imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-28-2011, 12:46 AM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

I am surprised there is any kind of resistance or unreasonable attitude when it comes to period work. Just like costumes, vehicles, computer tech, TV's, whatever, the guns have to be correct. Just watched Super 8 and I was happy with the work done on making the film feel period.

I'll tell you what, if the director doesn't do his or her homework on researching all aspects of the era they are portraying on screen, fuck 'em. They are not doing their job. I get really bothered by a lot of the kids coming out of film school who just don't get it.

"I love the guns!" Really? You should know they are wrong pinhead!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:15 PM

Yeah, except Super 8 had the Air Force guys wearing horrendous blue berets, shoddy insignia placement on the officer insignia,heck back then, if I recall correctly they were still SPs and didn't wear the blue beret yet. Plus horrible insignia placement for the Colonel. Wrong pistol belts, wrong holsters, and at that point the USAF was still issuing the Combat Masterpiece, not to mention the M-46 tanks, which atleast had the correct paint schemes.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 AM

I really want to see movies with m16s at a roswell crash or a fed firing a 5-7 in the 60s

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 AM

This is why I actually bother to take the time and research appropriate guns for a setting I'm writing if I have nothing canon to draw on (I'm a fan-fiction writer, deal with it. ).

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:47 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I really want to see movies with m16s at a roswell crash or a fed firing a 5-7 in the 60s
Maybe you'll get lucky and Uwe Boll will do an alien movie.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Maybe you'll get lucky and Uwe Boll will do an alien movie.
I think even Uwe Boll would know there were no M16s in 1947.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 12-13-2011, 02:47 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
Yeah, except Super 8 had the Air Force guys wearing horrendous blue berets, shoddy insignia placement on the officer insignia,heck back then, if I recall correctly they were still SPs and didn't wear the blue beret yet.
I believe we had this discussion on IMFDB about the blue berets on the Star Trek page. SAC security had funky looking blue berets in the 60's and each base had their own way of wearing them. There was a website about SAC security that had a lot of photos of them with their berets.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 PM

Good point on the SAC Security guys. Heck, they were the fellas LeMay wanted the original AR-15 for. I do believe that is the heraldic basis of the current SF blue beret worn by USAF Sky Cops.

That being said, surely the USAF truck drivers in that operation weren't SAC cops, now were they?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Good point on the SAC Security guys. Heck, they were the fellas LeMay wanted the original AR-15 for. I do believe that is the heraldic basis of the current SF blue beret worn by USAF Sky Cops.

That being said, surely the USAF truck drivers in that operation weren't SAC cops, now were they?
Have not seen the film as I have been slammed with film work myself. But you can stretch the truth on this and say due to the highly classified operation that SAC cops were used as drivers..

A piece of historical fact on LeMay's AR-15 order for SAC cops. The first batches of AR's had Air Force Insignia Blue furniture on them. It's hard to spot in photos but I had some in my hands to look at and they are blue paint over brown fiberglass.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Who says they wouldn't just grab a SAC E-nothing and task him with driver duty.