imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-04-2013, 05:40 AM

Default Beretta 92F?

So as it turns out, I have enough pennies in my piggy bank to swing another new handgun. I was looking at getting an American or Italian 92FS from the late 1980s/early 1990s with no warning label. I found a reasonably priced auction for an Italian model and hit the Buy It Now button with great enthusiasm. After I had bought it though, I noticed one of the pictures of the slide said 92F and not FS. I notified the seller as to the issue, and they seem to be willing to let me pass on the auction with no penalty, but I'm wondering if I ought to pass on it at all. Over the last few hours I've been weighing the pros and cons to owning the F over waiting for who knows how long to find an FS with no warning label at a reasonable price. Anybody have any advice regarding getting the F or waiting for something better? My gut says "get what you really want and pass on this" but I want to know if anyone else has any words of wisdom.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Well if that isn't what you want I wouldn't get it. Ultimately it's your call though. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

Not sure what you decided to do. But I would have went through with it. But if the seller had it listed as an FS, you got every right to back out if an FS was what you really wanted. Other than the notch in the slide, there's really not much of a difference between the two. I actually tried to get another 92F after giving my granny my beater model, but got a outbid. It was a super clean late 80s Italian model. Ended up getting the Inox. I've considered picking up an M9 just to have an M9. They don't have the shit warnings on them either.

Last edited by predator20; 11-10-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:01 PM

I ended up not getting it because it wasn't an FS, and I want that hammer pin and the markings, and because the gun wasn't immaculate, and the price was a tad high for what it was. I'll stick it out for an FS, or even an Inox if I can spare the change.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I've considered picking up an M9 just to have an M9.
Civilians can get M9-marked Berettas?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-11-2013, 07:56 PM

Yeah, I've seen more Commercial M9s for sale locally than Beretta 92FSs, it's kind of cool. If I recall, all of the markings are identical to an M9, save for a specialized serial number for civilian legality. I'd rather have a 92FS myself, but an M9 is cool too since they have the straight dust cover and other traditional features.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Civilians can get M9-marked Berettas?
Civilian M9s have gotten much more common in the last few years. Used to they only made special editions and limited runs. If buying brand new, the straight dust cover is reason enough alone to get an M9 over an FS. Not having the warnings is bonus.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:59 AM

If that's the case then, MPM, we better start seeing some real M9s in movies soon!

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-12-2013, 11:30 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
If that's the case then, MPM, we better start seeing some real M9s in movies soon!
Seeing as how the M9 image we have is one of MPM's images from a movie armoury, I'll go out on a limb and say that they have already appeared in a lot of stuff. The thing is though that the only real difference between an older 92FS and an M9 is that the M9 lacks the rounded cut out part at the top of the backstrap so of it is being held you have pretty much no chance of being able to tell them apart anyway.