imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-16-2011, 02:39 AM

Default Gun regrets, "the one that got away".

Gun regrets, "the one that got away".

I'm sure we all have had a few times in our lives that we were going to buy or could have bought, swapped or picked up a great deal on a special piece that just got away.

I've had plenty like years back maybe around 1975 or so...before all the tighter gun laws and good computer tracking...I was in a bar (lot of good stories start that way).

I was talking to this guy, didn't really know him, got around to talking about guns he later said could use the money and had a gun to sell, a chrome S&W Model 29 said "it was never fired", hmmmm, well I said maybe.

He went out to his car and brought it in (the bar owner was a relative, no sweat there) well it was immaculate!! Set in a beautiful case, all the extras, cleaning brushes the works.

Wanted $400, went down to $200 and I had the cash.....but I kept thinking is it hot or whatever, I passed.

Geezzzz, did I let a gem get away? I think about it every time I see a big .44.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 AM

I could have bought a used Springer instead of my shitty High Standard. I only saw the Springfield AFTER I had Bought the High Standard, even though I had walked around the whole gunshow looking for a 1911. I should have looked harder before I bought something

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 05-17-2011, 01:28 AM
IMFDB Admin

WWII Colt M1911A1 for around $550, it had been modified. adjustable sights, different trigger etc, but nothing that couldn't have been reversed. I had the money for it at the time, but decided to wait for a better one. Ones in worse condition, sell for more nowadays.

Colt Series 70 Combat Government for $600 or 650, it was well used. But still good for the price. A customer who owned us money was supposed to come by in the morning to pay us, the auction didn't run out until lunch, but the guy didn't show up until the afternoon after the auction had already ran out. Didn't want to risk bidding and have to borrow.

Just recently a satin nickel SIG P226 for for $490, waited too long and someone else got it. But I think I ended up with something better.

Last edited by predator20; 05-17-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Mine was a Magnum Research Baby eagle .380 that I sold for $400 so I could buy a glock 19...I regret it almost every day since...but i still like my 19
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia View Post
Mine was a Magnum Research Baby eagle .380 that I sold for $400 so I could buy a glock 19...I regret it almost every day since...but i still like my 19
Wait, they make a Jericho in .380? Or do you mean a Micro Desert Eagle?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Wait, they make a Jericho in .380? Or do you mean a Micro Desert Eagle?
Yes...i mean the Magnum Research "Micro" eagle. It just fit in the pocket so nice...the Glock 19 conceals easy enough with a inside the pants holster but nothing like a pocket gun.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia View Post
Yes...i mean the Magnum Research "Micro" eagle. It just fit in the pocket so nice...the Glock 19 conceals easy enough with a inside the pants holster but nothing like a pocket gun.
http://www.gunblast.com/MicroDesertEagle.htm

A nice review on the pistol. I was under the impression they weren't very good, guess I was wrong. Since it's a clone of another pistol, I guess it's not surprising that it's well made, despite Magnum Research's hit or miss works.

Personally I prefer a gun I can fit in my hand, and one that goes single action after firing. An 8lb trigger in a gun I can barely hold makes shooting somewhat difficult, and if I needed to pull it out and shoot quick, I'd doubt my abilities to use it accurately.

But to each his own.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 PM

if i could only have one gun then i wouldnt even gave it a second look...but for a close range self-defence pistol that you want to be able to conceal no matter what you happen to be wearing it is hard to beat. You can double tap a bad primer unlike the majority of 380 pocket guns and since the trigger is the safty i had no problem with a 8lb. If i wanted a full grip with a beautiful 3.5lb trigger i would use my kimber 10mm customized eclipse.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 PM
IMFDB Admin

I wouldn't mind getting one of these (bottom). The grip doubles as a holster (which is great because it's compact but you can hold onto it), it's kinda like having a pocket knife, except it's a gun. .22 Magnum is a much better round than people give it credit for imo. For close range this would be great.

But I'm straying off the topic of this thread.

A Colt SP1 AR-15 with all original parts (including preban bayonet lug and flash hider), great condition. I got to test fire it, and I liked it a lot. Was worth a good amount (in the low thousands). Along with it, the guy had a second AR-15, a Colt Sporter II HBAR. It had the magazine release without the fencing (which is common on the Sporters, despite it being an A2 gun) and shot well. Had the bayonet lug chopped and the flash hider welded in place though.

I had to choose which AR I wanted, along with a Bushmaster M4A3, and I ended up choosing the Bushmaster. I'm not truly heartbroken in my decision, but they were nice guns I wish I could have held onto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAAGripfolder.jpg (67.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 AM

Narrowly missed a Webley-Fosbery I could have had for $5000 (hey, it's a Webley-Fosbery). By the time I made up my mind to buy it the old man selling it had passed away. Love to know what ended up happening to it...