imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 PM

Default Anyone ever bought police trade ins?

Wondering if there a good deal? Ive heard two trains of thought, that they are mechanically excellent due to fring little and finish wear due to carrying a lot. Also heard they are generally abused by being cared for by non gun people. Seeing some police trade ins at good prices online and wondering if it would be worth it, i even found pre b cz75s with obvious finish wear though for 289.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 07-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Generally I would say that they are ok but i would still prefer to inspect it before you buy. I bought a police trade in Ruger P94 at a gun show once that had no holster wear at all but was a little finicky about what ammo it shoots.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 PM

problem is most are online, there is occasionally glocks at cabelas, but i could buy a blue label for slightly more, and i dont even like glocks...

The pre b czs i see may be good range guns though, 289+10 shipping+ 20 transfer is 319 for a good shooter.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 07-08-2011, 05:16 PM
IMFDB Admin

My police trade-in buys.

Beretta 92F made in '87, some holster wear, all I did was change the recoil spring. Haven't had any issues with it. Paid around $350, very happy with it.

S&W Model 10 4" HB, made in '79. Quite a bit of holster wear. Timing and lock up seems okay, bought it from J&G sales. Paid around $240, there are better deals on GB then you know exactly what you are getting.

S&W Model 64 NY1 4" HB DAO made in '91, some holster wear but overall in very good condition. paid $310 (from J&G also) I haven't shot it or the Model 10 yet, too many other weekend projects, plan on taking them out this weekend. Pretty happy with it, will know more once I shoot it.

Most police trade-ins aren't bad buys as long as you can deal with some wear. They are also usually maintained regularly (depends on the department though) If they have the option of handpick for an extra $10, it would be worth it.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
My police trade-in buys.

Beretta 92F made in '87, some holster wear, all I did was change the recoil spring. Haven't had any issues with it. Paid around $350, very happy with it.

S&W Model 10 4" HB, made in '79. Quite a bit of holster wear. Timing and lock up seems okay, bought it from J&G sales. Paid around $240, there are better deals on GB then you know exactly what you are getting.

S&W Model 64 NY1 4" HB DAO made in '91, some holster wear but overall in very good condition. paid $310 (from J&G also) I haven't shot it or the Model 10 yet, too many other weekend projects, plan on taking them out this weekend. Pretty happy with it, will know more once I shoot it.

Most police trade-ins aren't bad buys as long as you can deal with some wear. They are also usually maintained regularly (depends on the department though) If they have the option of handpick for an extra $10, it would be worth it.
Is the Model 64 internally DAO or just missing the hammer spur?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe2010 View Post
Is the Model 64 internally DAO or just missing the hammer spur?
Internally, with the hammer bobbed also. If you try to pull it into single action it won't stay back. It's was made specifically for the New York Police by S&W.

I brought them with me to shoot this past weekend but forgot to bring any 38 Special ammo. I'll have a show and tell video up on them this evening.