imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 PM

Default Time for categories for book authors with enough gun-using film adaptations?

I know Tom Clancy has one for himself, but what about other book authors whose books have been made into films? I'm sure Stephen King has had enough book-to-movie adaptations on the wiki, as does Philip K. Dick (original author behind adaptations like Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, etc.)

Or would that be irrelevant to the wiki? We already have pages for directors, but I'm sure some of us would also like to see more pages for authors with enough film/TV/game adaptations on this wiki.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I know Tom Clancy has one for himself, but what about other book authors whose books have been made into films? I'm sure Stephen King has had enough book-to-movie adaptations on the wiki, as does Philip K. Dick (original author behind adaptations like Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, etc.)

Or would that be irrelevant to the wiki? We already have pages for directors, but I'm sure some of us would also like to see more pages for authors with enough film/TV/game adaptations on this wiki.
Stephen King already has one. Clancy is kind of in a class by himself. The man doesn't just write books, he's spawned at least three video game franchises on the site.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I believe Clancy has one on the basis that "Tom Clancy's" is more a franchise than an author (he hasn't written them all himself for a long time) much like, say, the James Bond franchise. In addition there's a loose continuity between some entries (Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six and HAWX are IIRC all set in the same world). I don't think that would immediately apply to other authors in the same way.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I believe Clancy has one on the basis that "Tom Clancy's" is more a franchise than an author (he hasn't written them all himself for a long time) much like, say, the James Bond franchise. In addition there's a loose continuity between some entries (Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six and HAWX are IIRC all set in the same world). I don't think that would immediately apply to other authors in the same way.
Many of King's books occurred in the same universe, but I doubt that carried over to the movies.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Stephen King already has one.
I didn't mean just pages for authors who have been actors as well (which is how Stephen King's page on the wiki is set up); I mean category pages like those we have now for directors on the wiki. I'm sure some of us would like to quickly find all the pages based on works by certain authors.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:18 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I didn't mean just pages for authors who have been actors as well (which is how Stephen King's page on the wiki is set up); I mean category pages like those we have now for directors on the wiki. I'm sure some of us would like to quickly find all the pages based on works by certain authors.
Like I said, Stephen King already has one.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Category:Stephen_King
Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Like I said, Stephen King already has one.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Category:Stephen_King
I see, that never came up when I entered "Stephen King" without the quotes. I would still appreciate it if more Author category pages were made on this wiki for those Authors who have enough media works covered by this wiki based on their writings. Maybe even a supercategory for "Author" as well, like we have for "Actor" and "Director."
Old 04-11-2013, 05:21 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I see, that never came up when I entered "Stephen King" without the quotes. I would still appreciate it if more Author category pages were made on this wiki for those Authors who have enough media works covered by this wiki based on their writings. Maybe even a supercategory for "Author" as well, like we have for "Actor" and "Director."
Normally, we redirect the name straight to the category, but as you pointed out, King actually qualifies for an actor page here. I'm not sure what the precedent is. I've seen it done a few ways.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I can't really see much call for this, to be honest; when you look at a page you might want to look up another film by the same director, but I can't really see anyone thinking 'hey, I wonder what guns were in other movies based on short stories by the same author.' Being a franchise, Clancy is more like a producer than a writer, and King isn't just a writer, he's also acted and even directed (though people try to forget about Maximum Overdrive as a rule).
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Elmore Leonard is also a category. Stick, Joe Kidd, 3:10 to Yuma, Hombre, Stick, Get Shortly, Last Stand at Sabre River, Justified, Jackie Brown, Out of Sight and more. The man is a machine. But most authors haven't had that many of their novels or short stories turned into movies. I like the system that is in place.

Last edited by Jcordell; 04-11-2013 at 09:22 PM.