imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 05-24-2016, 09:41 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've always thought the video game was the 3rd movie

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-24-2016, 11:11 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I thought so too. Aykroyd should've just left it at that.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I thought so too. Aykroyd should've just left it at that.
Same here.

Quote:
"The premise is absurd?" It's a comedy about hunting ghosts with portable nuclear reactors, what's the expectation here?

I'm just not willing to dismiss it based on one trailer (I haven't seen the second one.) I like the writer/director, and I like most of the cast (not a huge fan of Leslie Jones.) I'm just going to keep an open mind.
I believe he was talking about specific aspects to the premise for this one. That said, the thing isn't that it's absurd but that they made it work in the original. Not so sure here, though.

Don't get me wrong, I don't look for any movie to suck, but I also can only go by what I see. And what I see, simply put, doesn't look all that good. Feig indeed isn't some chump which is why I have any hope myself.

I do think Akyroyd does have a hard time letting go - But it can't all rest on him; somebody still had to say 'yes'. In any event I wouldn't have minded something new for GB, despite my default disdain for reboots but again, I'm not not overly optimistic on this. If nothing else then because of the argument that if it's good, it'll be all about the women, while if it's bad, it's because nobody accepted the women. That will loom regardless.

Bah. I'm no huge GB fan so I don't have much a dog in this fight. Again, just calling the shit like I see it. If nothing else though there will be other things that will arise for the franchise, which is good.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:31 PM

On the other hand, the Independence Day sequel looks even better with this latest extended clip. Still think something seems a bit off.. can't put my finger on it. But again, looks like it'll be pretty good.

And on games, I'm not seeing what the big deal is with Overwatch.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:08 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
Still think something seems a bit off.. can't put my finger on it..
Yeah, Will Smith is not in the movie

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 05-26-2016, 06:36 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
On the other hand, the Independence Day sequel looks even better with this latest extended clip.
MAGAZI...oh sorry, reflex action.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I finally got around to watching Spectre, and I liked it, but Bond shooting down a helicopter from a speedboat with his PPK might be the most unbelievable scene in the history of the franchise.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Will Smith is not in the movie
Lol, that's not really it. Though Smith not coming back when practically everybody else is does suck though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
MAGAZI...oh sorry, reflex action.
Hey, I'm that way too man, but I used the proper term here. Promise!

Quote:
I finally got around to watching Spectre, and I liked it, but Bond shooting down a helicopter from a speedboat with his PPK might be the most unbelievable scene in the history of the franchise.
I agree but that said that sounds like more reason for me to get around to watching it..

Still wonder who the next will be. I heard Gillian Anderson make a blurb the other day about wanting to go for it as the first female Bond. I'm hardly some PC type but honestly that's hardly the worst suggestion I've heard, she might be quite good - if they go that way about it, that is.

Finally, on the game tip, still don't see the big deal with Overwatch, and No Man's Sky has been delayed, which kinda sucks. Civ VI coming out looks good, at least as far as Civ games go anyway.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:02 AM

Quote:

Still wonder who the next will be. I heard Gillian Anderson make a blurb the other day about wanting to go for it as the first female Bond. I'm hardly some PC type but honestly that's hardly the worst suggestion I've heard, she might be quite good - if they go that way about it, that is.
Or, you know, they could make a new franchise rather than changing a fundamental part of a character (Bond is outright stated to have been meant to be a white, womanizing, borderline alcoholic) just so that they can make a low-effort movie no one can criticize without people ripping them a new asshole over "misogyny" (hey, just like the new Ghostbusters!)

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 05-31-2016, 07:17 PM
IMFDB Admin

Well yeah, Ian Fleming has reportedly said Sir Christopher Lee's career during WWII was a direct inspiration for James Bond.

I hate how they think if they reverse gender iconic character for the sake of being PC, that it makes a good character. As a parody, sure. Even as something serious...maybe.

But really? Does everyone want a female James Bond to be pretty much Black Widow? She's pretty much a badass assassin spy type who has no personal love interest and most likely have slept around.