imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 PM

There was some talk about the Desert Eagle on the Fringe page.
In one episode an assassin uses a suppressed Desert Eagle. From an aesthetic standpoint this works, because he's a huge guy, tall and very heavy.

Same reason that small handed actors always get compact guns, like Agent Dunham in Fringe using a Glock 26, or Trinity in the Matrix using Beretta Cougars.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Here's a stupid accessory. Suppressors that either doesn't suppress the weapon or flash

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 PM

Like Leon's compensated Berettas?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
Like Leon's compensated Berettas?
Oh that's a WHOLE different form of oximoron

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 03-05-2010, 12:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to The Mercenary Send a message via AIM to The Mercenary

Ive not been on here for a while but heres my point, why did'nt the armourers of movies like TS not chop up a few different guns and try to create something thats both futuristic and can knock the hell out of a 6ft-8ft cyborg? I mean why could'nt they chop 40-50 inches off a barrel of a M82 Barrett, fair enough its a killer to shoot in the real world but in a movie against a T600 it would be cool. Its just a thought, may be we may see something like this if theres a sequel to either TS or Predators?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:29 AM
IMFDB Admin

I guess they wanted to use real world weapons in TS before they bring in the plasma rifles. Maybe in the next movie.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:37 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just saw an episode of M*A*S*H full of Korean-war Chinese soldiers carrying Valmet M/76s (and wearing SKS ammo pouches, of course).
Old 06-12-2010, 12:14 AM

I saw that one, but I thought that they were Type 84s or something like that. That's the episode where HAwkeye and MArgret are stuck in the middle of nowhere together. BTW, there are some PPShs in the episode "Rainbow Bridge"
Old 06-12-2010, 06:12 PM

Well, the PPSh makes total sense, but not only are Valmet M/76s pretty distinctly Finnish, the Chinese never had AKs in Korea. Hell, I don't even think many Soviet units had any at that point - when they adopted it the AK was originally supposed to be squad leaders of troops armed with the SKS. It's only when the Soviet army went fully mech that it became general issue.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:20 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin1 View Post
I saw that one, but I thought that they were Type 84s or something like that.
Neither the Type 56 nor the Type 84 was being imported to the U.S. at the time that MASH was on the air. The Valmets, on the other hand, started coming to this country in the late-70s, so they would've been available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Well, the PPSh makes total sense, but not only are Valmet M/76s pretty distinctly Finnish, the Chinese never had AKs in Korea. Hell, I don't even think many Soviet units had any at that point - when they adopted it the AK was originally supposed to be squad leaders of troops armed with the SKS. It's only when the Soviet army went fully mech that it became general issue.
That's how the Chinese used AKs for most of the 1960s, too - they classified their AKs as the Type 56 submachine gun, which implies it was meant to be issued only to squad leaders. Their SKS copy was called the Type 56 carbine, and was the standard-issue to most PLA soldiers.

As for the Soviets, I believe it was after the Hungarian Uprising (in 1956) that they realized that the AK was better used as a standard-issue infantry rifle than as a submachine gun only (even though Mikhail Kalashnikov himself had always intended it to be an infantry rifle). This is also part of the reason that the AKM was developed.

Last edited by MT2008; 06-12-2010 at 07:38 PM.