imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 10-19-2016, 02:19 PM

Default Are the "you may also like" ads on the wiki really necessary?

If you go to the wiki and don't log in, you might be visually confronted with several "You may also like" ads at the bottom of the page. Most of them are of the "one weird tip" variety, in other words, scams promising dubious diabetes cures, tinnitus cures, ways for men to "bulk up," get-rich-quick schemes, etc.

These ads have been thoroughly debunked as bait for scams intended to fleece people of money through auto-renewed purchases of dubious products, or promises of secret/"banned" knowledge that is often widely and freely available from legitimate sources, such as how to control some forms of diabetes through diet and exercise or even how to prep for disaster on your own. The so-called "diabetes destroyer" often seen on these ads seems tailored for the desperate, and has been debunked, not that you would know it with the wealth of fake review sites for that product around.

I don't think these ads leading to likely scams need to be on this wiki at all. Just how much ad revenue is necessary for this website to run? I don't mind the ads on the wiki for firearms-related items like ammunition and flash or sound suppressors. We could even have ads for online retailers of the media with entries on this wiki, because if someone thinks a movie/game/TV show on the wiki looks interesting, they might just want to buy a copy online. But to me, seeing ads for likely scams seems very out of place on a wiki intended to catalogue firearms as completely and truthfully as possible from media within its mandate.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:47 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
If you go to the wiki and don't log in, you might be visually confronted with several "You may also like" ads at the bottom of the page. Most of them are of the "one weird tip" variety, in other words, scams promising dubious diabetes cures, tinnitus cures, ways for men to "bulk up," get-rich-quick schemes, etc.

These ads have been thoroughly debunked as bait for scams intended to fleece people of money through auto-renewed purchases of dubious products, or promises of secret/"banned" knowledge that is often widely and freely available from legitimate sources, such as how to control some forms of diabetes through diet and exercise or even how to prep for disaster on your own. The so-called "diabetes destroyer" often seen on these ads seems tailored for the desperate, and has been debunked, not that you would know it with the wealth of fake review sites for that product around.

I don't think these ads leading to likely scams need to be on this wiki at all. Just how much ad revenue is necessary for this website to run? I don't mind the ads on the wiki for firearms-related items like ammunition and flash or sound suppressors. We could even have ads for online retailers of the media with entries on this wiki, because if someone thinks a movie/game/TV show on the wiki looks interesting, they might just want to buy a copy online. But to me, seeing ads for likely scams seems very out of place on a wiki intended to catalogue firearms as completely and truthfully as possible from media within its mandate.
You may have to message Bunni directly for this. He's paying for the site on his own.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:25 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

BTW, you can also set it so you don't see any ads when you log in.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
BTW, you can also set it so you don't see any ads when you log in.
Yes, I know that registered users have the option to block ads, but it doesn't change how the ads I mentioned are from problematic sources.

If Bunni needs the money, he should look into getting ads from online retailers legitimately selling the movies and games catalogued on this wiki, rather than ads that are clickbait scams.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:16 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post

If Bunni needs the money, he should look into getting ads from online retailers legitimately selling the movies and games catalogued on this wiki, rather than ads that are clickbait scams.
You're at least the second user to bring this up. Send him a PM.