imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 10-11-2010, 06:43 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default The movie Salt

Liev Schreiber switching accent doesnt really make sense

SPOILER!!!!!!

In the last scene under the White House, Schreiber goes from American accent to instantly a thick Russian accent while speaking English. Aside from how stupid the rest of the movie, this really bothered me about his acting up to that point. Was it really nessessary for him to switch accent just because he's a Russian spy? His character was raised to pose as an american way and to eliminate his russian heritage. He should not even have a Russian accent.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

Well he hated America, so he probably despised speaking with an American accent.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Well he hated America, so he probably despised speaking with an American accent.
That logic also doesn't make sense. You can hate a country, but if you were raised in all things about it, it would seem silly to even pretend to act like you have a Russian accent for the sake of it. My guess it was done for the scene just so to remind us "Oh, he's a Russian spy, listen to his fake Russian accent."

An "accent" happens to you because you were raised in a certain area, even in America. It is part of you subconsciousness that you dont even realize you are speaking it.

I am Chinese. I was born in Chicago, raised in the "south side". I don't have a "Chinese accent" or any type of Asian accent. If you listen to me over the phone, I wouldn't sound chinese to you at all. I do speak fluent Chinese, but I speak it with an "American accent" or some say a Hong Kong accent because of the many English speakin Chinese in that part of Chinese because my first language is English.

If I try hard enough, I can pretend to have a Chinese accent, but it's hard because I lived my life without really being Chinese. So switching back and forth, I always have an "American" accent.

So for a Russian spy who was raised since a little kid to speak English as his first language and everything American, he should not have even a hint of Russian in his speak. I can understand if he RECENTLY in the past few years started speaking English, but he was raised from a little kid.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

*Slaps forehead*

Jesus Christ, I realize we're all nerds here, but...why are you over-thinking this so much?

Simple explanation: He goes back to speaking in a "Russian" accent so that the movie's audience can tell that he's actually Russian. Movies like "Salt" are made for dumb teenagers who think that being a sleeper agent means that the bad guy has to speak with an accent.

Duh. No essay-length post necessary.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Liev Schreiber switching accent doesnt really make sense

SPOILER!!!!!!

In the last scene under the White House, Schreiber goes from American accent to instantly a thick Russian accent while speaking English. Aside from how stupid the rest of the movie, this really bothered me about his acting up to that point. Was it really nessessary for him to switch accent just because he's a Russian spy? His character was raised to pose as an american way and to eliminate his russian heritage. He should not even have a Russian accent.
lol, reminds me of this cracked article.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18721...languages.html

#4 in particular
Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
*Slaps forehead*

why are you over-thinking this so much?
The movie itself is bad, but this just bothers me.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Simple explanation: He goes back to speaking in a "Russian" accent so that the movie's audience can tell that he's actually Russian. Movies like "Salt" are made for dumb teenagers who think that being a sleeper agent means that the bad guy has to speak with an accent.
Simple explanation: the movie was garbage.