imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-24-2008, 02:36 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default OK, so let's get some forum conduct rules going

Over the last few months, as we've expanded, we've seen quite a few users challenging us in a number of ways, and doing stuff we don't consider appropriate IMFDB etiquette. Most of these things are various little nuisances that bothered us a little bit (i.e. failing to spell properly or failing to use proper grammar in movie titles), others a bit more serious (vandalizing pages).

So, I call on all of my fellow IMFDB admins (Bunni, Gunmaster, Orca MoviePropMaster, Alienqueen, Excalibur, etc.) to help me put together a set of rules that relate to IMFDB content. What we agree on in this topic should become final for a page that all users will be expected to follow.

I will start:

(1.) (Most important) IMFDB HAS A ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY FOR VANDALISM. Anyone who is caught inserting gibberish into pages or removing content from pages unnecessarily will be immediately banned. (I think first-time vandals should get banned for 2 days, and then permanently if they do it again).

(2.) Do not upload images or make pages for guns that we already have, unless it's another variant that we missed. Even then, we prefer that you do not upload images of guns that do not appear in movies, or which could not possibly appear in any movies. What this means is that weird experimental guns that never went into production should not be on IMFDB.

(3.) MoviePropMaster's gun images are absolutely untouchable by anyone other than himself, because the fact that they're exclusive to us makes them by default better than anything we can get off World Guns, Remtek, or any other site. This is sort of a moot point, since he can protect his images now, but just in case he ever forgets one...it is NOT to be messed with.

(4.) When doing a new page for a film, make sure the title is grammatically correct and capitalized, and don't use symbols unless they actually appear in the official title. For instance, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade‎" should not be "Indiana Jones & the last crusade". When in doubt, go to IMDB and copy-and-paste the title as it appears there. (However, I must remind Admins that we have many users on here from other countries, for whom English is not a first language. In Spanish, for instance, only the first word of any title is capitalized. So be picky, but be culturally sensitive, too. ).

(5.) Before you make a page for a gun that you THINK IMFDB doesn't have, check carefully. Just because it doesn't have its own individual page doesn't mean it doesn't have one on another page. The M4 Carbine, for instance, goes on the "M16 rifle series" page, while all of the MP5, Glock, and SIG P220 variants are grouped on one page, etc. IMFDB's de facto policy for a while has been to group variants of particular guns - or guns that belong to the same basic family of weapons - on one page.

(6.) ANY USER-CREATED MEDIA - meaning any movie, TV show, video game, or anime series that is not documented on IMDB, All Movie/TV/Game Guides, TV.com, IGN, or any other reputable media database - does not belong on IMFDB. This site documents gun appearances in professional media only. More specifically, this applies to user-made flash games, YouTube home movies done with airsoft guns, or anything else of the sort. The only exceptions will be user-created mods for first-person shooter video game (i.e. any of the mods for "Half-Life") - provided they are well-known and popular enough to warrant a page. When in doubt, ask an administrator and we will determine a game mod's value to IMFDB.

Keep 'em coming...

Last edited by MT2008; 12-24-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:06 AM

Could you clarify rule 3, cause I have used MPM's images (resized as thumbnails) here and there off of the site, though I have never taken credit for them as my own. Am I in violation of anything; do I have to delete them?
Old 12-24-2008, 04:52 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Could you clarify rule 3, cause I have used MPM's images (resized as thumbnails) here and there off of the site, though I have never taken credit for them as my own. Am I in violation of anything; do I have to delete them?
I meant don't edit/replace MPM's pics on this site. As far as using them off site, I dunno, you'd have to ask him.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:38 AM

Oh I get what you're saying now. Nevermind then.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I meant don't edit/replace MPM's pics on this site. As far as using them off site, I dunno, you'd have to ask him.
Thanks for posting the clarification re my pics. It has been nice that you guys have been pretty protective of the pics I upload.

As for IMFDB. Any user or member can utilize the pics to populate pages on THIS site with pics of the guns. That's what they're here for. I granted IMFDB exclusive usage rights, which makes IMFDB the only place on the web who can LEGALLY use them. Of course there are some exceptions when IMFDB members in some way promotes or markets this site on other sites.

I am sure any other member who takes photos of their own guns or of example weapons would have the same copyright agreement. On another note, I am personally 'tickled' that we have pics that no one else on the web has. As well as custom movie gun photos that no other firearms site would ever have. So use them on any page on IMFDB that you so desire. I only have issues with other websites using them, unless I granted them permission.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:58 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

What about years at the end of some films that aren't remakes? As in the year the movie came out

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-24-2008, 05:10 PM

Well, in that case, it is alright if I used them for a text based RP for the gun shop? I had a format set up, where all of the firearms needed to be resized, oriented to the left, with a white background. I'd really like you to approve them, as they are freaking awesome images, and a pain in the ass to match but they are yours, so if you want me to take 'em down, say the word.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:47 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Well, in that case, it is alright if I used them for a text based RP for the gun shop? I had a format set up, where all of the firearms needed to be resized, oriented to the left, with a white background. I'd really like you to approve them, as they are freaking awesome images, and a pain in the ass to match but they are yours, so if you want me to take 'em down, say the word.
Eh? What? Uh, no. The images (for now) are only for IMFDB. Since they take me so long to do, I don't allow other sites to pirate the images. Thanks for your understanding.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Alright, all the content I coud get rid of is gone. I lost about 30 images, and it's gonna be a pain to find any that will fit the format, or that were even close to being as good as what you had, but I get the whole "taking what's not yours" mindset. Let me know if you change your mind.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:28 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
What about years at the end of some films that aren't remakes? As in the year the movie came out
For originals, I would think it's not necessary to put the year down, but for remakes, I think it would be better.