imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
grynning

Default Need help cleaning up images...

Hey, just made my first page, for Ghost Dog.

However, I can't get the images to look right at all, a lot of them are the wrong size or get re-sized when I thumbnail them. Is there a way to re-size images within the site, or do I have to do it manually on my PC and re-upload all of them?

Also any other help fixing up the page would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:25 PM

That is a very good job for your first article. I think that some of the pictures, the ones with the thick white borders, need to be edited on your computer.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:33 PM
grynning

I tried cropping the pics and re-uploading them, but they're still too big and get made way too small by thumbnailing them. What's the "right" size for a small to medium sized pic for the site?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by grynning View Post
I tried cropping the pics and re-uploading them, but they're still too big and get made way too small by thumbnailing them. What's the "right" size for a small to medium sized pic for the site?
The rules state either 500px or 600px. Most of the veteran members use 500px if the screenshot is 'not so great in quality'. If it looks kinda bad in 600px, by all means MAKE IT 500px.

600px is mostly meant for widescreen (and beautiful looking) screencaps from high quality DVD captures, or blu ray. 600px is NOT for full screen shots, or else the vertical space takes just too much space.

Also it looks like the images came from different sources. WTF? try to make all the images look the same as far as dimensions (widescreen 16:1 etc).

I've even cropped good promotional pics if they showed the gun in good detail, to make the promo pic LOOK like a widescreen capture if the page had all widescreen caps. That way it doesn't break up the standard format of the page.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:43 PM
grynning

All the images were just me hitting print screen when I was able to pause the DVD playback at different times. They may look different because of my clumsy cropping and cutting and pasting. I'm really not very experienced with making an image a certain size base on pixel count, all I really know is bigger or smaller. What would be the easiest way to do that with, say, MS paint?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by grynning View Post
All the images were just me hitting print screen when I was able to pause the DVD playback at different times. They may look different because of my clumsy cropping and cutting and pasting. I'm really not very experienced with making an image a certain size base on pixel count, all I really know is bigger or smaller. What would be the easiest way to do that with, say, MS paint?
Get a DVD screencapture software. They're free on the net. They will capture the images all at the same size. You will have to crop the image, but if you want to "play with the big boys" (evil laugh)! (be a part of IMFDB ), you gotta learn the tools
Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Yeah, as a personal preference, I'd say make the images at least 500px if they can "handle" it.
I love reading a page with big pretty screenshots, and when they are the same size as, or smaller than(god forbid) the gun images, it's really too bad.

For example, my base line is Gun image: 300px, Screencap: 500px.