imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 PM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

Default 1911 Page

I wanted to bump along the topic of when to put 1911s on their own page vs. the M1911 pistol series page. (Discussed briefly here...). What do people think about splitting up the 1911 page a bit? Not necessarily creating a page for every one of the variants but that page is REALLY full. Might be nice to have it split up a bit in a logical manner.

Some variants absolutely belong on the M1911 page but some of the really modern ones could use their own page. Also the Double Action versions.

This page is only going to get bigger since the 1911 (and variants) is one of the most common guns around. I'd love to hear thoughts!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:20 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

By company? Whatever policy we come up with, we should do the same to the M16 page.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

I think the way the page should be split is as "Colt Variants" and then "Other Variants" which can have sections for guns like Kimber saying something like "For Kimber manufactured 1911 variants see here" or something, and also have the guns that don't warrant a different page be listed there.

Another page that a similar thing could be done for is the AK-47 page as that is pretty long as well.

The M16 page is a bit different though, with the majority of the space on the page being taken up by standard Colt variants (or guns listed as standard Colt variants due to the impossibility of telling Colt rifles apart from the hundreds of companies that make outwardly identical rifles). Maybe it could be split up into types like a page for M16 rifles and a page for carbines (maybe with the M4 having its own page, I don't know). There are a few random listing on the M16 page which I don't think need to stay, such as the "AR-15 Carbine" (don't really know what this is meant to refer to but assume it actually belongs in the "Colt AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine" section judging by the picture), and the DEA carbine which is only used in an ineligible reality show. Non Colt variants could be put on their own pages as their are only a few.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 PM

I absolutely agree with all the above. I think the AK-47 page should be split up as well as the M16 page. That being said, I strongly recommend we do one thing at a time. If admins approve, lets split up the 1911 page in an organized manner. If the split up works out and is received well, then lets discuss how to do the AK and M16 pages.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 PM

I propose making the following "subpages" that would be linked to from the M1911 page:
  • Kimber 1911s
  • Dectonics 1911s
  • Springfield Armory 1911s
  • Para-Ordnance 1911s

Another thing that is very important to note, it will be essential that whoever does this splitting up (and I will certainly do a good portion of it), MUST also cross reference. Unfortunately a lot of the pages have the links in the bad style of "[[M1911 pistol series#Springfield Armory M1911 - A1|Springfield Armory M1911A1]]" instead of just "[[Springfield Armory M1911A1]]" with a redirect. This means that if the Springfield is moved, each of these links must be changed and this will be the responsibility of the person moving the given gun.

As a side note, this is EXACTLY why you should always use redirects...
Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Another thing that would be nice about this is that there are some guns that appear in media but aren't listed on the M1911 page. THey are just thrown into the "Additional Variants" section on the talk page. This would give them a section just like everything else.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 AM
IMFDB Admin

The Kimber series page is looking good, but I would suggest a summary explanation be put at the top of the page detailing the reason why this page is different than the M1911 page. Also for the Kimber pistols that are actually on the M1911 page (such as the Kimber Custom and Kimber Warrior), please link it so it takes you directly to those pistols instead of just to the top of the M1911 page. These 1911 pistols could be on the discussion page as well.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben41 View Post
The Kimber series page is looking good, but I would suggest a summary explanation be put at the top of the page detailing the reason why this page is different than the M1911 page. Also for the Kimber pistols that are actually on the M1911 page (such as the Kimber Custom and Kimber Warrior), please link it so it takes you directly to those pistols instead of just to the top of the M1911 page. These 1911 pistols could be on the discussion page as well.
Will do! I'm gna be working on it for the next few days but it shall be done. :-)
Old 06-16-2012, 06:42 AM

I think these are coming out REALLY well (tho I am a little bias....). I also created a 1911 Category. If you add the 1911 Derivatives table to a page, that page is automatically added to the category. :-)