imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I think since Colt designed the M4 for the military, it would be a copyright name under their company. That's why the Canadian M4s aren't called M4s and neither are the English ones used by SAS

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Game guns are made to different designs sometimes.
FPS games usually have to model them more thoroughly, but other games can get away with different stuff.
Max Payne 2, fr'instance has low detail models for the most part, but high detail textures I think they scanned in or something.

Looking back over that post it doesn't make much coherent sense. I've been awake for a long time now, probably should go to bed.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I think since Colt designed the M4 for the military, it would be a copyright name under their company. That's why the Canadian M4s aren't called M4s and neither are the English ones used by SAS
Yeah, but foreign countries have their own military designations, there's no reason to expect them to use ours. And Colt would have a patent on the design, but there's no reason to expect them to have a trademark on a name that they didn't come up with themselves, is there? (Do companies like Bushmaster or Stag Arms pay Colt a license fee for their M4s then?)
Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 AM

I think the name thing is about brand power.
Like you can make Coke if you could figure out the recipe. That's no prob.
But if you call it Coke so people will buy it, there's the obvious rub.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:30 PM

M4 was already determined to be a generic term for shorter ar-15, colt and bushmaster already had that argument.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
You can copyright shape?
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
M4 was already determined to be a generic term for shorter ar-15, colt and bushmaster already had that argument.
...which is exactly why it would be almost impossible to copyright the shape of the M4, unlike H&Ks or Glocks. If I recall, the M4A1 was called the "Maverick M4A1" in the retail version of "Counter-Strike".
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Why do you think most Airsoft gun makers STOPPED making Glocks, because Glock copyrighted the SHAPE of the weapon. H&K did the same thing.
Wow, Glock actually got to copyright the shape of its pistols? It's so boxy and generic it's no wonder that the original Half-Life FPS game made it the standard sidearm there, since in those days they could get away with such a limited polygon budget and still make the pistol look realistic.

If I had more time I would have made this thread myself, because something about guns in video games greatly confuses me: just how much is the licensing fee to use the real names of guns? Anyone got a ballpark figure? Is it so high that only the best-financed companies can get real names for all their guns?

I'm also very confused as to why H&K didn't give its permission for something like SWAT 4. Isn't the HK MP5 one of the most iconic guns for Counter-Terrorist units like SWAT teams? Why wouldn't they want the MP5 to be associated with that game? Colt and Benelli agreed; why not H&K?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post

I'm also very confused as to why H&K didn't give its permission for something like SWAT 4. Isn't the HK MP5 one of the most iconic guns for Counter-Terrorist units like SWAT teams? Why wouldn't they want the MP5 to be associated with that game? Colt and Benelli agreed; why not H&K?
Wasn't there a UMP in that game?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-05-2011, 06:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
That has nothing to do with copyrights, that's simply a matter of different designation preferences (the British MoD designates everything with "L" - i.e. L85 - rather than "M", as in the U.S. military). The M4s used by the SAS are not manufactured in British factories (as best I know, they use American-made weapons supplied by the U.S. government), so copyright issues are irrelevant.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Wasn't there a UMP in that game?
Yes, there was an HK UMP, and an HK G36C, but all of them went under assumed names. Pretty weird given how much H&K is represented among the arsenals of counter-terrorist units.