imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-17-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Exactly! I buy guns because they have history, if I wanted something perfect I'd go buy a Sako Bavarian at work.
If I ever felt the need for another hunting rifle, and could find a leftie one, a Mannlicher stocked rifle like that Sako would be it

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-18-2014, 12:24 AM

I'm not really into hunting, although I'll admit a certain temptation to take my Rem Model 8 .35 on a bear hunt.

Speaking of vintage semi-autos, I just received this 1908 production Winchester Model 1907 in .351 WSL, to replace my 1954 production model. Seeing as I'm interested in these for their use in WW1 and the gangster era of the 30s, I definitely wanted the pre-war model with it's lighter stock and smaller cocking plunger. The postwar model is definitely an all around improvement, although the earlier one is a lot nicer looking! It's not as nice as my newer one, and it has a split forend (all the prewar ones do, the wood was way too thin to stand up to the pounding from the counterweight inside), but it's the one I really wanted. As a bonus, this one has the special order factory sing swivels!

Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
I'm not really into hunting, although I'll admit a certain temptation to take my Rem Model 8 .35 on a bear hunt.

Speaking of vintage semi-autos, I just received this 1908 production Winchester Model 1907 in .351 WSL, to replace my 1954 production model. Seeing as I'm interested in these for their use in WW1 and the gangster era of the 30s, I definitely wanted the pre-war model with it's lighter stock and smaller cocking plunger. The postwar model is definitely an all around improvement, although the earlier one is a lot nicer looking! It's not as nice as my newer one, and it has a split forend (all the prewar ones do, the wood was way too thin to stand up to the pounding from the counterweight inside), but it's the one I really wanted. As a bonus, this one has the special order factory sing swivels!

That's a great find. One of the "Police Specials". Way to go!
Old 07-18-2014, 11:55 PM

How difficult is it to find .351 WSL? Can't imagine how much it must suck to have a gun with really uncommon ammo that's fun to shoot; just finding/buying .303 makes me cry because it is so expensive and not very available

Old 07-19-2014, 06:20 AM

I picked up a 50 round box of 1970s Winchester Super X at a gun show and shoot it quite sparingly - it's not an easy caliber to shoot, that's for sure! Still, not as bad as some of the other guns in my collection (10.6mm German Ordnance Revolver, anyone?) Apparently PCI still loads it in the States, but no one brings it up here.

It is quite a fun gun to shoot, the big counter weight slamming forward really keeps the recoil down, it almost wants to pull forward after every shot. Very controllable, even firing quickly! It's too bad the round was never chambered in more guns, it really does suck as a deer hunting round but makes a great short-range manstopper - it would have been a big step up from .30 Carbine if they'd chambered it in something like an M1!
Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I picked up a 50 round box of 1970s Winchester Super X at a gun show and shoot it quite sparingly - it's not an easy caliber to shoot, that's for sure! Still, not as bad as some of the other guns in my collection (10.6mm German Ordnance Revolver, anyone?) Apparently PCI still loads it in the States, but no one brings it up here.

It is quite a fun gun to shoot, the big counter weight slamming forward really keeps the recoil down, it almost wants to pull forward after every shot. Very controllable, even firing quickly! It's too bad the round was never chambered in more guns, it really does suck as a deer hunting round but makes a great short-range manstopper - it would have been a big step up from .30 Carbine if they'd chambered it in something like an M1!
Go back in time-->select fire Winchesters for erryone-->beat those commie bastards to having a real assault rifle-->get US army equipped with it so we have a jump-start on everyone else

Old 07-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
I own several issues of "Guns & Ammo" from 1967-1972. In the November 1968 issue there is an article about Savage being criticized for it's logo and advertising. In the late sixties Savage had an ad campaign with actual North American Indians posing with the various models that the company was making.

Savage responded that the company is sensitive towards issues concerning the Indians, that Savage contributes to various organizations and charities and that the Indians who are in their ads approved of the campaign and it's depiction of Indians.

Savage was dealing with that controversy long before professional sports teams were. Just FYI.
Somehow missed this on the first go-around! I think Savage has, at lease since the 50s, been quite sensitive with their advertising and remains very popular with the native hunters I deal with at work. I just find the whole Chief Lame Deer story highly suspect given the timeframes involved.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 PM

You guys will definitely get a kick out of this one - I got a grenade launcher cup for a SMLE, in this case pictured with my 1943 Ishapore Mk.III*. Really simple design, clamps onto the muzzle and fits a Mills bomb with a gas check plate threaded on (don't have that piece yet) inside the cup. Simply insert the grenade, pull the pin (the cup holds down the safety lever), chamber a grenade launching blank and fire it off. Ranging is controlled by the adjustable gas bleed-off valve at the base of the cup. Effective from 50-200M, introduced midway through WW1 and largely replaced by the 2" light mortar in WW2, except in the Indian Army. I'm obviously not going to screw up my Mills bomb by shooting it, but they can launch tennis balls, so it's time to load up some blanks!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Random trivia I just picked up today: Prior to inventing the Mills Bomb, William Mills developed and manufactured metal golf clubs.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:14 AM

Kids on lawn-->launch tennis balls with grenade launcher