02:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post

Anyone here still a big enough fan of the movie Heat to actually think about buying this screen-used handgun?
You're talking about the most distinctive weapon in one of the beloved gun movies of all time. The only other weapon that would come close in terms of being immediately identifiable would be the Colt Government from Cobra.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
The only other weapon that would come close in terms of being immediately identifiable would be the Colt Government from Cobra.
Or Dirty Harry's Model 29.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 06-23-2021, 01:47 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Or Dirty Harry's Model 29.
Dirty Harry's Model 29, John McClane's Beretta, or Bond's PPK are rather non-descript, however, and if you saw any of them at the range, you wouldn't think anything of it. If you saw a Colt Officer ACP with white grips, you're going to think Heat.

That's be an interesting list, the most distinctive cinematic firearms. I'd nominate the two mentioned above, the Man from UNCLE P38, the Blade Runner blaster and the MAC-10 from Escape from New York, at the very least.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:55 AM
IMFDB Admin

Maybe it is just my apathy towards 1911s, but I would have never considered the Colt from Heat to be an iconic gun. I suppose it is sort of distinctive as it is "custom", but all that it has is just a pair of plain ivory grips so nothing really special. If you asked me what the iconic guns from Heat were I would go straight to the rifles, the 733s, the Galil, the HK 91 and the FNC.

As for distinctive movie guns, I think you have to separate it into two different categories. There are a lot of distinctive guns because they are essentially fake things that use a real gun as a base, like the M41A, the Morita, Star Wars blasters, Blade Runner pistol, stuff like that. The trickier and perhaps more interesting to think about category are things that are meant to be real guns but have been customised in distinctive ways. Stuff like the AMT Hardballer from termiantor, the Cleric Berettas from Equilibrium, Delta carbines from Black Hawk down, stuff like that.

Last edited by commando552; 06-24-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Tags
al pacino, colt, handgun, heat