imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-20-2008, 01:45 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Hey MT, I remember you said you're not a fan of .45s because they are too big. I compared a Beretta 92FS to a 1911. For a small handed shooter, a 1911fits better. Berettas have wider grips. I think Tauruses are thinner but still, wouldn't a 1911 fit your hands better? Although 1911s are a little harder to control, you get used to them eventually to the point that they feel like a 9mm. I'm not trying to sell it to you but I was just a little curious on the matter.
I didn't mean they're literally "too big"; I meant they're too big in the sense that I have a bit more difficulty handling recoil. Though that being said, the 4506 (which I own) is still gigantic both in terms of caliber and in terms of recoil. Then again, I rarely fire the 4506, and until recently, wasn't doing much shooting at all. I do intend to try a lot harder to get myself into 1911s. But the 4506, I can't imagine myself getting used to.

I have pretty long fingers, so guns with wide grips don't tend to bother me as much as they do other people with hands similar in size to mine. If you take a look at that picture on my profile showing a P226 in my hand, you can see what my hands look like.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:58 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Your 4506

You should sell it on Gunbroker.com so I can enjoy it.

I misunderstood what you meant by "big".
Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I got my eyes set on a 1911 one day.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-20-2008, 07:53 AM
IMFDB Admin

I prefer the series 70s because they are very customizable but any Colt works for me. Colt made the best 1911s in my opinion.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:47 PM

The key word there is "made." Nowadays, I think Springfield does the best job, sheerly because of their kick ass customer service, which makes your gun virtually immortal. Plus you can get custom grade tackdrivers for much lower prices than an original WWII/Series 70 Colt made 1911s, or lower than a lot of other company's guns. Colts are collectors first, and shooters second, Springfields are vice versa.

Also, no comment on my Christmas present? : (
Old 12-21-2008, 01:16 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post

That a S&W Model 19? Hope you win, looks like it's in great shape.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 AM

I have in my dreams:
Austeyr
Glock18
Mini-Uzi
HK G3 for sniper uses
Old 01-03-2009, 09:38 PM

I dunno, I do like my Kimbers. Hell of a gun, though the parkerising on the Custom IIs is pretty bad. Easy fix though.

I agree about that Colt made some of the best originals, though a WWII Remington Rand has its charms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
The key word there is "made." Nowadays, I think Springfield does the best job, sheerly because of their kick ass customer service, which makes your gun virtually immortal. Plus you can get custom grade tackdrivers for much lower prices than an original WWII/Series 70 Colt made 1911s, or lower than a lot of other company's guns. Colts are collectors first, and shooters second, Springfields are vice versa.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 AM

Here's my gun

Webley MkVI, cylinder's been converted though. Havent fired it yet, due to the crippling fear I have of using modern, high power rounds in this old warhorse, so I've been looking for someone to create for me, some powered down rounds.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:57 PM

Problem you're gonna find loading for that is it really shoots best with lead bullets - .45 Colt bullets are a little undersized, but work well enough without getting into really expensive casting setups. Load a 250 grain bullet to about 600 FPS and you're within the ballpark of what the .455 should be doing.

When these were first converted in the 50s and 60s guys shot USGI surplus in them all the time, but it's still a proposition I can't really recommend. I've got a Mk.VI that's still in .455 and it's a joy to shoot.