imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 06-17-2013, 02:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
I don't think you should read too much into what condition people carry pistols in for TV and movies. I would imagine that most of the time when you see a pistol in a holster it is either a replica or completely unloaded, so don' think they would bother cocking it to look like it was loaded. Also, they might not like people walking around with a holstered gun that it cocked, as it may be a safety concern.

Just BTW, I don't think you should ever carry a 1911 in condition 2 anyway, either 1 or 3 are the safer ways. It was designed to be carried cocked with the safety on, and in the original 1911s (pre Series 80 I think) there wasn't a hammer block meaning that if dropped from a height or knocked with considerable force there is a danger of it going off it it was kept hammer down on a loaded chamber.
Well, the safety issue is another reason why it bugs me. I've seen a lot of debate online as to whether or not Browning designed it to be carried cocked, but my point was, if he had any safety concerns, he probably would've picked a different sidearm. And I understand that it's just a show, and I've seen plenty of that capping Law & Order , (I'm still kicking myself for not keeping that cap of a cop walking around with an empty holster,) but this show talks a lot about guns, in a gun-friendly region.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

It's the details that they DO get that make the ones they miss really annoying. They actually show Walt decocking his M1911 in one scene before reholstering, so Condition 2 is a deliberate choice. But then they have him raiding a tent with pistol drawn but hammer down. In another scene, they had another character use the decocker on his P226 before handing it over to someone else. The fact that the gun was in his left hand made the action even more deliberate.

I'm had it with trying to cap from streaming, there's just too much movement. I'm just going to get the discs from Netflix.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
It's the details that they DO get that make the ones they miss really annoying. They actually show Walt decocking his M1911 in one scene before reholstering, so Condition 2 is a deliberate choice. But then they have him raiding a tent with pistol drawn but hammer down. In another scene, they had another character use the decocker on his P226 before handing it over to someone else. The fact that the gun was in his left hand made the action even more deliberate.

I'm had it with trying to cap from streaming, there's just too much movement. I'm just going to get the discs from Netflix.
This show is by no means alone in having people hold an M1911 with the hammer down and treating it like it is ready to fire. People aiming single action pistols with the hammer down is up there with pistols firing more than a magazine's worth of bullet without reloading in terms of common gun goofs.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:48 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
This show is by no means alone in having people hold an M1911 with the hammer down and treating it like it is ready to fire. People aiming single action pistols with the hammer down is up there with pistols firing more than a magazine's worth of bullet without reloading in terms of common gun goofs.
Oh, I know that, but like I said, to miss that and then including rarely seen details like decocking? I don't remember ever seeing anyone on TV use the decocker on a SIG-Sauer before, much less left-handed. (And the shooter wasn't even left-handed.)
Old 06-17-2013, 11:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Oh, I know that, but like I said, to miss that and then including rarely seen details like decocking? I don't remember ever seeing anyone on TV use the decocker on a SIG-Sauer before, much less left-handed. (And the shooter wasn't even left-handed.)
I haven't seen it, but I assume that decocking the gun in this case is important to the plot or to the flow of the scene, as opposed to having the hammer cocked on a single action contributes nothing with the exception of a tiny bit of realism that probably less than 1% will notice or care about. To me I see a decocked SA pistol as a goof rather than a suggestion that someone is intentionally carrying in condition 2. Similarly to how I assume it is a goof if someone fires 18 round out of a P226 rather than assuming they are using a Mec-Gar flush fit extended mag or something.

Using the decocker is pretty rare though but dropping the hammer with you thumb appears quite a lot, I guess because to the general audience decocked equals safe. I have seen a few things where people use a decocker properly on a gun though, a P226 in Jormungand and P99s in a few Bond films are the only thing that I can immediately think of but am sure there are others.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:21 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I haven't seen it, but I assume that decocking the gun in this case is important to the plot or to the flow of the scene, as opposed to having the hammer cocked on a single action contributes nothing with the exception of a tiny bit of realism that probably less than 1% will notice or care about. To me I see a decocked SA pistol as a goof rather than a suggestion that someone is intentionally carrying in condition 2. Similarly to how I assume it is a goof if someone fires 18 round out of a P226 rather than assuming they are using a Mec-Gar flush fit extended mag or something.

Using the decocker is pretty rare though but dropping the hammer with you thumb appears quite a lot, I guess because to the general audience decocked equals safe. I have seen a few things where people use a decocker properly on a gun though, a P226 in Jormungand and P99s in a few Bond films are the only thing that I can immediately think of but am sure there are others.
The guy with the P226 decocked right before surrendering his pistol. Since it was in his left hand, he had to move this thumb to the left, which looked a bit awkward. I'm guessing lefties would be more likely to use the thumb and trigger method.

I've never used the decocker on a SIG-Sauer, is it safe to just flick it with your thumb? With my P38, I read someplace that you were supposed to hold the hammer back with your right thumb while flicking the safety/decocker with your left hand. I'm not sure if that's for all pistols with decockers or just the P38 because it's old.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
The guy with the P226 decocked right before surrendering his pistol. Since it was in his left hand, he had to move this thumb to the left, which looked a bit awkward. I'm guessing lefties would be more likely to use the thumb and trigger method.

I've never used the decocker on a SIG-Sauer, is it safe to just flick it with your thumb? With my P38, I read someplace that you were supposed to hold the hammer back with your right thumb while flicking the safety/decocker with your left hand. I'm not sure if that's for all pistols with decockers or just the P38 because it's old.
With Sig pistols you push the decocker down with your thumb and it drops the hammer a fraction, and then as you take your thumb off the decocker it lowers it the rest of the way. if you were to just flick the decocker it would drop the hammer quickly rather than lowering it slowly, but it is still safe due to the firing pin block which is only released when the trigger is pulled. When you put the safety on with pistols with a safety/decocker like the Beretta 92FS it just drops the hammer like when it is fired, but due to the firing pin block nothing happens.

The reason the P38 decocker is not trusted is that on guns like the Beretta 92 the firing pin rotates out of alignment with the hammer/chamber as you push the safety down, meaning that when the hammer is released when the lever is in the safe position it drops onto the side of the housing rather than the firing pin itself meaning that there is no chance of a discharge. On the P38 the firing pin is not blocked or rotated out of the way, it is just locked in position. It is possible that this lock could fail (particularly if the hammer is dropped onto it with full force) hence why it is best to control it with your thumb. In fact, this is exactly what the manual for the Walther P1 tells you to do.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I think it's worth pointing out that Katee Sackhoff looks absolutely amazing on this show. I don't know if it's the way she wears her hair, or that she looks like she lost some weight, or that she doesn't play a character with a ton of emotional baggage, but this is the hottest I've ever seen her. And she definitely on the short list of "Actresses who know how to properly handle guns."