imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-13-2015, 12:56 AM

I wouldn't mind getting a nice shoulder holster, heard they're a bit better if you have back issues

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-13-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I wouldn't mind getting a nice shoulder holster, heard they're a bit better if you have back issues
Alot better for drawing when your sitting in the driver's seat as well. Only real problem is you can never take off your jacket/overgarment.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:38 AM

Shoulder holsters are good for driving and bad for about everything else.
Of most concern is the design. You have to worry about proper fitting to your body, as well as wearing generous attire to properly conceal it.
Most quality models have the gun pointing outward, so you'll be muzzling everyone around you when you walk around with it holstered, and when you draw the gun. You also have the potential to muzzle your support arm as you draw if you don't train extensively. Just as well, most quality shoulder holster options don't offer passive retention models, meaning you will be stuck with an active retention holster and have to fumble with a button to get your gun out. This, combined with the awkward angle of the draw and the leather makeup of the holster makes for a far more complicated draw than waist or other systems. Leather has also fallen by the wayside as a holster material because of its limited lifespan and tendency to retain water and particulate, and the common quality shoulder rigs are leather. A hot Texas climate will amplify all the negative feelings of the design as well.

They are likely to be worse on your back than a waistband holster or other option too. Think about it, you are now taking the weight of your gun and spare ammunition and supporting them with your shoulders and back instead of your belt around your waist/hips. You also have to tack on the weight of the overall rig as opposed to just the holster/carrier, and the pressure that the rig exerts, which could be quite a bit if the rig is tight as it ought to be.

I can see how a cop would like one since they are probably in a car all day and they don't really need to worry about concealment, but they are usually a bad option for concealed carriers, especially in hot states. I've toyed with buying a Galco Miami Classic II a couple of times just to have the option, but I always change my mind because it's just not a useful product, and at its price point I could buy a lot of other stuff that would work much better or be more fun. Suffice it to say, I personally don't recommend shoulder holsters whatsoever if the goal is legitimate concealed carry.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:56 PM

Shoulder holsters can be useful but I wouldn't recommend them for the average joe. If you get a shoulder holster for serious use make sure its a good quality/expensive one and steer clear of UTG type nylon stuff (You should steer clear of nylon for holsters with the exception of some pocket holsters and ankle rigs). If a cop/detective carried his pistol in a shoulder holster he would likely get laughed at for looking too hollywood, Only people ive seen professionally use shoulder holsters for their sidearms are Army commisioned officers and Police Aviation officers.

If your getting a holster for concealed carry I'd recommend a leather or kydex Inside the Waistband (IWB) holster; And always make sure its made for that specific weapon or your not going to have good retention.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've tried cross drawing a gun with a shoulder holster and it takes a bit of time to bring the gun at the ready. In a car, I've seen protective details do it if you are the driver and you stay in the car or also carry a primary subgun that hangs on your dominant side but for the average carrier, I think it's and old style holster.

Some people also have problems with holsters that have no "lock" on them, like either push a button or a switch or move a flap to get the gun out because they are afraid that in a struggle, the gun can drop and even with tough holsters like the Ravens other Kydex, there is a chance if you are in a fight, like if you are wrestling a guy and not minding your gun, it might get snagged out by something, but good kydex holsters have a pretty good retention even if you fall and tumble and I have seen guns do demos where they fall and tumble and the gun stays in.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-14-2015, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Some people also have problems with holsters that have no "lock" on them, like either push a button or a switch or move a flap to get the gun out because they are afraid that in a struggle, the gun can drop and even with tough holsters like the Ravens other Kydex, there is a chance if you are in a fight, like if you are wrestling a guy and not minding your gun, it might get snagged out by something, but good kydex holsters have a pretty good retention even if you fall and tumble and I have seen guns do demos where they fall and tumble and the gun stays in.
I'm uncomfortable with holsters with no lock on them if the holster is owb/not concealed. If someone sneaks up on you (or if your waiting in a line or something) it shouldn't be a simple as pulling the gun out. IWB/concealed holsters are different and I consider the concealment to be the "lock".
Old 07-14-2015, 11:53 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

A lot of classes will teach you how to defend yourself from getting your gun from being taken and it's about struggling against someone who is trying to take your gun. Though the purpose of concealed carry is concealment. If no one knows you are armed, they can't take your gun. That's the point of hiding the gun unless you want to open carry

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”