imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

You want dark, go watch the episodes where Darth Maul returns...holy shit those were just dark and disturbing. Or how about the season 4 episode about the slavers. or maybe the episode where Anakin straight up leaves a guy behind to be pretty much be killed for double crossing because the spy was in love with his wife

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-05-2013, 01:14 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
She quit the Jedi order at the end of the last episode, but they don't really write her out. The annoying thing is that they have episodes made that will never air on TV. With the announcement that they were stopping it they showed a clip from a future episode that was an awesome battle, where one of the clones had head trauma making him execute order 66 early and shoot his Jedi commander from behind in the head, which is pretty freaking dark for a cartoon. I think they are going to distribute them at some point in the future either online or DVD, but it is just annoying that the Episode VII means they pretty much dropped tools on everything else.

With Disney shutting down Lucasarts the other day the chances of 1313 coming out are looking slimmer and slimmer, particularly annoying as it was pretty near completion, and the fact that it now appears that Boba Fett was the player character.
I give them a lot of credit for being able to walk the fine line between being a kids show, since it's still on the CN side, while still being mature enough to appeal to adult fans.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:33 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I give them a lot of credit for being able to walk the fine line between being a kids show, since it's still on the CN side, while still being mature enough to appeal to adult fans.
They didn't always do it successfully though. Rather than having the episodes being balanced it was more that they alternated between relatively dark and serious arcs and then stupid goofy kids stuff. Pretty much if the episode had clones it was good, otherwise it was a bit of a crap shoot.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:58 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've actually never considered Star Wars Clone Wars a "kid show". It has a lot of themes that younger audiences might not understand much. There's a lot of politics and emotion in the story that even adults can enjoy.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
They didn't always do it successfully though. Rather than having the episodes being balanced it was more that they alternated between relatively dark and serious arcs and then stupid goofy kids stuff. Pretty much if the episode had clones it was good, otherwise it was a bit of a crap shoot.
I think that's what turned me off of the show, I think I hit a run of the kiddie episodes.

The thing that always bothered me about the show is that kids now think Anakin is a hero. I was discussing the show with my little cousin, who was five at the time, and I found out that he had never seen episode III (which is a lot darker than I and II,) so he had no idea that Anakin was Vader. (And I'm sorry to say I inadvertently spoiled it for him, but come on, is that still considered a spoiler?)
Old 04-05-2013, 04:16 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I've actually never considered Star Wars Clone Wars a "kid show". It has a lot of themes that younger audiences might not understand much. There's a lot of politics and emotion in the story that even adults can enjoy.
I would agree with that on the whole, but it just makes the episodes that are more "kiddie" all the more jarring and out of place. For example there was that recent arc with the droid strike force with the tiny alien colonel inside one of them, that was pretty "WTF?!?" compared to the general tone of the series.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:37 PM

I tried to watch the Clone Wars on CN, even went and saw the movie with a buddy of mine, specifically saying that I wanted a chance to root for the clones as good guys. However, couldn't get past the mood whiplash of the shoe bouncing back and forth from swerious arcs to kiddie arcs.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

http://kotaku.com/im-a-game-designer...-end-470868225

Interesting article by a shooter and a game designer.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
I tried to watch the Clone Wars on CN, even went and saw the movie with a buddy of mine, specifically saying that I wanted a chance to root for the clones as good guys. However, couldn't get past the mood whiplash of the shoe bouncing back and forth from serious arcs to kiddie arcs.
Yeah the first 2 seasons had that problem and parts of 3. For the most of 3 through 5, the series was pretty consistent with its mood, especially in the final season.......except the very long and unnecessary droid story arc. That went NOWHERE. I had been showing a buddy of mine the show as they come out and completely skipped this story arc. I'd rather play him episodes with Jar Jar than the droids.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 PM

I can't quite bring myself to say "Olympus Has Fallen" was bad, but the CGI felt like something from the Sci-Fi channel monster movie of the week type film.

And even good old Morgan Freeman just seemed sorta flat.

And the fact that they conviently overlooked the Marine Barracks at Eight and I, specifically positioned there by Thomas Jefferson so as to have Marines within easy marching distance of the Capitol and White House.

And the obvious idiocy with the C-130 gunship.

And for all that, I just can't bring myself to say it is bad.

And why the hell do people insist on putting ACOGs on MP-5s?

Last edited by SPEMack618; 04-06-2013 at 05:47 PM.