imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 PM

Default Fictional firearms

Among the reqirements to create a page for a fictional weapon are these rules: If they are fictional weapons built upon a real firearm, and :If the weapon (for any reason) would lead the general public to believe that it is a real firearms or based on one.

Considering thaat, I think some of the pages should be deleted. Here's what I think should go:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/%28Ae..._Trooper_Rifle
It isn't based on a real weapon, and I don't see anyone thinking that it is real of based on a real gun. Besides, the page admits it's a CGI and plastic weapon

All the District 9 weapons, they don't have any real gun under the plastic shell and noone is going to mistake them for real guns.

The BFG9000 should stay, if only because it's cool.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/%28Fa...ing_Missile%22
Ok. so its looks kind of real, but it's just plastic, no base weapon

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/%28Me...%22Red_Club%22
This thing can't be based of anything real, and looks more like a flare pistol or something.

Waht do you all think?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

We also have a problem with people posting fictional weapons pages like Aliens Resurrection and someone wants to redo the Halo page

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

I'm torn on that. The Gatling Gun Rifle from Aeon Flux walks the fine line. People 'could' think it is based on a real weapon and thus should be represented as something they could check on. Remember that the requirement that 'someone COULD think that it is based on a real weapon' is very flexible for people who don't have the same depth of knowledge as many of our experienced members.

What I don't like are fictional guns which are artwork. Guns from ANIME or Videogames can be anything. Seriously. The artist has free reign to do whatever they want .... create any idiotic hybrid that they want. The difference is that in movies and TV, someone had to BUILD the prop, so it's either real or based on a real gun or complete fantasy. But in Anime & VG, an artist just has to think it up and draw it. Whoopie Doo! Even if the weapon is based on a real gun, I don't think the general public would ever care, nor wonder if it was.

We're here to dispel myths, rumors and falsehoods. This started as the FILM weapon database and it was supposed to dispel urban myths about movie guns.

I'm for eliminating any fictional weapon listing that is not a 3 dimensional prop (that is except for items that are really famous and firmly embedded in the public mind, like the BFG). Thoughts?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 PM

I'm for getting rid of all fictional weapons period. But that's just me.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 PM

Im cool with fictional weapons based on a base gun, like "Vera" in firefly is a saiga 12 under all the cosmetics.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Apparently on the Halo discussion page, someone said that there is no rule on not posting fictional firearms.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”